How can US buyers be locked out of sunroofs?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Kaneda, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Kaneda

Kaneda BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm sorry but I have to rant here. I'm about to pay $65,000 for a car and have to compromise on options even though those options are going into cars rolling off the line NOW and my car doesn't get built until mid-August? WTF is that? How the hell can that be possible? Not only that, the communication from Dodge/Dealer has been all over the place. SRT helpline said no Sunroof options. When I said they are being put on cars, they said they are not aware of Canadian orders. Dealer said Dodge told him no sunroofs because of roof flex. A flat out lie.

This just sucks. It's not a deal breaker as I can live with the car without a sunroof (didn't have one on my shelby and didn't mind), but it does open up the cabinet and I prefer the light coming in. I'm just frustrated knowing that parts are in the plant and I can't have those parts. I'm on the fence now about saying **** it and just waiting until 2016 so I can get exactly what I want. But then I have to get to the back of the line again and god knows if I'll even get one then.

I'll say this...my dealer is great. I am getting a car at MSRP, 6MT...it's not their fault Dodge ****** up with the options. It's not their fault Dodge has the worst communication with regards to sunroofs, etc. It's not their fault Dodge can't stock enough wheels or black hoods. It's just silly how amateur hour they've handled this launch. Sunroofs appear in ALL OF THE MEDIA DEMOS and Prototypes yet they couldn't tool the factory to have them ready in time? I'd rather they had waited until everything was ready to go before letting people order. Ugh...What to do?

• Like Like x 1
  2. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Be glad you can't get the sunroof. Sunroof's don't belong in muscle cars!!!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. kenhebe

kenhebe Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This rant over a sunroof?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think that is the actual reason for the sunroof delay. The pre-production ones had them to test them. The way it was explained to me was that it as a $$$ issue between offering the sunroof vs fixing them under warranty, motors, rails etc. If the cost of fixing them over the years is more then the feature itself, then its not worth it. I had the sunroof in my last challenger fixed/replaces a few times due to body flex tweaking the rails, screwing up the motor. Maybe they finally figure out that its not a good idea?

5. RammJaeger

RammJaeger Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's his car, if he wants a sunroof, then he wants a sunroof. There isn't "one true way" to get a musclecar. I had a sunroof in my SRT8 and LOVED it. I was INCREDIBLY bummed when I ordered my Hellcat with a sunroof, only to have Dodge remove it from the order.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why even introduce the sunroof this late in a model year if you can't even add it to an order? Just to p!ss people off?

Can't even blame launch at this pount for all the issues. Blame it on poor planning, relying on outside vendors, no communication and horrible scheduling.

If they have the parts and are building them..then who is getting them? Secret lottery? Favors?

7. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I too have one in a SRT8. Love my sunroof....it lets light in even if the thing isn't open. I figured they would never put one in the Hellcat, and after all the issues with people that ordered black hoods, Brass Monkey wheels - I decided to order mine without all the frills...Jazz Blue, A8, Nav...now Summer tires. So what happened? They ran out of automatic transmissions!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    now a convertible would be nice .

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with the statement about the miscommunication and unprofessional manner in which the launch of the HellCat has been (mis)managed. The entire fiasco has left , "a bad taste in my mouth", so to speak, even though I am one of the lucky ones that got their HellCat back in December. My irritation/frustration/disappointment was not over the sunroof, but over the B5 Blue issue. I tried to order Dante in B5 and was told that FCA had deleted that color choice completely for 2015 (miscommunication between FCA and the dealership), not that it was being added as a late color choice, else I would have waited and gotten what I truly wanted. Even now, 6.5 months later, every time I look at Dante I feel a little pissed off knowing that I could have gotten the color I wanted, not the color that I settled for and am not happy with. So, I can understand/sympathize with the rant over the sunroof.

April

10. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    B5 is a great color....But I wouldn't find it too hard to "settle" for Redline though! ;-)

11. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

You know, before I even finished the first sentence of his rant, I was thinking this very same thing and was going to post the very same thing. LOL
    I don't get "sunroofs" at all anyway. I have had them in some cars of mine and I almost NEVER opened them.
    The wind just blowing around on the top of your head is not good for me. Even opening the slide just to have the light come in often results in the sun beating down on the top of your head. If you are tall, it usually cuts 1-2 inches of head room out of the car for you too.

And it's the absolute WORST place to add 40-80 lbs of weight (depending on the size of the sunroof).
    It worsens acceleration, braking, handling and even gas mileage.

Why would anyone want that in a performance/muscle car?

To me, it's FAR more of a foul that they didn't offer optional staggered wheels with 315/35/20 rear tires. Now THAT's an option on these types of cars that should be offered and is worth a rant over. Had they have done that I could of saved a few grand in not having to order aftermarket wheels and tires for this level of power.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why do people have to force their opinions on others on this forum? If somebody wants a sunroof in their 60K+ car, why question their choice? It's not your car and you don't have to drive it.

They could put 2 in and shag carpeting for all I care. People on here need to chill with "my way or you're wrong" BS on here. If somebody wants a sunroof good for them. Enjoy the sunroof.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I don't think anybody has stated "you are wrong." But people do have the right to respond in a differing or dissenting opinion, you know that right? Not everyone has to respond, "you know, that upsets me too, I wish they offered a sunroof."

That's way too left way of thinking....If someone says something that differs from their point of view, attack them for it, call them a name, call it BS and then tell them they don't have the right to speak with a point of view that differs from their own.
    See the irony/hypocrisy in that?

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry you can't get one, but had one on my '12 and I don't miss it a bit on the Hellcat. There is just too much other good stuff in the car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No.

OP: I want a sunroof and it's not available to add. Discuss.

Sunroofs suck. I would never get one. Muscle cars shouldn't have sunroofs. They add weight. I hate the sun shining in.

Which were on topic or talking about adding a sunroof to an order?

Which were BS responses that were opinions that the OP should change his mind towards getting a sunroof because he was given reasons why others think they suck?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1