Hellcat roll bars, harness bars, race seats, air bag warning lights and rear seat delete panels

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by carcass, Jun 12, 2016.

1. carcass

carcass Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm tired of not being supported well by the stock seat belt while on the track and am considering a roll bar, or harness bar, and a race seat.
    Please forgive me if there is already multiple threads on this and link them here for me and others to find if you know where they are on here,
    www.challengertalk.com has several threads I can see on the google search, but for whatever reason my computer is helpless to open anything there and crashes instantly.
    Creating this thread because I tried the search engine and google, and I came up with some articles and even a video of a kit, and I'd like to start a discussion on who has used one and what their results were.
    Do you have a race seat? How is it mounted and how far back/forward will it move if it has a slider?
    I get that modifying the interior is a drawback to a roll bar. I'm not here to dispute those drawbacks.
    Please limit the negative viewpoints on a harness bar or roll bars intrusion and value depreciation to the car, and focus on what works, the benefits of a roll bar over a harness bar and why.
    I'm going to link a few of the aftermarket pieces and any instructions I can find for bars and for aftermarket seats.
    I'm big and tall, this is a major reason for buying this car, so some information on how a roll bar modifies headroom if its just a four point, and how to bolt in a race seat and have it solidly mounted and braced to the back bar would be nice.
    Heres what I've found thus far.
    :
    an inexpensive and less intrusive harness bar is the Cipher auto unit.
    $229.00
    2008-2015 Dodge Challenger Cipher Racing Black Coating Custom Harness Bar [CPA5009HB-BK] - $229.00 : Cipher Auto!, Automotive Parts Accessories & Universal Racing Seats
    Heres the youtube video for a mustang type that they have, probly pretty close to a challenger one looking at the pictures

:
    next up is the razors edge unit,
    $799.88
    Tubular Chromoly Bolt-in Harness Bar 08-16 Challenger
    I haven't been able to find much instruction or install threads on this one, but it looks a little better than the Cipher unit but its also quadruple the price.
    :
    Heres the RPM bolt in roll bar kit which is pretty awesome, but requires cutting into the carpet, and drilling holes in the floor, it may provide some roll over protection but it looks like it bolts to sheet metal for the most part. But with this option you get swing out door bars and a possible chassis stiffening effect.
    $1,999.00 and an extra $350 with the passenger side down bar, which seams silly that they would even sell a kit with only a downbar on one side.
    rpm roll cage 1.jpg
    RPM Rollbar - Rollbars
    Heres a dang good install write up with some photos
    http://www.challengerforumz.com/threads/rpm-roll-bar-install.97817/

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. carcass

carcass Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    sparco evo 3.jpg sparco seat adapter.jpg sparco seat slider.jpg seats and seat brackets
    Heres a sparco seat adapter for the Challenger, anybody have a race seat in their car??
    Sparco USA
    and a pretty cool looking seat on there too,
    Sparco USA
    theres a bit of writing on the sparco site about the larger evo 3 not working in all aplications with their brackets?

3. carcass

carcass Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  4. carcass

carcass Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    the install write up I found had a couple photos of the down bar by the foot well area and it looks like the dead pedal may be compromised a bit and I use mine constantly, any comments? rpm bar install 1.jpg rpm bar install 2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. carcass

carcass Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    as a note,
    how about some weights,
    the rpm roll bar reportedly weighs about 45 pounds and race seats may be lighter than stock,
    with the removal of the rear seat, a rear seat delete kit or aluminum firewall,
    would the whole install break even with stock?

6. carcass

carcass Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    another good write up on the RPM bar same guy different forum
    Some discussion on whether or not the bar would punch through the floor pan during a rollover, I'm not convince it would, and if it did you'd be in bad shape anyways.
    The main hoop bar plates look wide and sit on a good looking section of floor,
    Rpm Roll Bar Installation - Knowledge Base

7. Wack_Cat

Wack_Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My wife wants me to get the razor edge one. She is scared I'll have a roll over. A racing seat would be way lighter then the stock seat, cause you would lose the motor and heaters and vents. I can't remember the exact number but I thought someone said the seats are over 45lbs each. My racing seats in my Jeep where light and where great to sit in all day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BigRed

BigRed Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great info, thx for sharing

9. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi carcass. I am not a fan of bolt in cages. Would rather go with a proper welded in cage. Ensure that when they bolt the seat subframe into the floor they massively strengthen that area. Use a recaro double locker. The only adjustable seat frame that is still FIA approved. Ensure your 6 point harness goes straight out the back of the seat to the harness bar. It is so long since I have seen my race car I cannot remember which seat I use so had to google it. A Cobra seat with the ears. Not so good for a street car but a must when we all have to wear a hans device. Just make sure you get the relaxed fit seat and not the ones they make for horse jockeys

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. carcass

carcass Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good advice,
    I appreciate the importance of solid safety equipment for sure. And going halfway with a bolt in cage is questionable. But I need some support, my stock setup isn't cutting it.
    What are the options for better belts?
    Or maybe just a better seat with the stock belt?
    I don't have to pass an nhra tech, but a bolt in cage actually will pass tech for this unibody car Right?

11. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I do not know US safety rules. But a six point harness is the best but a PITA on the road. Sort of. But I tend to leave the lap belts un done. Then the issue becomes that if you have a proper welded in cage with a roof bar above your windscreen. If you have an accident on the road and have not properly strapped yourself in you could mash your head on the cage. six of one half dozen of the other

12. carcass

carcass Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Where would a welded four point go?
    Would the floor be reinforced with more sheet metal or steel?
    To bolt in sub frame connectors?

13. DB2

DB2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What about the SRS bags in the seats? Just gonna leave the light on?

I really dont want to cage mine but i kinda like the bracket stuff.

14. Whalecat

Whalecat VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm having to file a fraud claim on RPM. I've been told mine has shipped for 3 weeks in a row, when I can get them to answer the phone or an email.

• Like Like x 1
  15. paul suloff

paul suloff Gold Member

Seats would be a serious weight reduction. I took the passenger seat out and it weighted 57# and drivers seat is more. I asked a tech at dealer how to disable the air bag warnings and seat belt chime (for aftermarket belts). System is very complicated and interfaces with many other computer fuctions. No easy solution. I for one am not willing to listen to constant warnings and dash lights.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1