HK stereo upgrade

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by ManicMechanicMD, Feb 13, 2015.

1. ManicMechanicMD

ManicMechanicMD Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I had a general question for anyone out there that spent the extra $2k for the upgraded package with amp and sub/subs. I have a 2010 Tacoma with the JBL stereo that has a 10" sub from the factory. I have to say it's one of the absolute best factory systems I've ever heard. Granted the speakers are all in the cab and not in the trunk with anything in the way. I know there are more speakers/tweeters but I am expecting a lot for the extra money I'm spending on it. Does anyone have any comments on this? I have read other threads that it's less than expected or even disappointing. I can put a lot of equipment in the car with $2000 but I didn't want to have to do anything over factory if they can do it in a clean way. I'm an audiophile almost as much as I'm a car guy. I'm not expecting to win any contests but I would be more than disappointed if it wasn't worth the extra cash. There are a lot of people that will comment that the exhaust/engine/supercharger are the real music and there are times that's no question. Problem is that I like music too and I wanted to see what opinions are out there for that side of things.

Thanks everyone for your input.

By the way, I called today and my Charger is in BX status. Last week was BG...so I'm moving closer. Still excited.

• Like Like x 1
  2. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    WOW 2Gs !

3. ManicMechanicMD

ManicMechanicMD Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, I know. Most of what I have at home is Infinity for which the parent company is HK. I hope to be impressed but wanted to see if anyone had the system already.

4. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just saw this was a charger forum post.. I don't know if they are the same as ones in the challenger.. which I think sound great tho really not as loud as I expected...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blackdevil77

Blackdevil77 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I would have to hear both. Either way, I doubt it's worth 2 grand unless the base system is really REALLY lacking. More speakers doesn't always equal better. In the pro audio world, it usually means worse. Louder sound, but more inaccurate sound with comb filtering, hot spots and nulls at all different frequncies etc. I'm an audiophile also, I just don't usually mix that one hobby with another. Maybe I'll post my home sound system in the off topic session. Not sure if anyone cares, but if you do, I'm willing to bet it's not anything you've probably ever seen or heard of.

6. AvsBest

AvsBest Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The base system is the 6 speakers, el cheapos V6 SXT system. There is no in between here or you get the best possible or the worst possible. It seems like it is a love or hate relationship with HK either you love it (like me) or you hate it (like some hardcore audiophile). I found that you must place great quality music in the system for it to shine (CD or itunes). Even CD sometimes it's hit and miss but Itunes always sound great.

Most people's complaint is that it is not loud enough (I put it at half and my ears bleed so not my case) and/or that you need to crank it up a bit too much to have the better of the system.

I strongly suggest you go to your dealership and find a]2014 SRT charger (or 12 or 13 I guess) with the system in it, pair your phone to it and try your own music, that way you will know for sure.

7. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Harmon Kardon is by far one of the best factory upgrade system compared to the $2000 - $3000 systems I used to upgrade aftermarket, the quality is amazing and the bass is kick butt at giving me a massage when my body is stressed out. I put a weather tech mat in the trunk and it still slams above Volume level 20 real nice and deep

I leave the equalizer at mid level default and it's amazing still

8. CPRHDSRT

CPRHDSRT Pontiac Bred ................. SRT Addicted Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have the HK in my 13. One of the best OEM systems for sure - only wish they would have more than 3 bands for the equalizer within uConnect to dial it in more. My 88 GTA has a 5 band EQ for goodness sake.

I would go and compare on the dealer lot(s) once they have the 15 SRT 392s.

9. Blackdevil77

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    In that case, it's probably worth it. I'm not picky with car sound systems, but based on what you said, it sounds like the difference would be rather dramatic.

Snobby audiophiles dislike Harman. They just happen to make some cheap, crappy stuff, but they also make fantastic, very high end stuff, like Revel, the JBL synthesis line etc. Also being somewhat involved in pro audio, they're also one of the most popular choices in professional audio applications.

10. PhantomWorks

PhantomWorks Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have the upgraded system (w/sub)in my 2006 SRT and it sounds very very nice! That is why I ordered it in the HC

11. rickydl

rickydl Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have the HK system in my 14SRT Jeep and my 12SRT Charger. Couldn't be happier. Everybody that rides shotgun loves the sound. I don't find it lacking in volume. Ordered in my 15SRT Charger Hellcat.

12. tsc

tsc SRT Hellcat Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Having the HK system in the Hellcat Challenger, I must say I love it and is leaps and bounds better than the setup with a Kicker sub in my 2010 SRT8. With good quality source (320 kbps MP3, Pandora High Quality, etc) it really sounds great to me. Satellite can sound a bit weak but that is due to the compressed signal from the satellite. Prior systems used Sirius hardware, the 2015s use XM which isn't as good. If you're into hip-hop, channel 44 still puts out some good bass. :)

The bass hits HARD once you are at volume level 25. I usually never go past 25 (it goes up to 38) as it is plenty loud for me.

For us it was a no-brainer to include it in the Charger... it's the only option on the car. Just wish it came stock with the Charger. Can't understand why it would be stock on the cheaper Challenger, but not on the more expensive Charger.. when both are 'halo' cars. *shrug*

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have had some high-end car stereos. I listed to this system, in a 2015 SRT, and was duly impressed. It's the "Green Edge" line of speakers and amp (see a lot of helpful details about it, on the HK site!)

• Useful Useful x 2
  14. Blackdevil77

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Then I would certainly say for somebody who frequently enjoys listening to music in their car, the sound system upgrade is worth it.

15. Kevin M

Kevin M Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Love to see your home system.. Being a fellow Audiophile, I'm almost as picky with my car stuff and I'm concerned that this factory HK system is weak from what I'm reading in various post. Hopefully since some software updates, some people can give those of us waiting for our cars an accurate assessment?