Hellcat Jr, VS. GT500 racing on closed track....

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Eric B., Nov 25, 2015.

1. Eric B.

Eric B. Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hellcat A8 (stock, with bald a$$ drag radials, VS, supposedly stock (idk about that) GT500.

First race is a 60-170, second race is 55-175.

Little bit of foul language, SORRY! Car had to take the walk of shame........:(

OBVIOUSLY FILMED ON LOCATION IN MEXICO @ A CLOSED RACE TRACK! :cool:

2. Kaneda

Kaneda BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    so the hellcat lost and then broke. seemed like both cars are even. Probably easier to drive the stang fast.

3. Cerino2000

Cerino2000 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ya that looks dead even to me and that's the only gt500 I've seen yet that was able to keep up with a hellcat. Looked fun regardless.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Sb31767

Sb31767 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Power to weight gt500 is not way off and likely better aero. With a hidden tune or pulley change undetected i could see this being dead even

5. Ponycarkilla

Ponycarkilla Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's what I smell, I know people that have driven both and say the HC feels faster. Plus the HC had a passenger racing with the window down, that creates a lot of drag at those speeds. The first race the HC started pulling ahead and the stang shut down. Second race the stang stole the hit and stayed one car ahead. Give the stang a 200lb passenger and do it over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's not invincible!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. im3cpo

im3cpo Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had a 2013 GT500 which I traded in on my Hellcat. I bought the GT500 new and put 10,000 miles on it in total. I have only driven my 6 speed Challenger Hellcat 200 miles thus far so I haven't put the Hellcat through its paces yet (and dont have a good feel for its power), but the GT500 is a scary fast car. The 2013/14 GT500 has 285/40 tires on the rear and dont start to grip until they get hot. That being said, if I down shifted to 3rd when going 70 MPH and just mashed the gas, the tires would roast and the tail would swing out to uncontrollable limits before the traction control would intervene. The GT500's #1 problem is the same as the Hellcat; traction!

I was not surprised by what I saw. The GT500 has less power, but its also much lighter compared to the Challenger Hellcat. The creature comforts are leaps and bounds better in the Hellcat though and its also a lot easier to drive.

8. INRIP

INRIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How did it break

9. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I own both....the HC is faster....much faster...

racing at 60 mph is just giving the GT500 the advantage

race from 0-100 and see which will win...the HC will kick its ass.....no way i can launch my M6 GT500 anywhere near as good as my A8 HC.....

just go from solid 1/4 mile times for this race....not a 60mph+ start off a website video

the GT500 is a more dangerous/unpredictable car....less weight and a less intrusive TC system is why i think it is

when i owned a 2011 392 and a 2013 gt500 vert i barely drove my 2011...it was a dog......now that i own a HC and sold the 2011 392 i barely drive the gt 500...i think i put 500 miles on it this year.....the vert is what makes it fun along w/ the m6

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. greenwithenvy

greenwithenvy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Obviously it was the hellcat drivers fault.......right J? ;)

The HC may not have been running at 100% since the throttle body broke right after. In Mexico, of course.....

But then again, it was probably the black hood slowing it down.

11. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I put a little over 24,000 miles on my 14 GT500. At 260 miles the car got exhaust, blower pulley (Lower 10% O.D.) throttle body, CAI and a tune. A little later on I lowered the car did a lot of suspension work and widened the back wheels for a set
    of 325 tires.

My Hellcat (Challenger) has only got about 3,000 miles on it now. I've had several "issues" with it so voiding the warranty
    without confidence in the drive line is not going to happen. I will say that the ADVERTISED power/torque ratings of the two
    cars being only 45 hp and 20 ft.lbs different make the cat more interesting to many buyers. But the cat has a smaller rear
    tire and much more importantly a 600 lb handicap. I don't thing that 45 hp makes up for 600 lbs. The Shelby was much
    more "exciting" to drive and also much harder to drive, even in stock form. The cat is an easy car to drive, mine is an A8
    so that really makes things easier.

These two cars (13/14 GT500 vs the Hellcat) are an obvious pair to compare to one another but they are really night and
    day different. I have never owned or drove a convertible GT500 only a coupe but it's almost "apples to oranges". My wife
    and some of my friends were scared of the Shelby. My wife will hop into the cat and run errands with our 10 year old
    daughter without thinking about it. No way would she ever drive the Shelby, not due to the M6 but due to the fact that
    the car would break traction very easy at any speed below 100.

I'm not knocking either car, they are both GREAT CARS! The GT500 is a bit "on the edge" all the time. If you are having
    an "off" day, don't get into the GT500. If you are having a "bad" day and want to unwind a bit, by all means jump into the
    cat and enjoy.

The Shelby had much better overall fit and finish than the cat and had zero issues. That said, I love the "retro" theme that
    Dodge was going for, they nailed it with the challenger overall and the cat is a much more comfortable and "user friendly"
    car. The cat's almost like a slightly smaller Cadillac with a big motor in it, a grand touring type of car. The GT500 is always set to "KILL" and has stepped out in the rear on me several times unexpectedly just changing lanes or passing
    another car.

Apples vs oranges / Shelby vs Hellcat. The Ford does have one distinct advantage over the cat that I think most will agree with. If you want to make mods to either car, the GT500 has a much better and in most cases a less costly after
    market support network than the Dodge. I hope that as time passes and more cats are out on the streets that the demand will drive more after market support.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jwilkinson

Jwilkinson Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I raced a GT500 recently, just a short burst from 80 mph to 130 mph. I was driving the speed limit (80) on the Interstate and he passed me. He slowed down and I got even with him in the passenger lane , he motioned he wanted to race. He got a slight jump on me, maybe half a car length, I downshifted and the Hellcat started eating him up. I had a 1-2 car length lead when he let off. I slowed down to the speed limit again, he passed and gave me a thumbs up. The GT500 is def no joke but my Hellcat ate his lunch that day. I have a 15' Challenger M6

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  13. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Outrunning Hellcats is not hard.

14. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just like it isnt hard to outrun modded sh*tbox 4th gens...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Jwilkinson

Jwilkinson Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It was that day!!