Hellcat overheating?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Wanz, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Wanz

Wanz Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Has anyone else had a problem with their hellcat overheating? It is at the dealership now but they said they see that it is overheating but don't know the problem. seeing if anyone else has had the problem so that i can point the dealership in the correct direction. I already told them to check thermostat.

Thanks,

Wanz

2. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Can you tell us what year your car is? The 2015's had some issues with radiators and hoses.

3. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi Wanz, a few owners have had issues with the cooling fans failing to work as they should

4. Cerino2000

Cerino2000 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Interesting. I was at my dealership last week getting pul changed and they had a brand new 2016 they were working on and I asked my he mechanic what he was doing and he said it had a cooling issue. I'll have to ask them what the deal was.

5. shadowsk

shadowsk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    EDIT: 2016 Challenger Hellcat

Hi, I just got home from towing mine to the dealership for overheating. It had been at the detail shop for 3 days getting detailed and a full clear bra put on. Leaving the detail shop I noticed the temps rise above normal and the cooling fan came on. Temps rose from normal 205 to 220 or so. I attributed it to maybe the 80 temps we had today. I drove it a couple miles before entering the freeway where it was stop and go for about 5 miles. During that period temps rose to 230 and came back down to 220. Cooling fan on the whole time. Then after a couple miles of stop and go the temps hit 250 and the small check engine overheating light came on for about 15 seconds and then the temps dipped back down to 240 and the light went off. I had an exit about a mile away and was getting off when I heard some banging. Actually felt it through the firewall and brake pedal. The temps hit 260 and the entire center display turned red with a large engine overheating warning. By this time I was at exit and when i came to stop sign to get off it started running erratically. I coasted into a gas station about 100 yards away. I let it idle hoping the temps would come down but after 10-15 secs they were hitting 265-270 so I shut it down. I heard terrible boiling noise. Looked under the hood and there was zero coolant in the reservoir and a stream of it where I had parked directly below the reservoir. I called roadside assistance and had it towed to the dealership. Unfortunately the service dept had already closed but they allowed me to park it inside as it crunk up fine after I got it off the tow truck. The salesman that sold me the car said it sounded like a loose hose had finally busted or come loose. The coolant temp and oil temps rose to 270 or so. I really hope nothing internally is messed up. Do you guys have any clue as to what happened or possibly anything I should ask or tell the service department tomorrow when I call in? Thanks.

6. yurdaddy

yurdaddy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know of at least 2 cats fca bought back in the last 2 wees for cooling issues. Mine being one of them. :mad:

7. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are tsbs and rapid responses out there for coolant weepage. Pm me your vin or ask that the dealership checks for them. Good luck with your cat

8. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    people, if your car is overheating... STOP DRIVING IT and TURN IT OFF :cool::)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. shadowsk

shadowsk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good idea in the left lane of a traffic jam. I was tryimg to get to a safe place to pull over.

10. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    miles of traffic jam and you say you couldnt get over ? come on man really? hey, its you car do as you wish.

" Then after a couple miles of stop and go the temps hit 250 and the small check engine overheating light came on for about 15 seconds and then the temps dipped back down to 240 and the light went off. I had an exit about a mile away and was getting off when I heard some banging. Actually felt it through the firewall and brake pedal. The temps hit 260 and the entire center display turned red with a large engine overheating warning."