Hellcat rubber

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by TNDan, Oct 4, 2014.

1. TNDan

TNDan Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd like To save the factory hellcat wheels and tires the abuse that is awaiting them.

Anyone out there taken the time to figure out a good replacement set for drag racing?

I suppose it could just be a separate set of rear wheels and tires. Drag radials.

Any specific brands/numbers appreciated.

2. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Like Like x 2
  3. cereal killer

cereal killer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Moved to tires and Wheels

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChallengerDad

ChallengerDad SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've been looking into the same thing. I want to find the very smallest, lightest rear wheels I can fit over the Brembos in the rear and mount up some DRs for the 1320'. It will probably take a half a day of trying on rims at the local performance tire center. Once I determine what wheels I can go with, I'll match the rubber to them.

For ordinary driving and "track days" at The Glen, I abuse my front tires much more than the rear, burning up the outside shoulders of the front rubber far quicker than my rears. The negative camber on our Challengers is brutal on tire wear, but it's essential for good "turn in" response.
    I replaced the original/optional front GoodYear F1 Supercar tires at 11,000 miles on my '09 SRT8. The rear tires had plenty of tread left on them. Then I got Viper rims and 4 more TPMS and mounted Nitto Invo's on those rims (slightly shorter sidewall / aspect ratio than stock) and stored the OEM wheels/tires (which are going back on the car for trade in - my friend is buying the Viper/Nitto set from me for his Detonator Yellow R/T at a great price). I also went with 10" rims in the back and mated them to 275-35/20s in the rear. Not much "ride quality" sacrificed, but a lot less flex and much more grip out of the corners. The Invo's have worn very well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great information. Thanks for sharing that.:)

6. ChallengerDad

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey, on the bright side, there's no "stagger" on the stock tires/rims on the Hellcat. (275-20's all the way around), so they can be rotated, unlike other Challenger SRTs that can only be rotated side to side (255's rear, 245s front, stock). :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was surprised by that when I had read it. I assumed they would be similar to previous years.:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Han

Han Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    im going to change it to a 20x10 in the front and a 20x12 in the rear.

9. ChallengerDad

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You're going to get a lot of "chatter" in the front wheels/tires if you go that big.
    When the '08 SRTs came out, people thought the front end was falling apart when backing out of the driveway at low speeds. Turned out to be the 245/45 20s in the front 'chattering" (such as backing out of the driveway). There's so much tire there that it was "hopping across the pavement" - partly due to the width of the tire, and partly because of the negative camber at "steering wheel lock".
    Just expect the noise before you switch the OEM setup out.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was reading an article where Tim K. Indicated that they put the widest ire on the car that would fit without issues on turning and fit on the wheel wells. What are your thoughts? I was thinking leave the front alone and just do wider on the back, but now I am not sure.:rolleyes:

11. ChallengerDad

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I put Viper rims on my '09 Challenger, I stayed with 9" rims in the front (Nitto Invos 245/40 20s - same size tire), and 10" wide rims in the back (Nitto Invos 275/356 20s - 30 mm wider tire). With the slightly lower front aspect ratio, and matching diameter on the rears (through an even lower aspect ratio), the car handled superbly, with the same "chatter" as the OEM tires in the front, but much better grip in the rear.
    With the Invos, I could accelerate hard through a turn, and the rear would "just start" to "step-out" on me. It was a very controllable "rear-end drift" that was dictated by the throttle.
    It gives you a feeling of being a "stunt driver" when the occasion arises........ to show up some @$$hat in a Murano with a Thule "coffin" strapped to the roof that sees the Challenger, gets a blast of testosterone and tries to "challenge" the Challenger.....only to see some tire smoke, the drivers side of your car (while he's in the right lane through the turn), and then your taillights getting much smaller very quickly.
    Of course, that's just a hypothetical story. I would never do such a thing on a public road...... ;)

The short answer to your question, is "yes, keep the front tires/wheels the same size, and go WIDER on the back.....as w i d e as you can fit in the wheel wells!" :D

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Awesome answer! Sounds like my hopothetical Corvette Dude that is gonna get a spankin in the near future! Nice job on putting the Murano in its place...hypothetically, of course. LOL;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think I'm going to go with a pair of super sports, 295/35 , see how they do for hooking up,, nitto is like a 1600 mile tire I heard,I don't want to by tires two times a year. I want something that will last, and preform great..

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Michael Jutovsky

Michael Jutovsky The Mean Green Raccoon Eating Machine Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Can't wait to hear how all of your guys' experimentation goes with tires on these bad boys! Not being "in the know" wrt wheels and tires I'm gonna have to let you guys figure out the best case scenario and will very much appreciate all of your efforts in advance! Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ChallengerDad

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    While I have no experience with Nitto drag radials, I ran Invo's on my Challenger for the last two and a half seasons. Since I told my dealer that my car would have the OEM Alcoa forged wheels and GoodYear F1 Supercar tires at trade-in, my friend wanted to buy my Viper wheels and Nitto Invo's for his Challenger when I got mine ready for trade-in. I took the Viper wheels with the Nitto Invo's and TPMS to him two weeks ago. The tires looked brand new (with about 11,000 miles of "spirited driving" on them). Since the front GoodYear F1s that originally came on the car were completely used up at the 11,000 mile mark, I was astounded to see how good the Nitto's looked when I cleaned them up for my friend. He'd been running GoodYear RSAs, and put the Invo's on his Challenger immediately. He went on two "cruises" in the first two days, and called me to tell me he couldn't believe how much "meat" was left on the tires, and how they made his Challenger drive, ride, and handle like a completely different car. (Sometimes you can "hear" someone smiling on the phone - this was one of those times).
    So I'm not sure who you heard Nitto's were 1600 mile tires from, but if they were talking about their performance road tires, my experience has been quite different from theirs.