HELP with pinning the crank

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by dhg66, Apr 9, 2016.

1. dhg66

dhg66 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We are pinning the crank this weekend and need a little help

What is the best way to lock the engine so you can remove the damper bolt and install the new bolt. is it best to lock the flywheel or is there a way to put the transmission into drive with the engine not running, please provide specific instructions for either.

Can the factory damper bolt be reused or must it be replaced with the new damper, the new bolt is 3 days out so we were hoping to reuse the old bolt

please confirm that the torque spec for the damper bolt is 239 ft lbs or do you torque to a lower setting and then torque further to a specified degrees of rotation ?

On the ATI pinning fixture, the pin is perpendicular to the crank, not parallel, do we really drill all the way through to the center of the crank or just deep enough to get the pin deep enough to clear the keyway ... are thinking is that by not drilling all the way through the crank to the center the pin can not go to far through and possibly not engage the keyway slot.

2. jvm728

jvm728 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Pictures help. See my build thread for a great DIY; which also addresses preventing the crank from turning.

Torque spec is correct. I took mine to 242 ft lb

Pinning the crank not in line with the crank shaft seems like a bad idea. Way less surface taking the load; though, it's just a backup plan. I understand this is a debate

Don't reuse the old bolt. Not worth the risk

3. dhg66

dhg66 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    we made a fixture to lock the auto trans in place and were able to remove the old damper, we install the ATI fixture onto the crank and bolted it down only to find that the guide for drilling could not be installed, so we backed it off a slight bit and ground the nearly flush side on the ATI fixture flat so it could be installed, we drilled the hole through the crank and into the old bolt and got the pin installed.
    Now we are trying to install the ATI hub and pulley/ damper assembly and need the hemi installation stud for the damper installer. ATI is out of stock if anyone has this installation stud we would sure like to buy it