Help, Charger Cat Rear wheel hop at drag track

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by themarshall, Jul 18, 2015.

1. themarshall

themarshall Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Super wheel hop 1st gear at local drag track last night. Summer tires, sport mode, 32 psi. all four tires. What the heck am I doing wrong? Need input. Thanks

2. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Suspension work

3. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Need to launch different. When do you get the hop? Got time slips?Sport mode in traction?

4. themarshall

themarshall Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Got so pissed off I put the time slips in the trash can at the track. Dam I screw up, trap speed 122 mph. Wheel hop first & second gear after I lifted twice. Sport mode says traction control off.

5. themarshall

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Suspension work ok I'm all ears, what is avail. out there?

6. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Drag radials 1 st

7. themarshall

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have nito's in the trailer (storage) but if I put DR's on wont that give me more hop because they will hook better?

8. Dubs

Dubs Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No, wheel hop is a stick /slip condition with the tires. Get more grip and it will lessen the slip part....really want to eliminate it, put slicks on it. Once you try the DR's and launch harder you might get into wheel hop again, so you might just have to change the way your driving.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Dubs

Dubs Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    oh, and for the summer tires I would bring the rears down to the mid 20's and give them a little burnout. They want to be around 175F.

10. themarshall

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yo B5 Blue thanks for the help with the drag radials. You can guess what I;m going to do the next time out, put the dam DR's on! Anthing else I should get schooled on before I go out and wip the Mustang & Chevy boys?-------thanks again-----

11. themarshall

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yo Dubs, thank you for the info on summer tires. -------thanks again-----

12. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The tree. Go on 3rd green and adjust up/down. With DR you can launch in sport mode after a 5 second burnout so you need a Tazer linelock from Z automotive

13. themarshall

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yo B5Blue thanks again for info on the line lock.----------thanks-----

14. Trucker Bob

Trucker Bob Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My Wife's 2010 R/T gets wheel hop. I have not taken Cat to the strip yet. But after going to my SRT Driving day, I have played around a bit. I have not used the on board timers. That being said, the car feels faster with the trac. control in street come off the line on the soft side than nail the loud peddle to the floor. I get a little spin.. Than hang on!! Plus I don't think I'll blow the Drive Shaft out of the Car."Sometimes you have to go slow to go fast". "Days of Thunder"

15. dodgeboy

dodgeboy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    It's a combination of the tires and the suspension. Wheel hop is generally caused by poorly designed suspension (or simply suspension that was not designed to handle the kind of power it's getting thrown at it). In our case, the geometry is pretty good, but I think the bushings are too soft. You could put Pedders (or some other poly bushings) in the rear, but it isn't cheap. Someone else (speedlogix?) sells a rear suspension component that is supposed to eliminate hop, as well.

Putting stickier tires on it is more of a workaround than a fix. Lessening the chances of the tire slipping will lessen the chance of wheel hop, but if stickier tires do slip (poor track prep), it increases the chances of breaking something when the wheels start hopping. I've had wheel hop on the street with mine; more so than any other IRS vehicle I've driven. I also have summer tires.