SRT Hellcat Forum banner

How can US buyers be locked out of sunroofs?

4K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  Zebug 
#1 ·
I'm sorry but I have to rant here. I'm about to pay $65,000 for a car and have to compromise on options even though those options are going into cars rolling off the line NOW and my car doesn't get built until mid-August? WTF is that? How the hell can that be possible? Not only that, the communication from Dodge/Dealer has been all over the place. SRT helpline said no Sunroof options. When I said they are being put on cars, they said they are not aware of Canadian orders. Dealer said Dodge told him no sunroofs because of roof flex. A flat out lie.

This just sucks. It's not a deal breaker as I can live with the car without a sunroof (didn't have one on my shelby and didn't mind), but it does open up the cabinet and I prefer the light coming in. I'm just frustrated knowing that parts are in the plant and I can't have those parts. I'm on the fence now about saying **** it and just waiting until 2016 so I can get exactly what I want. But then I have to get to the back of the line again and god knows if I'll even get one then.

I'll say this...my dealer is great. I am getting a car at MSRP, 6MT...it's not their fault Dodge ****** up with the options. It's not their fault Dodge has the worst communication with regards to sunroofs, etc. It's not their fault Dodge can't stock enough wheels or black hoods. It's just silly how amateur hour they've handled this launch. Sunroofs appear in ALL OF THE MEDIA DEMOS and Prototypes yet they couldn't tool the factory to have them ready in time? I'd rather they had waited until everything was ready to go before letting people order. Ugh...What to do?

See less See more
#2 ·
Be glad you can't get the sunroof. Sunroof's don't belong in muscle cars!!!

#4 ·
Dealer said Dodge told him no sunroofs because of roof flex. A flat out lie.
I think that is the actual reason for the sunroof delay. The pre-production ones had them to test them. The way it was explained to me was that it as a $$$ issue between offering the sunroof vs fixing them under warranty, motors, rails etc. If the cost of fixing them over the years is more then the feature itself, then its not worth it. I had the sunroof in my last challenger fixed/replaces a few times due to body flex tweaking the rails, screwing up the motor. Maybe they finally figure out that its not a good idea?

#6 ·
Why even introduce the sunroof this late in a model year if you can't even add it to an order? Just to p!ss people off?

Can't even blame launch at this pount for all the issues. Blame it on poor planning, relying on outside vendors, no communication and horrible scheduling.

If they have the parts and are building them..then who is getting them? Secret lottery? Favors?

#19 ·
I also don't the the "late availability" for paint colors. I mean really? Paint has to be the easiest thing to get..... I doubt somebody is out of pigment!

#9 ·
I agree with the statement about the miscommunication and unprofessional manner in which the launch of the HellCat has been (mis)managed. The entire fiasco has left , "a bad taste in my mouth", so to speak, even though I am one of the lucky ones that got their HellCat back in December. My irritation/frustration/disappointment was not over the sunroof, but over the B5 Blue issue. I tried to order Dante in B5 and was told that FCA had deleted that color choice completely for 2015 (miscommunication between FCA and the dealership), not that it was being added as a late color choice, else I would have waited and gotten what I truly wanted. Even now, 6.5 months later, every time I look at Dante I feel a little pissed off knowing that I could have gotten the color I wanted, not the color that I settled for and am not happy with. So, I can understand/sympathize with the rant over the sunroof.

April

#10 ·
B5 is a great color....But I wouldn't find it too hard to "settle" for Redline though! ;-)

#12 ·
Why do people have to force their opinions on others on this forum? If somebody wants a sunroof in their 60K+ car, why question their choice? It's not your car and you don't have to drive it.

They could put 2 in and shag carpeting for all I care. People on here need to chill with "my way or you're wrong" BS on here. If somebody wants a sunroof good for them. Enjoy the sunroof.

#13 ·
I don't think anybody has stated "you are wrong." But people do have the right to respond in a differing or dissenting opinion, you know that right? Not everyone has to respond, "you know, that upsets me too, I wish they offered a sunroof."

That's way too left way of thinking....If someone says something that differs from their point of view, attack them for it, call them a name, call it BS and then tell them they don't have the right to speak with a point of view that differs from their own.
See the irony/hypocrisy in that?

#15 ·
No.

OP: I want a sunroof and it's not available to add. Discuss.

Sunroofs suck. I would never get one. Muscle cars shouldn't have sunroofs. They add weight. I hate the sun shining in.

Which were on topic or talking about adding a sunroof to an order?

Which were BS responses that were opinions that the OP should change his mind towards getting a sunroof because he was given reasons why others think they suck?

#17 ·
Did you see the OP's very last few words?
It was a question. Said "what to do?"

That there shows you that he's asking for opinions.
That means agree or disagree, he wants inputs from others.

I, like others, gave him reasons why NOT to have a sunroof in a performance/muscle car. It opens his mind to think about those exact reasons to NOT have one.

So to tell people they don't have the right to respond in dissent or give their opinions when he specifically asked for it, is the wrong train of thought, and the only BS in the thread.

