SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Hellcat Wins 6 Out Of 6 Against Tesla S P85D In Las Vegas

6K views 32 replies 26 participants last post by  jayp 
#1 ·
Our Mopar club in Utah makes Mopars At The Strip an annual "do-not-miss" event. The organizers found out that my good buddy and partner, Dave, has both a Hellcat and a Tesla S P85D. Because of the viral video showing a Hellcat going up in smoke against a Tesla, they asked him to bring both cars to the event and stage a rematch. Dave loves both cars and I must say that the Tesla is pretty impressive! I have driven it and it is a surreal experience to have so much torque and acceleration with no noise. It's truly amazing! I am seriously considering the SUV when it comes out. Of course Dave agreed to bring both cars. He and his son drove them down to Las Vegas from Lindon, Utah. By the way, according to his EVIC, which we haven't verified for accuracy yet, the Hellcat got over 25 mpg in Eco mode.

When Dodge found out what the organizers had in mind they sent a team out to shoot the "grudge match" and interview Dave. Both Dave and his son are good drivers and cut consistently good lights. They made 6 passes over the course of two days. There was absolutely no sandbagging. Both cars were run as hard and fast as they could go. At 2,200 ft above sea level in 90 plus temps the Hellcat ranged from a 11.40 something on through to a best 10.95 at 125 mph on drag radials with 91 octane pump gas. The Tesla was extremely consistent and ran in 11.9s every time. They were often neck and neck to half track and then the Hellcat would walk away. The Tesla is fast and deadly in an 1/8th mile. However, the Hellcat dominated every pass in the 1/4 mile. Dodge got great footage and will be posting it on You Tube soon. They showed us a rough cut and it's pretty cool. The upcoming footage will definitely be a more accurate portrayal of reality than the old viral clip. Here are some photos I have of an 11.32 run.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Drag racing Race track
Race track Vehicle Sport venue Car Crowd
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Race track Performance car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Race track Performance car
Race track Transport Road Vehicle Thoroughfare

Props to both Dodge and Tesla for building some amazing vehicles. Tesla has built a game changer that will alter history. They have put in the infrastructure to make this car practical and last a long time. It's solid, luxurious, and cutting edge. Also, the Tesla is unaffected by altitude and heat like an internal combustion car is and ran the same fast number everytime. It runs in the 11s! That's a fast street car! And, the Hellcat is a car that you can comfortably drive 350 miles across country, swap out tires, go run in the 10s, swap back the tires and drive it home getting over 25 mpg. One friend who went with us is one of the top professional high performance engine builders in the state and has built mostly Fords and Chevys in the past. He looked at that 10.95 time slip, shook his head and said, "It's a great time to be a Mopar fan! Most people don't know how hard it is to get a car into the 10s and, once you do, they are finicky and hard to cool. They are barely street drivable if at all. The Hellcat changes everything."

It was a really fun weekend!

See less See more
#5 ·
Awesome! Shut those electrode lovers up!

Reactions: Deputydog
#11 ·
I am so HAPPY to be able to get a Hellcat. We do not realize what kind of car we are getting until you can hear all the comments from non Dodge drivers/owners/fans. Many of the forum members are car experts, engineers and mechanics with MUCH more knowledge than myself, and they know what they are getting, but in my case, I feel like I'm in a dream. Great story MoparPhil !!! Thank you for sharing !!!

#12 ·
Our Mopar club in Utah makes Mopars At The Strip an annual "do-not-miss" event. The organizers found out that my good buddy and partner, Dave, has both a Hellcat and a Tesla S P85D. Because of the viral video showing a Hellcat going up in smoke against a Tesla, they asked him to bring both cars to the event and stage a rematch. Dave loves both cars and I must say that the Tesla is pretty impressive! I have driven it and it is a surreal experience to have so much torque and acceleration with no noise. It's truly amazing! I am seriously considering the SUV when it comes out. Of course Dave agreed to bring both cars. He and his son drove them down to Las Vegas from Lindon, Utah. By the way, according to his EVIC, which we haven't verified for accuracy yet, the Hellcat got over 25 mpg in Eco mode.

