Help! Crank Pin Kit

Discussion in 'High Horse Performance' started by Johnny, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Johnny

Johnny Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member HCC Germany President

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi guys,
    I ordered this Kit yesterday: Order Number 17671

VVT HEMI Crank Double Pin Install Kit (5.7Lvvt, 6.2L, 6.4L Crankshafts) - MMX-DBL-PIN
    image.jpeg

I have seen this Kit also on your Homepage
    image.jpeg

Which one is the right or better one for the crankshaft pulley / Challenger Hellcat ????
    Thanks

2. bam bam

bam bam Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In my humble opinion I prefer the one that is pinned through the end of the crank snout the one that has it going through the side of the crank snout I don't know how you would get that pulley off if you ever needed to and it would be impossible to ever line those holes up again. if it was drilled through the end of the crankshaft and you had to replace the pulley it could be machined so it could be lined up and still use the existing holes that were first drilled in the crankshaft.I also think it would be much stronger pinned through the end than it would be drill through the side.that's just the way I see it. more surface area.
    Bam Bam

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Johnny

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So if I have understood correctly ,
    Do you prefer the first Double pin kit above?

4. RichCat

RichCat Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

5. RichCat

RichCat Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    IMO the more secure pin is one that allows the full length of the pin to provide a shear surface.
    This would be the second kit I believe since the first kit has only the diameter of two pins in shear.
    That said either is better than what is there now. I would install two pins like the second kit rather than just the one, 180 degrees from one another.
    If you ever have to replace the pulley just drill out the old pins with a drill same size as the hole and ream the hole over size with an over size reamer. Install over sized pins. You can get them from McMasters-Car catalog. But this is a very low probability requirement…one hopes LOL.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would think either one will work fine - I can see the side pin type being much easier to install.

7. Johnny

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Shit
    My college told me we will lost our gurantee here in Germany if
    i drill in the crankshaft :eek:

8. Ray Hunsaker

Ray Hunsaker Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I like the second pin that's the one im gonna choose also want more meat pin it twice imo

9. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've recently ordered the double pin kit. Sod what they say in Germany pin the crank. I guess you have an aftermarket warrantee Johnny

10. Cimon hellcat

Cimon hellcat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The first picture you have posted is the best one, and if you do that you will lose your warranty,

11. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm not saying that one is better than the other, I'm not an engineer but I WILL be using the second kit IF I keep get another Hellcat. The one I
    have now will either be once again the property of Dodge or I'll sell it myself after the new motor is installed.

I see more surface area which means more friction if the pulley tries to turn as well as more mechanical force required to overcome the full length
    of the two pins. I also believe that it would be easier to "re-install" should the need arise to ever remove and reinstall the pulley.

The best bet is to pin it regardless of the kit that you use. Either one will be much better than using neither one.

12. bam bam

bam bam Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

No #2 for me

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. bam bam

bam bam Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I think you are spot on the money, my thought Exactly.
    Bam Bam

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wouldn't be concerned about the extra surface area of the parallel pin vs the perpendicular pin as remember these dampers are interference fit and designed not to slip (Yes a few have hence the reason for pinning). My point is you don't need a ton of surface area for the pin to prevent it slipping on the crank. The only thing I'm concerned about is what if you later replace the damper with a new stock one or you upgrade to the ATI. How difficult is it going to be to re-drill the parallel hole with a new damper in place and half the crank hole still in the crank and nothing in the new damper. Granted the fixture should hold everything in place and allow a true hole to be drilled. I agree the second one will be easier to get off but what if you pull the damper for any reason... (replace a crank seal) how do you align either of these when reinstalling? In both cases they would have to be perfect going on otherwise you have to pull it and start over. So I'm not thrilled with either of these. Ideally the best design would be a double pins that are in axial alignment with each other. Broach the damper with a slot so it slides over the pins so it acts like a key. With this design you could get it off and on again. I did see a picture of the ATI damper and it looked like it already had a slot (Key way) if that was the case they would just need a tool to align the pin holes... to me that seems like a home run.

15. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hemi Rocket....I do not disagree with your post. In fact the photos I've saw of the ATI damper did in fact show a keyway broached or possibly even
    EDMed into it. The only way that I would be able to cut a good keyway into the crank to match would be to pull the crank out of the block and then
    cut it with an end mill or use my old "shaper" and either one would be a pain. I 100% agree that a keyway and a square "key" would be the best
    solution.

Do you know of a good way to put a good square cut in the crank for a "key"? I'm on board if there's a good way. I just don't know of a good way
    without removing the crank.