Houston street racing

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Zebug, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know this is a controversial topic, personally I won't be street racing (not saying I'll always be under the speed limit though lol) but came across this article just today. It's huge in Houston... How about other cities?

http://abc13.com/automotive/inside-look-at-houstons-illegal-street-racing/497564/

2. Beeman

Beeman Silver Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
  3. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Always reminds me of every few years Houston police department always go on a sting operation to bust every racer gathering or event especially the ones late at night. Remember the raid that happened at K-Mart on westheimer road by Dunvale back in early 2000s?

Off subject sorta - One time a cop pulled me over into a borders books and cafe parking lot for fast acceleration at a green light without even measuring the speed when I had a greddy turbo Honda Prelude 1998 model. A camaro guy saw what happened and tried to give the cop trouble about profiling street racers. The cop even had the nerve to ask haven't I seen you before? I was like nope. This is my first time and that was the truth, he pulled my driving record and he kept using a flash light searching my ride I and out with my fiancé right next to me and finally he found me missing the front license plate where I put it on the dash near the windshield so he didn't want to leave until he gave me a ticket for that LOL

I used to hang out with a group called Team Rush motor sports the owner became a good friend then a group called Illegal speed showed up and started hanging out with all of us. All was dissolved in a year.

4. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was just telling my girlfriend about that round up at kmart several years ago. Didn't they arrest like 300 people that night...I'm going to look it up.

Found something referencing that night: 278 arrests that night, mostly for trespassing and curfew violations.
    http://abc13.com/archive/6079101/

5. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Cops got a valid point when innocent people are hurt or killed

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah it was crazy and all over the local news.

7. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Totally agree.

8. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I've been fortunate enough to have dragstrips in my reach and save it for there. I remember in 2001 when Milan Dragway started Friday night shootouts just for street cars. Gates opened at 4pm elims at 8 and there was at least 100 cars so IF you kept winning (fortunate a few times) it didn't get over til 12:30 and the secret to winning was you had to bear in mind the later it got the cooler it got so cars run quicker and you need to keep changing your dial in between rounds.
    Anywho it was just nice to BS in the staging lanes with everyone and usually only 2 people may get hurt NOT innocent people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very cool, I'm not that hardcore though lol wish I had a story like that to share

10. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Happens all the time out here in So. Cal. Mostly rice burners doing it. Just the other night, 2 killed, turned out to be a high school kid and his GF.

11. Carnage

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah one rule I have is respect for my loved ones who ride with me. I will never ever race while my fiancé, pets, kids or friends and family are in my ride. If we love them we don't toy with their lives over meaningless racing egos

12. Nightmare

Nightmare Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I read about that since I live out here in socal, it was actually a brother and sister who were racing in their honda against a truck. neither of them had a license either and the kid was only 16. it was a real shame, I couldn't imagine what the parents are going through losing not only one child but both.