Hood problems

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by sahak, Nov 25, 2015.

1. sahak

sahak Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Saw the thread about the hood not being secure at high speeds. I am confirming that it is not secure after 160+ I thought my hood was gonna fly off at 166 mph.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It would take a catastrophic failure for the hood to come up at any speed. Now I have done some high speed dashes here and there and the hood def does flex or bow upward with the build up of air pressure under the hood, but it is in no way in danger of just coming undone and flying off

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sahak

sahak Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hopefully it doesn't but it scared the hell out of me lol

4. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You'd have to have a type of metallurgical failure for it to happen, not just the latch that holds it that we open with the cable, but also the physical one we have to move out of the way to open the hood. Could it happen? Sure anything is possible, but something would really need to go wrong for it to happen

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So the real question is, while at 166+, did the hood come off? If not, no worries.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. sahak

sahak Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No but what about 180? I guess I'll have to try

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You could do 280 and that hood wouldn't go anywhere. Yea she flexes but that double latch isn't going to fail.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. GreenPirate

GreenPirate SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know that this is meant to signal a serious concern. But just think of all of this in the context of "normal" cars. How many folks have the experience of running up to 160 mph plus, just to see their hood bulge!
    Even if I never get over 150, I can live vicariously off this thread!!!
    :):D:eek::):)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My car has saw mid to upper 170's about thirty or so times and thus far a top speed of 182. The hood most certainly "bows"
    and just looks WRONG. That said, it's a big car, and there's a lot of air moving under the hood (pressure pushing up against the underside) and a lot of air moving over it (low pressure "vacuuming" the hood up). I would be surprised to find that just
    the occasional high speed blast would cause the aluminum hood to fatigue enough to fail and wrap around the windshield
    and top of the car but it could happen.

All of that said, enough "cycles" work hardening the aluminum around the attaching points may at some point cause stress
    cracks and eventual failure. Think about the many cycles that aluminum aircraft go through before developing issues, unless
    their is some design or material problems we should never hear of any actual incidents. BUT, it can be a little unnerving to
    see that hood "grow" knowing that it's lights out through the front glass if and when it fails. I know from experience. I had
    a supercharged stroker motor in a 94 Cobra. Due to the big air to air intercooler mounted up front I had to remove the factory
    hood catch. I replaced it with several dzus fasteners. I got distracted, failed to lock the dzus fasteners before jumping in the
    car for a drive and what an unforgettable experience that was.

The hood concerns have been listed in a few other threads on this site and at least one other site that I know of. If you are
    really concerned about the hood, you may look at adding some additional devices along with the factory hood catch. I don't like the old school hood pins or the damage to the paint that the pin retaining cables often cause but there are other ways
    of accomplishing the same thing.

10. graycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    20151112_175624 (1).jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Johnny

Johnny Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member HCC Germany President

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I ordered The Mopar hood pins.
    Safety First!
    I dont want that the hood fly away by 200mph or less.
    (German Autobahn)

12. graycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Johnny. How much of a hassle was it to get a Hellcat in DE? Were any changes required for export/import?

13. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i have had larger gaps on the front drivers side corner after 1/4 mile racing....by the time i got home it went back down....were talking 1/4" gap...A fellow HC owner asked me if my hood was latched the gap was so large....i dont know if the heat causes movement

my car was in a minor accident and that corner was bent up....the hood was all readjusted and looked fine, but after my 3rd trip to the track it had shifted or something.....the body shop readjusted it for me and it looks just fine....not sure if high speed (126mph) can tweak your hood...but it does something to mine

it was in 40 degree weather...wonder if aluminum reacts funny to cold air temps and high engine temps making the hood deflect slightly.....it was odd 45 mins later to get home and have the gap be down to about 1/16

i have nitto's.....150mph is it for me

14. Johnny

Johnny Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member HCC Germany President

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Its like a lottery!
    Especially for Plum Crazy. But when you have a good Importeure here
    with a good connection then thats easy!
    We havent any allocations here but i dont know if the Exportvehicles a specific number is available !?

For the Import here they change the middle or the end muffler from the exhaust system.
    The OEM is too loud :D
    But no matter, i ordered the Zoomers Catback system :eek::p
    And they subdivide the rear lights with an amber turn signal and a rear fog light
    German law :mad:
    But you can after the "TÜV" ( technical inspection ) downgrade to the OEM

Thats all.

image.png

15. graycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Danke Johnny.

I spend some time in DE, CH,IT,HU, RU,RO and CZ for work. I have been surprised to see some of the decades old American "muscle cars" in Europe. Is there a strong market for export from the US to and from private citizens? I have
    been involved in the import/export and manufacture of defense articles or "War Material" as some in Europe call these
    items.

Since we can trade in defense articles as restricted as they are, it seems that autos would be much easier. Is it or do
    you know? I'm always looking for new business opportunities and this one, if it exists, would be enjoyable.

Thank you for your response.
    Best regards from Tennessee.
    Keith