#16 ·
Ugh...What to do?
In my opinion, get the car, forget the sunroof.
You'll buy cars your whole life with options that you "wished" it had but doesn't.
If a sunroof is a deal breaker for you, don't get the car. Hit up your local Lexus dealer, I'm sure all their cars come with them standard.
Also, better to buy a car with an option or two you "wished" it had but doesn't and therefore you didn't have to pay for it, then to pay for a car that has a bunch of options you didn't want and will never use, therefore throwing extra money away.

Buy it or don't. How important is a sunroof to you really?

#20 · (Edited)
Exaggeration....so left field.

Clearly, to anyone in center or right field, the point was that if a sunroof is THAT important to him that he needs to ask "what to do?" about whether to get a Hellcat because he can't get a sunroof, then maybe he needs to look elsewhere, like a Lexus dealer for the car that will satisfy him because it has a sunroof standard, or for sure is an easy option to get.
The Hellcat could of come without a nav system, back up camera, power seats, parking sensors, Sirius radio, etc and I'd still of gotten one. Having to ask what to do over just a sunroof, it's clear his priorities about what this car is all about are not in order.
We can agree to disagree.

#23 ·
If you have it, you must need it. You probably have a shovel then too. ;)

I'm not going to debate this any further with someone who clearly thinks it's ok to tell others what opinions they can and can't have and whether or not they can state those opinions in an open forum, without being attacked for it, especially after the person asked for them...that's just way to obtuse to waste anymore time on.

Good day.

#24 ·
I'm sorry but I have to rant here. I'm about to pay $65,000 for a car and have to compromise on options even though those options are going into cars rolling off the line NOW and my car doesn't get built until mid-August? WTF is that? How the hell can that be possible? Not only that, the communication from Dodge/Dealer has been all over the place. SRT helpline said no Sunroof options. When I said they are being put on cars, they said they are not aware of Canadian orders. Dealer said Dodge told him no sunroofs because of roof flex. A flat out lie.

This just sucks. It's not a deal breaker as I can live with the car without a sunroof (didn't have one on my shelby and didn't mind), but it does open up the cabinet and I prefer the light coming in. I'm just frustrated knowing that parts are in the plant and I can't have those parts. I'm on the fence now about saying **** it and just waiting until 2016 so I can get exactly what I want. But then I have to get to the back of the line again and god knows if I'll even get one then.

I'll say this...my dealer is great. I am getting a car at MSRP, 6MT...it's not their fault Dodge ****** up with the options. It's not their fault Dodge has the worst communication with regards to sunroofs, etc. It's not their fault Dodge can't stock enough wheels or black hoods. It's just silly how amateur hour they've handled this launch. Sunroofs appear in ALL OF THE MEDIA DEMOS and Prototypes yet they couldn't tool the factory to have them ready in time? I'd rather they had waited until everything was ready to go before letting people order. Ugh...What to do?
If I were you, I would go the my dealer and tell them I wanted a sunroof, and then prepare to wait some more.

#32 ·
I believe this response is more along the lines the OP was looking for. Insinuating that the person should compromise what they wanted for a completely different car isn't helping anyone. With regards to high horsepower cars and roof holes, the new Z06 Corvette convertible is available with the same horsepower as the coupe, so there is a slight indication the engineering problem can be solved. The weight issue is more relevant that there is more weight above the centerline, adding to the vehicle "roll" during cornering maneuvers. Me, I would appreciate my sold order merely filled the way I ordered it.
Wait for 2016, if you want a Hellcat with a sunroof. Be pleasantly surprised if for some twist of fate, FCA builds from your original POC.

#37 ·
My 09 Challenger SRT 6 speed pushing 741rwhp and high 10's at 134mph has a factory sunroof and works like a champ. No leaks squeaks or malfunctions and has about 80 drag runs pulling 1.5x to 1.6x 60 foots with Hoosier slicks. Sorry I don't buy the structural integrity argument. Yea I know mine is 1 out of 100 that is OK. LOL

But I feel the OP's pain. Chrysler made me delete the sunroof and HK system on my Hellcat Charger otherwise dealer said he coud not promise me one in 2015. I had 10 minutes to make up my mind. Needless to say I was pissed but agreed and got my car 6 weeks later. Could care less about the HK system since it sucks anyway and I upgraded on my own for a fraction of the cost but still steaming about the sunroof especially when I see a ton of Hellcat Chargers with them. Sometimes FCA is clueless.

But in the end the car is phenomenal and would make the same decision again.

#39 ·
My 09 Challenger SRT 6 speed pushing 741rwhp and high 10's at 134mph has a factory sunroof and works like a champ. No leaks squeaks or malfunctions
I was only at about 550rwhp, but had issues. Never had a leaking problem, but i did have a few modules.motors,rails that had to be replaced due to body flex

#38 ·
I don't really care about sunroofs. If I ordered the car, I would have passed. But, buying off the lot my Charger had one. It does look good with the B5, and since it never rains here, I do use it. Just my opinion, but I think it fits the Charger better than the Challenger. Regarding the extra weight, I could care less about a few more pounds with a 700hp car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.