Hellcat, WAX / Polish, CQuartz or old School Liquid Glass?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by soundman5000, Jul 13, 2015.

1. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Okay, Time to put some paint protection my new baby. After years of being the guy who always has the cleanest car I kinda know what works and does not work. I do understand times change and this old dog can (sometimes) learn new tricks so I need some opinions before I polish my ride with my old school tried and true products based around Liquid glass brand of polish.

I see lots of folks talking the new CQuartz and other products that has me wondering if those products are truly any better than how I always do it.
    My normal process is wash the 1st time with Dawn ( dawn the 1st time to remove wax but never used again)
    Then Isopropyl alcohol then clay bar the car. I then use Liquid Glass Pre-Cleaner, then as many layers of Liquid glass I can do. Last car I had 10 layers on the car. People say the liquid glass can offer protection from rock chips but I don't think so.

Im sold on the liquid glass product as IMO it just could not look any better and has that slick feeling; but wondering about protection. Specifically rocks, sand etc. Does anyone have experience with these new products such as CQuartz? I hope to clear bra my car but the $$ is a bit expensive and I have no dealers in my area I have a good feeling about after talking with them as I can tell the shops do tint and seldom if never do bra work. So I may install one myself. I did Xpel headlights on a WRX with great results so I may be able to do a bra?

just wondering if anything would be better or offer better protection than my liquid glass process.
    Is CQuartz actually any thicker than say 10 layers of my liquid glass? Does it have that slick feeling and if so for how long?
    Also I wonder If any issue if I wax via Liquid glass or CQuartz and then have the clear bra installed? My local guy who quoted the bra could not answer that question.
    Any thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  2. jaylopez

jaylopez Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    My black 392 Charger is getting paint correction and CQuartz this week. Will be with the detailer 3 days. He will also be using one of the CQuartz products on the wheels to help with brake dust. I will try to post some pics after he is done and give impressions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    CQ is a coating and adds thickness but not for stone chips. Water sheathes off this product

4. magnummrk

magnummrk SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had CQuartz finest done on my car in the spring. I have not been caught in any kind of rain with it so I have not needed to actually wash the car since late May. I drive it, dust it off and then spray detail it. I am pretty happy with the product and the paint correction that was done before the CQuart finest. There was over spray on the car that was not noticeable until the detailer started working on the paint.

Image3dsc.jpg

5. budkole

budkole Best Color and fastest is undoubtedly WHITE

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Old fashioned here. Wash, wax, polish, cigar, coffee and music.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. WNY Cat

WNY Cat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My CQuartz installer applied the CQuartz Finest OVER the Suntek protective film. He said that if you do the CQuartz first, the protective film won't stick.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. ManicMechanicMD

ManicMechanicMD Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Any word on how long you have to wait to wax a new car? I've heard various things about having to wait to wax new paint.

8. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wondered the same thing as my car is still not 30 days old from build date. I remember years ago body shops would tell you to hold off on wax but Im thinking my recent fender benders appeared to have wax on them right after paint. Someone with body shop knowledge let us know the deal please with todays factory paint.

9. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Got a buddy at work that has used liquid glass for last 20 plus years and swears by it. I believe it's the way I'm going.
    Like the look, love the ease and cost.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Akula

Akula VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was intrigued by the results a lot of guys got from CQuartz however I wanted to maintain the car myself and enjoy the zen feeling of one with the car so I ordered the ultimate Zaino package and detailed the car exactly according to their instructions...

It took more than eight hours with a few breaks to detail the car in 90 plus degrees and 100% humidity in Florida. Washed the car three times, clay bared the car, applied polish no. 1 and hand buffed it off three times, applied polish no. 2 and hand buffed it off three times, applied a final polish and buffed it off one time. I was bloody exhausted and just about crippled!

CQuartz...sign me the fk up!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. MoparRules

MoparRules Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So Akula, although the Zaino effort was a lot, did you like the outcome and look of the car with Zaino?

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Akula

Akula VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The car looked awesome but in the back of my mind I was thinking, "Damn, for this much work I could have buffed a dog turd into a diamond".

Going forward it would not be as much work i.e. don't need to wash with Dawn, no clay bar (clay bar was a btch!) and don't need to apply as many coats of polish. Zaino has good stuff.

PS the Zaino cotton towels are unbelievable. Highly recommend. Normal microfiber towels are like sandpaper in comparison.

• Like Like x 2
  13. MoparRules

MoparRules Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've also used Zaino products for some time and was wondering. I think they are very good also. I thought clay bar first made the final product look better but to each their own. I did think you had too many coats. I do 2, maybe 3 with the ZFX and apply with a Porter Cable orbital waxer. But other products listed by others seem to be just as good i.e. Maguires, Pinnacle etc.

I'm hugely interested in this Cquartz now and am definitely considering it this time. The work with all that waxing and clay baring as much as I kind of enjoy it is time consuming and with a Pitch Black HC coming in CA with all the dust I just feel I might do the Cquartz to make it a little easier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Akula

Akula VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I enjoy the washing and waxing also but this was a bit more involved than usual and polishing and buffing by hand in the FL heat and humidity was a killer.

The clay bar helped. I first washed the wheels and then the car with Dawn (two separate washings) and then applied the clay bar. I then washed the car with the Zaino soap after the clay bar. The clay bar did pick up some stuff however I don't think it's something that has to be done every time the car is washed so there will be a time and effort savings going forward.

It is time consuming and my understanding of the CQuartz is that it eliminates the need to polish and wax for up to two years. So just need to wash for the most part.

I'm very satisfied with the results from Zaino so in my mind it's a simple substitution of money/technology for time/effort taking into account the results are the same. That calculation will be different for different people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MoparRules

MoparRules Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes,not having to polish for the first 2 years and only a quick wash with the same waxed polished look seems awesome.