HK Sound System

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Bubba871, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Bubba871

Bubba871 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    :mad: What a joke. Maybe 200 watts of the most unclean power I have ever seen in current car audio system. My 2016 Honda Pilot blows this HK system out of the water. What an embarrassment to HK and to Dodge.
    I was a late 2015 build but I will check to see if the HK update will help. However car stereos either work or they don't. All software can do is play games with the EQ.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My HC Challenger was built 8/10 and delivered 10/10. It did not show as needing the update but they did it anyway and it made the system totally different and it sounds great now. Before if I faded to the rear it sounded like it was playing through a kazoo.

Apparently software can do much more than adjust the EQ on these systems.

3. Bubba871

Bubba871 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I sure hope so. You have given me hope that it can be fixed.

4. BLK_MAGIC

BLK_MAGIC VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've heard the update do wonders..

5. carholic

carholic Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine was built in December. It sounds great. Maybe it already has the new software?

6. RAMBLE1

RAMBLE1 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had the update a few weeks ago. Now, the sound is great. Prior, I thought the sound came through tin cans. My CAT is an OCT 2014 build. I hope the update will help you. Good Luck!

7. hellzya

hellzya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes do the update. I got my 16 a completely expected the hk to sound like crap but I'm blown away from how good it sounds. Was a pleasant surprise.

8. FINALLYSATISFIED

FINALLYSATISFIED Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hope so. My '12 300 ST8 with the HK setup needed some serious work for it to sound decent. I really hope software is all that's it's needed. Thursday is my apt for any TSBs and software updates to be done.

9. Cathearder

Cathearder SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My 2016 was built in October and arrived 10 November. Incredible sound system. It sounds great at low volume. Couldn't stand it above 18

10. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    '16/Nov 10 2015 build

Selecting "Surround" mode required quite a bit of rear fade and then a small bit of volume to make up for it, then seemed ok or even good, typical volume level for comfortable listening and still being able to talk with passenger is 4 to 8.

'Don't recall exact levels, but somewhere up at 1/2 to 2/3rds of the scale are where the subs are becoming significant, and sound pressure is "notable".

Deselecting Surround gave a crisper sound, but obviously was biased all forward and requires less volume.

Flying around in that beast in my avatar has left me on the short side of being able to hear on a finer level, so you're not going to get much of a quality review from me...

I ultimately left it in Surround mode...

11. WNY Cat

WNY Cat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If listening to Sirius XM sounds significantly worse than using the SD card input then you probably need the flash update. It can only be done at a dealership. Even after the update, I'm am not impressed by the system.

12. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    10/11/15 build

Sirius also seems to change their quality depending on the channel. And that the channels themselves EQ thier content differently. Try a channel like Elec Area as a test and see the difference. Also that channel plays large shows with the content all from one artist or collection. Then listen to something like Hair Nation and see the quality drop and drastically change per song with the DJ and channel ads blasting you out of the car. Sat radio is all over the place quality wise.

I haven't tried the SD or audio jack yet, but I did stream a high quality internet radio channel over bluetooth from the phone and was suprised it sounded pretty good.

I just wish the subs weren't under that cover. Also the bass is set a little too agressive for my tastes even with it near the center of EQ. I like rock and old school rock/metal. If I listen to something heavy with double bass drum, the bass can become somewhat overpowering and annoying. An example is a song by WASP came on called LOVE machine. The double bass was so obnoxious and annoying to the point it was all you heard. I never realized it was non stop double bass until I heard it in this car. It's there in the song, but the car made it sound like I was driving over rumble strips made of speed bumps.