Hellcat TR-6060 safety

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Dak59RT, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Dak59RT

Dak59RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Can anyone educate me on the safety of the challenger hellcats with the tr-6060? I was talking to my father earlier (who was big into drag racing back in the 60s) and he was asking me about whether the hellcat has scatter-shield. I can't really find anything online about it but from what I can tell, scatter shields are typically installed to protect your feet from getting chopped off if the clutch explodes (under full loads in cars with tons of power, especially launching). It looks like more modern high performance transmissions may have thicker blow-proof bell-housings, which integrate the safety of a scatter shield. I assume the tr-6060 has a blow-proof bell-housing, but I want to be sure.

Can anyone who knows about the tremec tr-6060 and the challenger hellcat give some input? Does it need an aftermarket upgrade to make it safer?

2. ChallengerDad

ChallengerDad SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BossHawg

BossHawg Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    With rev limiters, balanced fly wheels and the stronger metal used in bell housings you won't need a scatter shield in this transmission at the current power levels. Do you need a scatter shield? No. Would a scatter shield make you safer? Yes. Another reason us hot rodders retrofit newer transmissions into older cars is because they are way stronger.....unless you are running a glide. Lol

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dak59RT

Dak59RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the link.

I actually called Tremec earlier today and had an interesting conversation. Long story short, if the Tremec rep had a hellcat (or any high HP car like a ZL1, vette, viper, gt500, etc) with a tr-6060 he wouldn't be drag racing it at all unless he upgraded the bell housing to a blow-proof SFI-approved bell housing.

I'm sure that's just his response for liability purposes, but it does point to the fact that we should all be careful and aware that should the clutch go out (which is more likely in a drag racing scenario), the cast aluminum stock bell housing will not keep the exploding shrapnel from slicing in every direction.

With that said, I can find no references of the TR-6060 exploding in all of the cars it's in. I'm sure it's happened, but it must be rare. I doubt Dodge would release a dangerous car but we should all be aware of the risks that are inherent with racing these TR-6060 trannys. There are aftermarket steel bell housings that can contain an explosion and available for about $800... I will just have to keep that in the back of my mind should I get the urge to race mine. But I'm not really buying the manual to be a drag racer... It's just a fun toy that may see an occasional drag night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dak59RT

Dak59RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like you know a little about this. So in your opinion when would you be adding a blow-proof bell housing or scatter shield? The tremec rep says its a good idea if we mod it or race it... Uhhh... Isn't this car modded quite a bit already and it's sort of marketed as a drag racing car? lol

6. ChallengerDad

ChallengerDad SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Tremec TR-6060 is in the Shelby Mustang, Challenger, Viper, Camaro, and CTS-V. These are all high-HP cars built from 2007 - present. I haven't heard of any failures or recalls, or any recurring problems on this transmission for any of these vehicles (and I know a LOT of them have been heavily modified for competition).
    I think you have a better chance of having a rear shaft snapping long before the gear-box has any problems.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BossHawg

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If You're going to run in certain classes and et's you have to have an sfi bell housing/scatter shield or sfi blanket...in addition to sfi flywheel and etc. If you're just running stock I wouldn't change a thing, just make sure you don't over rev. I don't know what the rev limiter is on the hellcat is but stock you should be fine. Also NHRA has made concessions for these newer faster factory muscle cars. If you're going to mod heavily I would go in and start beefing up the whole tranny and including the bellhousing/scattershield.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BossHawg

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lastly if you upgrade the internals there's a less likely a chance of it exploding.
    If you're running stock you're fine.
    If you start making more power, I would upgrade the internals to maybe stage VI
    Going all out racing rebuild and upgrade the whole thing.

Check out RPM Transmissions, they do all of my work for years.

9. Dak59RT

Dak59RT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So you're saying "hellcat stock" is still a low enough amount of power to be fine with the transmission that comes with it. That's kind of the conclusion I'm coming to as well... But it's just difficult to look at the hellcat as "stock" even though it is!

10. BossHawg

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes that's what I'm saying. :)

11. Bjax

Bjax Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just don't drop the clutch above 5,000 rpm. Should be fine.

Anyone know what material the flywheel is made from????
    Cast?
    Steel?
    Aluminum?