Hellcat's production numbers doubling for 2016...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Driver72, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Gotta say, not too thrilled with this.
    Just watered down the amounts you'll see on the road and lowered resale values of this beast.

I guess they can counter this and I'd be ok with it, if the 2016 model has an MSRP that's oh say $5k more. :)

Otherwise, I get a feeling their will be some sitting on the lots, which of course means, for anybody wanting to sell theirs in a future years, vastly lower resale values.

2. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If they are doubling production, then why cancel 900 orders which would be like 10% or 1/5th of the first allocation?

3. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They aren't fully cancelling those 900 orders, they are giving those 900 people the opportunity to get a 2016 at the 2015 price. They just don't have the ability to finish making the 900 Hellcat's those people ordered.

But the question would be, are those 900 people going to get the first 900 2016 model year cars? Answer: 95% chance, no way. So they have to wait even longer. The 900th person may have to wait 2-3 months into the 2016 production to get their cars, meanwhile some dealer will get the first 2016.

Either way, I just don't like that they are making so many of them for 2016.
    Specialty cars like these should be in limited numbers, so they keep their mystique, keep their value up and drive interest in the next specialty model. I really hope (sorry for those of you ordering or planning on getting 2016's) they increase the price by at least $5k. IIRC, Nissan raised the price of the GT-R by like $6-8k the second model year and several thousands each year on average since then.
    Hope the Hellcat production ends with 2016 model year, then they take a year off to concentrate on the next Challenger/Charger for 2018.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's obvious there's people who bought HC as an investment. So cool for you and best of luck. From where I'm sitting the odds don't favor you on the short....it's a car and they usually depreciate 20 percent year one. Second it's a mass produced domestic car. It's not an offshore exotic that you paid 150k plus. It's a working man's coupe with the first factory installed supercharger...and yup they were gonna build 5k of them but decided to up it to 8k year one. Year 2 going to be 14 to 15k built. Probably most of those will get retailed without ADM because there's so many on lots available. Unless you have a sublime auto with a sunroof - there's more rare species of frogs than your car.

As for mine, I bought it to drive then will to my kids when I'm gone. I enjoy the retro look it's got and the tech it's got all in one package. Good luck to you and enjoy your investment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. terryturner

terryturner Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That sucks. Not that I'm buying mine specifically for resale value but it'd be nice if it was limited and worth more just in case. I feel like most ppl that wanted them ordered a 15. Others like me spent the last year getting financially ready for 16. I feel like 8k units would be plenty. I bet there's a lot sitting on lots after the first allocation. Almost makes me want to wait for 17 but my luck they'll produce 0 that year and I really can't wait to get behind the wheel

6. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    NB, I didn't buy as an investment...I have stock, bonds, mutual funds and savings accounts for that, but I like a bit of exclusivity in my ride, and holding resale value a bit more than average is a plus.

As for "odds don't favor you on the short", fact is, currently still, even used ones are selling for over MSRP or close to it.
    But clearly once 2016's start sitting on lots, since they are going to make so many, that will change quickly, and to me, there is no reason for it. Supply what is in demand at most, or maybe even a bit less, makes better economic sense. If Chrysler is smart and follows laws of supply and demand, they will stick a multi thousand dollar price increase on the 2016's, that will help offset some of the depreciation if I decide to sell my car in the next year or two (which is probable since I usually keep cars 1-3 years).

7. FINALLYSATISFIED

FINALLYSATISFIED Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why worry? They may be doubling but location and amount previously sold plays a factor. I haven't seen any other Hellcats since I've been driving mine. I know they are around but far and few between. I didn't buy the car because I didn't see any on the road.

8. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    its just the salesman ( PR department) saying this

they got a black eye on the MY15 ( long waits, poor allocation system, cancelled 900 orders........) What makes you think anymore will roll out???
    SSDY ( new acronym for same $h*t different year)

9. DShatzer

DShatzer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    WRT new Challenger in 2018, I recommend going to allpar.com and seeing where FCA is delaying the new Challenger into 2019-2020. Other reliable posts (RS) have mentioned the Hellcat Challenger is being planned into 2018 at this time....... It's a great car to get in and just drive. Some will keep theirs pristine and undriven, some will drive them for 100,000 miles plus. It's all good. It's just a car.

10. Viper Chick

Viper Chick Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    ... it's going to be my daily driver

11. DShatzer

DShatzer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm gonna use my cupholders too !

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Viper Chick

Viper Chick Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    i use my cup holders in the Viper - I usually drop the car key in one of them