Hood Wrap and Xpel Questions

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Mopar707, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Mopar707

Mopar707 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am looking to get my hood wrapped and I assume the inserts in the three scoops have to come out and be reinstalled after the wrap. Is this correct? The hardware to remove the two side scoops is obvious, but I can't see and hardware that attaches the center scoop. Is there any, or is it a pop in?

The car is bright white and I can't decide between a matte black vinyl, a satin black vinyl or a matte black carbon fiber? The matte would seem to blend best with the wheels and spoiler. Even the matte black carbon fiber has a shine to it unlike the wheels. What was the thought process from those that have done this already?

The vinyl seems to be about $12 a SF installed and requires a piece approximately 5' by 6' to the nearest foot. Does $360 sound about right for a vinyl hood wrap How much more for carbon fiber vinyl?

I ordered the precut Xpel kit for the nose only and plan to have a local installer install it as well do sheet cut to do the mirrors, door sills and possible the door edges. Has anyone tried Xpel on the door edges and are they happy with the result? What should I expect to pay in labor to install the nose kit and to make and install coverings for the mirrors, door sills and door edges?

Thanks!

Don

2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I don't know your answers BUT no shine on the hood or you won't see Jack on a sunny day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    for the center scoop insert .. using a long screw driver there are two tangs that need to be gently pushed by going thru the latch opening while gently using your other hand to push from behind and it will come right out.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Scottys jet

Scottys jet Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Carbon fiber films have a texture won't wirk well with xpel not sure I would both protecting as the xpel installed will cost more than an additional hood wrap down the road.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's weird what do they do with cars that have a shiny black hood from factory

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mopar707

Mopar707 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Doing hood in wrap and Xpel on the nose. Do not plan on doing Xpel over wrap if that was not clear.

I own an all gloss black car in Florida and never noticed glare problem when driving it. I actually think there is more glare from the white, that I have never owned before. I think the white actually reflects light and the black tends more to absorb light, even when both are gloss.

7. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I paid $495 for the Xpel, nose, front bumper and lower part and they threw in headlights for free. They did everything, I just sat back and watched.

8. Brampton Builder

Brampton Builder Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We use a fibre stick to remove the centre black scoop , never use an metal tool as you can scratch the paint on the hood