Hibernating Hellcat

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by sledguy, Jan 7, 2017.

1. sledguy

sledguy SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How often are you folks starting your hibernating Hellcats?

2. Mills

Mills Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Zero. If I can't drive it and bring it fully up to operating temp I don't start it

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. SRT Fan

SRT Fan SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Weekly... and taking it out for a spin whenever the weather clears up for a few days.

It is me that is getting rusty! Not driving it regularly and taking it out for a high speed blast is not a good combo... As I discovered over the Holidays, when friends and family stopped by to experience the Hellcat.

Take a while to familiarize yourself with the beast, if it has been a while...

4. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I take it out once every two weeks or so, weather dependent. The weather has not cooperated lately, so it hasn't been out in quite a few weeks. I have it on a Battery Tender Jr., so it is just maintaining charge in a full battery at the moment. Battery was below 80% when I put the tender on it.

5. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member HOTM Winner

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I start mine one a week and move it out of the garage, weather permitting.

I do a "cold start" method on it, and then move it out of the garage and run it for 15-20 min, making sure to not let the engine idle at one speed. If the roads are clear, I drive it around the block so that the tires get rotated and don't end up in the same spot when I back into the garage. When the engine is up to full temp, I make sure to get the RPM up above 2500 so the piston/cylinder oilers open up...

6. RiverCat

RiverCat Hellcat Maniac Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm very similar, I fire it up and back it out of the garage right away and take a light run around town, once I get it warmed I'll go open it up out of the city limits. It nicely keeps the garage warm for hours when I get back. I try to do that every week or so. I took it to my in laws on Christmas and it created quite a commotion. My 90 year old mother in law said see wanted to see it, and the first thing she did was come out and take look, then climbed in the passenger side and demanded we go for a ride, she loved it! What's a son in law to do! It was great, it's all she talks about now, she wants to know when am I bringing it over again. The cool thing is she said it reminds her of when her and my father in law bought their 68 charger!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. sledguy

sledguy SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would need to put chains on the darn thing to make it anywhere. I do have the battery tender on it and start it and drive it a few feet very other week trying to end up on a different tire spot each time. Any other suggestions?

8. TrackDay

TrackDay Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just for reference the piston cooling jets open up below 30 psi. That's well below 2500 rpm unless your oil is really hot.

9. TrackDay

TrackDay Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are lots of ways to avoid flat spots. I just put mine on some wheel dollies. Race Ramps and others make parking pads with a good radius on them. Some others just park on carpet pads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member HOTM Winner

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I'm not sure I understand this, it doesn't make sense, my oil pressure is always above 30psi...

I swear I read they were controlled by poppet valves toggled by pressure & volume which effectively happened at 2500rpm...

Or maybe 3500?

11. TrackDay

TrackDay Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They have small poppets in them yes, but they are just pressure controlled. It's a simple mechanical device.

12. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Started it yesterday. Last time I heard it was in the beginning of November. Hope next time I can drive it. I hope that is not another two months but sometime in late Feb, early March I hope we get lucky.

13. schv

schv SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I never start it unless I'm going to drive it, and I never drive it while there's even a trace of salt on the roads. Once or twice per winter I'll get to take it out for a spin, but if not no biggie. It's only a couple of months of downtime in this area....

14. moparjim

moparjim SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just leave it on a battery tender and don't start it. The car is sitting on parking mats. The are about 2inches thick rubber squares that are a bit soft so they give instead of tire.

15. schv

schv SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I also keep a battery tender on mine, plus I park it on squares of cardboard, maybe four layers thick, and I air the tires up to 50psi. Concrete isn't very nice to rubber over time...