Hellcat won't let me rev her up and let her scream...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Shroyer, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Shroyer

Shroyer Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey all.
    So this has happened a couple of times, and it's really... REALLY frustrating.
    I do a lot of car shows where we are asked to rev our cars up during an all fire. So, start it, neutral, e-brake, let her sing. Well, after a minute or two, the car will decide that it won't let me do that anymore, and makes it so that I can't rev it up over 3000 R's, looses a lot of power over 2000, and it takes a long time to let those ~3000 R's drop. It has also done this while I was in a parade and had some air moving into the intake.
    After this happens, it won't stop until I turn the car off and turn it back on. Then, she's fine. Acts like nothing happened.

This is kinda embarrassing because everyone wants me to rev the car up because, well, Hellcat. Annnnnnnd... My cat says no.

Is there anyway to fix this? I have a REALLY big show this weekend with a parade exit where revving the car is encouraged. I really don't want to have to make it look like I stalled the car out in front of 600+ people lining the street.

Thanks, guys!

Rachel Shroyer
    Pitch Black Hellcat Challenger 6 Speed 2528

• Like Like x 1
  2. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Furball? :cool:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't know if this is true or not but its my understanding it's not good to spin the superchargers without a load on them. I heard this a long time ago and don't know anything for sure. But it might cut out to prevent damage????

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I have heard the same thing a few times ... I am interested to read if anyone knows of truth behind this or not.

April

5. Shroyer

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Interesting. I won't lie, I'm young, so I haven't had enough experience around these cars to have heard those things.

6. HOONAGN

HOONAGN FLOOR IT!

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hmm.. that sounds weird, but then again, I don't rev my cat that long. Maybe a few blips here and there. I'm guessing the computer is thinking there's something wrong - maybe with the tranny/clutch or whatever; Thus limits the professional race car drivers out there from blowing something up. Car thinks, "Hey, RPM's don't match engine speed and load so there must be a bad clutch, tranny, diff... etc." Remember -many moons ago- my truck's air shut off towing a heavy load in 100+ weather and my friend was making fun of me. It dawned on me that the computer was smart enough to cut the air out to not overheat and keep us from getting stranded. Sure enough, once everything was ok, the air turned back on.

Maybe one of the techs can chime in...

7. Shroyer

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree that it is most definitely not mechanical failure of some sort as my friend with an A8 cat has the same issue. My personal thought was that the car thinks that there is an air obstruction and isn't pulling enough air, so it kills the power. Not moving fast enough + high revs = paranoid fun-sucker car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have an M6 and have not had this problem. How high are you revving it and for how long?

9. Shroyer

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'll usually push it up to around 3500 or 4000 for a second - an up and down, really, and then continue on with my business letting it idle. I think I did that maybe 3 times in a 10 minute period and it did not want any of it.

10. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm sure I have done the same with no issue. Sure your not taking it above 5.5 k?

11. buddyg

buddyg Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Is it normal when the car is in park that it won't rev very high? I have tried to let people hear it roar and it limits the revs when in park?

12. Shroyer

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Maybe once, but I make it a point to not red line it.

13. Shroyer

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have you tried putting it in neutral and setting the brake? Not sure about what the autos do but I wouldn't be surprised, considering it's a computer on wheels.

14. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's what I don't get... I see a ton of youtube videos where guys are revving way up high and mine won't pass 4000rpm for anything. Mine is an A8.

I was used to that rev-limiter on my older SRT8s with the 6.1, but wasn't expecting it on this motor after seeing all those vids of stock cars revving up high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Fionn MacCumhaill

Fionn MacCumhaill Irish A'Hole - Wanna Fight About It!? Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Never had this happen to me before and I rev the engine at shows on occasion when asked. Sounds like your 'Cat has performance anxiety, they say it happens to everyone, I wouldn't know, but maybe you can ask fastguy I hear he has dealt with these kind of problems before. :D

• Funny Funny x 5