Hellcat VONs, VINs & Delivery Dates | Statistical Breakdown

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by BostonSublime, Mar 8, 2015.

1. BostonSublime

BostonSublime Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey everyone -

Finally picked up a VIN after 177 days sitting in VON purgatory. That led me to look into how long it was going to take delivery, how much longer had I waited compared to others and a bunch of other stat-nerd things. I used the information compiled by user rayzazoo in the Hellcat VONs - Customer Sold Order List thread and did a quick breakdown of the raw data. Thanks rayzazoo!

First, I looked at the average period of time between the three major milestones - VON, VIN and Projected Delivery.

[​IMG]

Having been a 9/9/14 order, I found it to be a little weird that my experience going from VON to VIN was more than 100% worse than the median value for that timespan (although I did place my order at a small dealer in Massachusetts). The difference between the minimum and maximum times to get a VIN were also pretty surprising. One person waited over seven months for a VIN, while another received it on the very same day that their VON went through.

This led me to try and find some sort of trend that could account for varied results (knowing that the FCA Allotment process is a serious wildcard in the data). I found a natural break in the data when you compare the groups of people who received their VONs before and after 11/1/14.

This break was also favorable because it was close to an even split in data points - 33 VONs received before 11/1 and 36 VONs received after 11/1.

The below tables compare the time between milestones for those who received their VON between 7/23 and 10/31 with those who received their VON between 11/1 and 1/26:

[​IMG]

Category Definition:
    Range - The difference in time between the person who waited the least and the person who waited the longest.

From the data it is interesting to see how much faster VONs created after 11/1 are moving through the process:
    • The average person who received a VON after 11/1 has been assigned a VIN almost 70% faster than those who received a VON prior to 11/1
    • The average person who received a VON after 11/1 moved from VIN to Projected Delivery just over 11% faster than those who received a VON before 11/1 - this is a bit fuzzy, however, since it is only a projected date
    • Overall, those who received a VON after 11/1 have gone from VON all the way to Projected Delivery in less than half the time than those who received a VON prior to 11/1
    There is also another interesting month to month trend even within the November - January period (graphically represented below over the full data set) in the time it takes to go from VON to VIN:

[​IMG]
    The median time for a July VON to move to VIN was 186 days, while it is only 14 days for those with January VONs.

TL:DR - Those who received VONs after 11/1 are moving through the process of at ludicrous speed compared to those who received their VONs before 11/1.

Oh, what an interesting process we have all become a part of.

- BostonSublime

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 6
  2. Hell Catmandu

Hell Catmandu Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was #1 at my Dodge dealership for the Hellcat. Since then I have been passed over not once but twice! I just got off the phone with my sales rep at my Dodge dealership and I asked him for an update. He said that they got an allocation last month but it went to the guy behind me. What??? I have now been passed over not once, not twice but THREE TIMES! My rep said he asked his Dodge rep and said that no one knows how Dodge determines what Hellcat is next in line to build at each dealership. Something is not right. I have a feeling that the build orders in front of me paid over MSRP. Please, someone shed some light on this subject. Three friggin times I have been passed over for no reason at all. At first I was excited knowing I was number one in line and thought I would be the lucky guy to own the first hellcat in my area. Now, I may be #4 or #5 or maybe even #6. The entire process doesn't make sense! PS. I ordered Phantom Black with auto! Maybe Dodge couldn't find any paint? Someone from dodge needs to reach out to me or my dealership and explain how this could happen. Thanks for listening everyone!

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They're blowing smoke up your __
    Even if FCA picks the wrong one, the dealer can call and have it changed. Sounds like they are possibly selling cars at markup and screwing you over.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. shaystoy

shaystoy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Is this for all Hellcats? Or just challengers?

5. Macavity

Macavity Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    orders at my dealer are going out in order taken, all sold at MSRP

6. Hell Catmandu

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, That's what I think they are doing too. I called them on the BS one day and the sales manger got pissed off at me and said that they have no control over what order is picked up in the system. He was adamant and insulted to say the least. I didn't believe him then and I don't believe him now. I wish there was something that I could do about it but Dodge doesn't seem to care either. The entire ordering process that been crappy at best. Older orders are not getting built while new orders mysteriously get pushed to the front of the line. This only happens when there are greedy dealers who don't care about the customer only their $$$.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. tsc

tsc SRT Hellcat Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Call it coincidence if you want, but I'm positive it isn't.. for our Challenger and Charger we had the luck to have #1 spot for each at two different dealers. For both, ours were put into the system before any other orders. For the Challenger, they only had 1 initial allocation (this was in September) and mine (out of 4-5 initially entered) was the only one to get a VIN / D status, as it should be. For the Charger they had 2 initial allocations (January) and our order was put in first. Ours got a VIN and D status first (second in line got their VIN after us and their VIN was sequentially higher).

Your dealer is blowing smoke up your ass. :( I'd normally say find a different dealer but this isn't really an option, obviously. Ask to speak to the GM and demand to know what is going on and why they are assigning allocations to other cars.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  8. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No mystery. You called him out and he got pissed. Guilty.

Tell him to order your car and stop screwing you around. That you will be writing a letter to FCA documenting their behavior and it will be a report from an unsatisfied customer and it will be noted it was on a allocated car that you put a deposit on ( showing proof of date ) and you'll request FCA ask for proof of the other deposits to see who was actually "in line" first.

Dodge can't tell them how much to sell for, but they'll be interested in hearing feedback from a potential customer and their experience with the dealer. I'd send that one to Tim K.

9. Hell Catmandu

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you. I just sent an email to the SRT team and others. Once I get a reply I will post here.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tannehill

Tannehill Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    When the dealer has a bunch of the same models order, and they are the same status (in this case sold orders), they then set the priority number (it's on your POC). Like said, most are keeping priority in the sequence the order came in. Yours didn't. The only way you would get passed over is if you had an option that was restricted.

11. Hell Catmandu

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have been at my Dodge dealer and have seen the screen shot that said I am #1 and #1 is on my paperwork too. That is why I am pissed off. No one at my dodge dealer is listening to me. I can only vent here and hope someone from SRT listens and takes care of the problem.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Tannehill

Tannehill Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    SRT cannot do anything, dealerships are privately owned.

13. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So you are saying mine is 4th in line? Or is it the 99 which is impossible? If so does that mean of Chargers(ordered)?

Order.PNG

14. Tannehill

Tannehill Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    yours is not in the system as a Sold Order. It is in as dealer stock, if that's current, that's not good!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Nah I got that immediately after the order. What do I need that sheet now?