When Dodge found out what the organizers had in mind they sent a team out to shoot the "grudge match" and interview Dave. Both Dave and his son are good drivers and cut consistently good lights. They made 6 passes over the course of two days. There was absolutely no sandbagging. Both cars were run as hard and fast as they could go. At 2,200 ft above sea level in 90 plus temps the Hellcat ranged from a 11.40 something on through to a best 10.95 at 125 mph on drag radials with 91 octane pump gas. The Tesla was extremely consistent and ran in 11.9s every time. They were often neck and neck to half track and then the Hellcat would walk away. The Tesla is fast and deadly in an 1/8th mile. However, the Hellcat dominated every pass in the 1/4 mile. Dodge got great footage and will be posting it on You Tube soon. They showed us a rough cut and it's pretty cool. The upcoming footage will definitely be a more accurate portrayal of reality than the old viral clip. Here are some photos I have of an 11.32 run. View attachment 8379 View attachment 8380 View attachment 8381 View attachment 8390 View attachment 8391

Props to both Dodge and Tesla for building some amazing vehicles. Tesla has built a game changer that will alter history. They have put in the infrastructure to make this car practical and last a long time. It's solid, luxurious, and cutting edge. Also, the Tesla is unaffected by altitude and heat like an internal combustion car is and ran the same fast number everytime. It runs in the 11s! That's a fast street car! And, the Hellcat is a car that you can comfortably drive 350 miles across country, swap out tires, go run in the 10s, swap back the tires and drive it home getting over 25 mpg. One friend who went with us is one of the top professional high performance engine builders in the state and has built mostly Fords and Chevys in the past. He looked at that 10.95 time slip, shook his head and said, "It's a great time to be a Mopar fan! Most people don't know how hard it is to get a car into the 10s and, once you do, they are finicky and hard to cool. They are barely street drivable if at all. The Hellcat changes everything."

Awesome job guys ! Can't wait to see the article and video ! Nice job summarizing the story !

#17 ·
Current score..Tesla 1..HC1 (6). So we need ONE more competition. HC vs. Tesla III..ONCE and for ALL!! I really like both cars.

#28 ·
Thanks for sharing! The tesla "bubble" had to burst sooner or later:D

#29 ·

When Dodge found out what the organizers had in mind they sent a team out to shoot the "grudge match" and interview Dave. Both Dave and his son are good drivers and cut consistently good lights. They made 6 passes over the course of two days. There was absolutely no sandbagging. Both cars were run as hard and fast as they could go. At 2,200 ft above sea level in 90 plus temps the Hellcat ranged from a 11.40 something on through to a best 10.95 at 125 mph on drag radials with 91 octane pump gas. The Tesla was extremely consistent and ran in 11.9s every time. They were often neck and neck to half track and then the Hellcat would walk away. The Tesla is fast and deadly in an 1/8th mile. However, the Hellcat dominated every pass in the 1/4 mile. Dodge got great footage and will be posting it on You Tube soon. They showed us a rough cut and it's pretty cool. The upcoming footage will definitely be a more accurate portrayal of reality than the old viral clip. Here are some photos I have of an 11.32 run. View attachment 8379 View attachment 8380 View attachment 8381 View attachment 8390 View attachment 8391

Thanks for posting this up Phil. It was a fun weekend and the car ran AMAZING !! BTW: I'm Dave the owner of the car.

Reactions: fnkychkn
#30 ·
Dave, thanks for kicking butt for us HC parents. You did us proud!!

#31 ·
You're welcome, Dave. Watch Dave's video at this link: Video Hellcat Beats Tesla P85D SRT Hellcat Forum

I should add that Dodge contacted Dave today and instead of posting a video that they produced, they have posted a link to this video on their social pages. That way no one can accuse them of staging this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.