Hellcat Vs. 392 Initial Thoughts

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by mixiao, Nov 25, 2015.

1. mixiao

mixiao Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So I just traded my 2015 Sublime 392 five days ago for a PCP Hellcat. I had the 392 for exactly a year. Really loved the car and specially the color but I really wanted a Hellcat to begin with. I just refused to pay over sticker on the car. So I waited a year and found a dealer to finally sell it at MSRP. So now I have a Hellcat.

For the first 500 Miles while the car was locked, other than the much louder exhaust note on the Hellcat. The two cars were about the same. Even thought it's just a 15HP difference running the hellcat on the black key. I felt considerable more power than the specs would suggest. I also found myself pushing the speed limits much more.

As far as how they feel to drive. The hellcat Hydraulic steering takes much more of an effort to
    maneuver than the 392 but it does give you a better read of the road. It was much easier to turn with the 392. The suspension are supposed to be the same but the Hellcat fells much better.

Surprisingly the Hellcat on a long trip is giving me impressive gas mileage. For such a monster engine and me pushing the limits once in a while. It's registering 19 MPG. (Highway trip)

Here is what I miss from the 392. Adaptive Cruise Control. Long trips with ACC were great. Not so much with the Hellcat. Yes one wants to feel the accelerator on the Hellcat but for 4 hour trips, comfort is what you are looking for. I wish there was a way to add this to the hellcat. I do like the PCP color but I loved the darn Sublime. There is just something about that color that makes you smile. Wherever I parked it, I always had to look back and say "that's a bad ass car." Not that the PCP isn't but Sublime is just one of a kind.

Once I passed the 500 miles and I used that red key. The nostalgia was gone. OMG, OMG was the only thing I said for an hour. It's like having your own rollercoaster at your disposal. That reminds me I have to buy a radar detector quick. : ) This thing has acceleration for days. I was going quite fast and there was much more pedal to go, much more. It feels like having a Semi engine on a car. It never lacks power. I was driving Arizona to Vegas which has lots of curves and mountains and the hellcat would just eat the mountains up. This car is simply amazing. It's insane.

IMG_4199.jpg

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats on the new hellcat, your words tell me that your more then happy with your upgrade..I really enjoy reading people's first impressions of the hellcat

• Like Like x 1
  3. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    had a 2011 392 a5.....no comparison at all........im sure the A8 392 helps some

why did you use the black key for 500 miles?

i didnt go nuts or 500 miles, but i never used the black key.......the manual says some spirited driving is ok under 500 miles....just no all out 0-100's......i played a bit w/ the power from 350 miles on..

i dont quite understand why your spending $52k for a 392....and for $10k more you get a HC....if you have $52k dont you have $62k?

i get the 392 RT......i think its an awesome deal for $40k.....a friend got a shaker and i think it was $45k or maybe even $50......i remember asking him why not go for the HC.....then i saw the RT's have 245's on the back and felt sorry for him..shaker is a cool car but dodge just screws you on the wheels/tires..intentionally making it a slower car to save $40 in rubber

4. mixiao

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They wanted 10 to 20K more initially out here in AZ. Then they settled to 5K but I didn't want to pay over sticker. Seems like 2016 models are not finding homes quite as fast so I was able to buy it at MSRP. It's not the money, its the principle of just giving my money away, just because they ask for it. : )

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Only bad part is they raised the msrp, and lowered the warranty..

6. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i agree w/ you on the principle of it.....ive never paid anywhere near MSRP before.....i dont think ive ever paid within $3k of it.....and to see them wanting $5-20k ADM just seemed insane.......if i was late to the game and had to have a Sublime A8 i would have paid $1-2k adm to get it in mid summer......glad i bought before the rush in the middle of winter when MSRP wasnt hard to find and A8's were plentiful

congrats on your purchase.....PCP is my 2nd favorite color...if i were to get a 2016 it would be PCP

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Glad you are enjoying the car but just wanted to clear this up in case someone reads it in the future... The car isn't locked before 500 miles in anything other than launch control. Your 707 hp is available on day 1

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mixiao

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You are right... I should had said "locked"... "optional break-in period" which I chose to follow.. : )

• Like Like x 2
  9. currybob

currybob Bob

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good review and agree completely!!

I also had a 15 SRT and really was very pleased with the car. I did get tired of people constantly asking if it was a Hellcat. Everyone knows what a Hellcat is but most did not know about the SRT.

I got the Hellcat bite at the track experience when I drove one. Later my buddy received his M6 Hellcat. I couldn't take it no more and decided to take the plunge, no regrets either!!

I do like you, miss that adaptive cruse control! It worked very well. Weird how some options really stick with you, I have it in my truck and have to remember in the car now that it is not there and try not to run up some buddy's rear!! LOL

This picture does a good job in the engine reviews.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!!!!

body.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've never had acc, but one thing I do wish it had was automatic windows that go all the way up with one press.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Immo

Immo Moparpalooza

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Break in period.

12. hemiguy

hemiguy Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Love the comparison

13. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What is this "locked" thing people refer to? Mine is total beast from day 1. Yes I have been a little easy on it but regardless there is no comparison to the 6.1s I own or the 392s I have driven.

14. ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Good personal article mixiao,

I can relate with your personal story and u pretty much summed it up for all on the forum should they have a SRT15. And have made the decision to add or replace their SRT for a HC. I agree with the the wish for ACC which you just have to wonder why they opted not to do it. And they certainly have the technology but guess the higher up felt would not be the deal breaker on the HELLCAT.
    I have a 15 Charger SRT and will just keep it and not jump to the HELLCAT. I feel in the 0-60 driving it's just as fun as my HC and don't want to give up the MPG and ACC. Plus it just will make me SMILE:) that much more when I drive my HC after driving the SRT for awhile. HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL THE HELLCAT FAMILY:D
    image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    traded my 12 392 in on a 15 hellcat, there is NO comparison.

Pretty much every thing is so much better on the Hellcat. except the seats and finish on the wheels.