Hellcat Tune From Dodge/Chrysler

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by BKuz, Nov 3, 2015.

1. BKuz

BKuz Retired American Fighting Man

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There was a rumor kicking around that Dodge/Chrysler was going to come out with a tune that would boost horsepower up over 750 hp. Also, there was going to be a separate key, say a white key to get you there.

Well I contacted Tim Kuniskis and Ralph Gilles and they said the rumor was false. The Hellcat motor will be kept OEM and no tune or key will be made available.

That is sad, because I know there are 825 ponies hiding under my hood wanting to be let loose!

BKuz

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. im3cpo

im3cpo Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, that news does suck. In a way, I understand they are worried about warranty issues and whatnot, but I think they are missing the point in that there is additional money to be made by supporting mods. Heck, look at the Mustang community! Tons of Ford Racing stuff available and a lot of it is being installed at dealerships. Dodge's stance seems a bit short sighted if you ask me... Having said this, I am glad they made something like the Hellcat a reality!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's Impressive if you know Ralph & Tim... But I'll guarantee you if they do have something up their sleeve they won't say. Reliable rumors would only hurt current sales and there policy is they won't talk about future product. My bet... I would be highly surprised if they don't boost the numbers for the final run in 2017 & 18 (Considering the end of the G3 Hemi in 2019). I would guess... they may offer a new PCM and what ever else is needed (Pulley) to existing HC owners to boost the numbers... but I'll bet it won't be a cheap upgrade... that is my guess.;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. ManicMechanicMD

ManicMechanicMD Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    This is just my opinion, but I wonder how much of this is the fact that this is a brand new engine. What's in other cars, Mustangs in particular, are tried and tested power plants. Don't know if they will do anything in the future, but I have read they made over 800HP out of the box...but couldn't hit emissions with that much power. I'm all for more juice though. I also like having a warranty. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. carcrazyguy

carcrazyguy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You win! Post of the day, right there!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't see how the current ones are getting the RWHP numbers they do when dyno tested unless the crank HP is greater than stated already.
    But I'm no expert in that field.

7. carcrazyguy

carcrazyguy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Make sure to ask Ralph about pinning the crank for us the next time you give him a jingle.

• Like Like x 1
  8. im3cpo

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    [QUOTE=" they made over 800HP out of the box...but couldn't hit emissions with that much power. . :)[/QUOTE]

What you said right here is the key I think! Emissions is whats going to ultimately eliminate this kind of car. I vote for hydrogen to take over as it still sounds like a gasoline engine!! Electric cars just don't do it for me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ManicMechanicMD

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hydrogen is still mostly from hydrocarbons, but I like the tech.

10. im3cpo

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very true, but we *could* use solar power to do electrolysis on water if need be. I will do anything to keep an internal combustion engine! ;)

11. ManicMechanicMD

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Solar, wind or even nuclear power would do it without any carbon shift. We've had fuel cell tech since before the Apollo space program. It's not been pushed because gasoline/diesel is cheaper/easier. Lot of money in petroleum.

12. nocarbutmopar

nocarbutmopar Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    infrastructure, it's already there for oil, it could cost $20,000,000.00 to build each electrolysis based hydrogen refueling station at first but that cost would drop to around $10,000.00 after a few years at which point you could put one in your garage then what happens to all those petroleum jobs and gas taxes?

13. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cars SAE rating keeps with the HEMI tradition of being slightly underrated at 707hp.

When dealer techs went to school and the HC SC HEMI was shown the instructors told them it made just over 840hp (at the crank ). But in the interest of warranty and reliability it was detuned a bit to what we have now.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Emissions & CAFE... the death of the HEMI and a lot of the high end internal combustion engines. Ride the wave guys... while it lasts! I don't expect we'll see these days again regardless of the brand. Of course they said this back in 71 too... but not this time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. im3cpo

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The tax revenue will switch over to mileage based rather than fuel consumption. This will be considered the way to get everyone "equally". As for the workers, they should get into the tech industry (including automotive industry). There are some rather large labor shortages in the tech industry. Companies like Google, Microsoft, etc., have to import workers from all over the world to get qualified candidates that actually help them compete (globally).