Hello Fall goodbye traction!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Hemibuck, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So Fall has finally arrived in the NW and with the summer tires the Cat is almost uncontrollable when the temp is near 50 degrees. Seriously it's like you are on ice with even moderate throttle until the tires get warm. I'm actually thinking about taking it down to 500 to see how that helps. The worst part is the wheel hop is insane. I feel like I'm going to destroy something with that much wheel hop. Oh well only another month or so before it's parked for a few months so I will just make do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not to mention the extra ponies the cool air brings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Exactly!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. thedynoguy

thedynoguy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yup! I had mine out on Friday and it was 44 degrees outside. It's about un-drivable at anything over 20% throttle. I love it!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. FireLane

FireLane SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    A set of aftermarket rear lower control arms would just about eliminate the wheel hop.

6. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lately it's been anywhere from the 20's to the 50's. I'm still driving my car with summer tires and I agree there is a HUGE difference. During the week while commuting I've been running around in ECO mode. Helps a lot but even with a second gear start I broke them loose a couple of times and I wasn't getting on it at all.

I'd put it away for the winter but our temperatures fluctuate a lot this time of year. One morning it was 27 and the next morning it was 65...

7. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have been posting up those thoughts exactly for about a month now. Now you see what a cool MN morning gives us often for driving conditions about ten months out of the year.

Hey, go nail it at ANY legal speed somewhere and see if you can keep your pants clean...do not turn off any computer gremlins if you want to salvage you and your car!

Hemibuck, FYI we tried 500 hp, it works much better and seriously makes it safer. Yesterday, we drove in default/ECO that also takes the icy component and throttle sensitivity out of it also. But, yes, the raw Hellcat is stupid with wheelspin. The lack of traction plus the added HP make this thing crazy on a cool street.

Mine wheelhops bad on a good day if I apply too much power quickly with the 315/35's anyway. When I mounted the 275/40's no hop, but those things simply became spinning, smoking noise makers, they are a blast since they cost $200 each now. I could not believe actually good they were on a closed course once they were all warm and I could concentrate.

8. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No it won't. I have them and can go out and destroy it if I want.
    We simply have a bunch of torque to use. Yes, we can spin the small 275's, but with larger sticky rubber improper application of too much power will cause hop. Must give it a little power the avoid the grab - slip - grab.

Car just is trying to fly!

9. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yep gotta be careful with the cold pavement.

I sure like that cold dense air charge.

10. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I just let my brother in law drive it. He's a state trooper and can drive. He got on it and she busted loose and he just smiled and said wow that was only like 20% throttle! Later in the drive he got on it again and was blown away at how good it sounded and how fast it got up to speed. Not bad coming from a Chevy man.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ArtOfNoize

ArtOfNoize Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm still burning up what's left of my 555r's and it's gotten down into low 40s here. I'm enjoying it ;)

12. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    hopefully I will have my 3.09s in on Tuesday and a high of 65 for next week it should be very interesting with the summer tries.

13. Jerrt trapp

Jerrt trapp Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just changed from the summer tire to the 3 season tires at 4700 miles,the fronts have very little ware,the back ones are pretty slick for 4700 miles.The car has never been tracked,no big smokey burnouts,just a little spirited driving..This just goes to show if you jump on it at 30 its still probably still spinning at 100+.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We began to hit the 50s last week here in Dallas, so I knew it was time to get the All Seasons put on. Not only because of the reduced traction on the summer tires, but at 50 and below, the summer tires can crack and fail. Not just "can" but "will".

While the all season tires don't have good grip compared to summers, they DO have better grip now in the cooler weather vs the summers.

But the real benefit... oh man they ride so much more comfortably. They soak up the bumps so much better. I am enjoying the ride a lot more.

15. Jerrt trapp

Jerrt trapp Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The all season tire does ride better and they seem to handle the car a little better.Next summer I think we will have a few more choices to run in the 305 tires.