Hellcat Owner looking for HP boost

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Blazin8888, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Blazin8888

Blazin8888 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. HC777

HC777 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I will say this and keep shouting from the roof tops....SUSPENSION UPGRADES for drag racing will do wonders. MT ET Streets are the best all around tire for hooking in the street and track. I have experience with Nitto 555 and was impressed on the street, but not the track. 1.6 was best. ET streets 1.4 60's on another car. Thats huge in 1/4 mile racing. Need weight transfer tho. These cars are too stiff all around.
    I drove a modded SRT8 auto with softer shocks in front and OMG what a difference! Front end would snap up and instant traction.

3. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    "Stock tires are just ok" I couldn't disagree more. The stock tires were junk I was running the Pirelli Summer tires and they sucked.

For all around improvement including: Launching, cornering, lateral grip, etc. the Nitto 555R in 305/35R/20 on the stock wheels have transformed my car in that I can better utilize the stock HP. Prior to installing these tires I was preparing to sell my Hellcat as I was so disgusted with the lack of traction. No drag radial made will be an ideal tire for wet weather but of all of the drag radials I believe the 555R is the best equipped to handle wet weather at least during early life while the tread is plentiful.

I believe the most important upgrade for the Hellcat is rear tires. Without being able to hook up all the power in the world is just a waste and is in fact dangerous. Prior to the Nitto upgrade I punched it on the freeway at 55MPH and lost traction on dry pavement. Tires were transformative in the sense that now even with stock HP the car is much more efficient at putting the power down in a meaningful way.

Coincidentally, a Dodge rep contacted me the other day and in the course of the conversation she implied that almost any performance mod to the engine/drivetrain would void the warranty. My suggestion would be to get traction handled and then see what you might need. But keep in mind the warranty will likely be voided with most performance mods. She even said, if you need mods, and need a warranty, wait for the warranty to expire first.

4. Blazin8888

Blazin8888 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  5. Silver Billet

Silver Billet Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Why would a Dodge rep contact you or was she just returning a call? Are tires considered a modification to the drivetrain?

6. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No, the call had nothing to do with tires. I had a problem several months ago with grease leaking from the driver's side CV boot. Of course, it was corrected by the dealership and they did an outstanding job. The replaced both CV Joints & Boots on the driver's side, the axle, etc., everything between the differential and the wheel.

The lady from Dodge was referring to "power adders:" For example, NOS, throttle bodies, SC pulleys, headers, performance tuning, etc. These were the items she implied would void the warranty.

7. jwalker793

jwalker793 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Would the DSS driveshaft fall into the performance category? Not worried, just curious.

8. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's not a power adder, I highly doubt that would be an issue.