Here is a new one.....

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat TSB's' started by gilgamesh, Nov 21, 2015.

1. gilgamesh

gilgamesh Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So about a week ago I noticed a ticking sound coming from my front end when I was making low speed left or right hand turns-like when exiting a parking spot for example. The ticking was decidedly louder than a header tick and was related to tire speed-the faster I went the faster it went. When I would straighten out, it would go away immediatly. I could not feel ANYTHING inside the car and the car drove completly normal.

Stumped? Yeah, I was too.... The dealership told me it was that my front brake rotors had come out of torque spec. They retightened them and all was well. The sound went away immediatly. I have never heard of this.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. FireLane

FireLane SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    It is because it's a two piece rotor, it is a common "side effect". Nothing to worry about but can be annoying. The disks, where the pads grab is bolted to the hub which rides on bearings to the spindle. There are slots through which the both fit in the discs which allow the disks to expand when heated by the pads rubbing in a stop. Repeated heat cycles causes relative movement of the disc slots and bolts. The bolts are torque with spring clips to hold the disks to the hubs. Some wearing occurs which can cause the spring clips to make the clicking noise you hear.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yep two piece rotors!

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not new, and we weren't stumped while reading this lol.

All ya gotta do is search the forum before freaking out (or making new threads).

• Useful Useful x 1