How do i get best 0-60 time?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by mnext02, Sep 14, 2015.

1. mnext02

mnext02 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    so I tried a couple times yesterday and only did 4.5
    I have an auto.
    any tips?
    should I use launch? how do you use launch, I don't even know. dumb I know.
    should I change some settings?
    thanks for any advice

2. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Gently roll onto the throttle till you hit around 3k rpm, then nail it.

3. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if your getting 4.5 then all your doing is just flooring it

sport TC
    Street Suspension
    Track Transmission

ease down the peddle....it shouldnt be floored until it shifts into 3rd

i can get 3.6-3.7 at will after the tires warm up just a bit....3.5 is my best on the street.....i have nitto's

ive never gotten worse than 4.1......im guessing you never had a fast car before.....and you dont know about easing into the throttle

i can get 3.6 with TC on and my whole family in the car....TC off gives a slight advantage 0-60(car still stays straight for me)

dont think launch control is really designed for an automatic...ive never heard of anyone using it

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Practice.

5. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if you do it right you feel it in your stomach......i can feel the difference between a 3.8 and a 3.6...somewhere in there the G-forces make my stomach go whoopeee.....3.8 and above makes my stomach yawn

6. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I tried Launch Control! Once. It sucked, supplied enough power to smoothly burn 'em off. Must be part of the do not hop option I still have to find in the manual. Add that to another option we did not know we had.

I agree with the guys above, you need to practice your connection with traction. Easy in 1st and 2nd, as it climbs in 2nd be careful the torque is crazy, closer you are to WOT right there is the difference between 3.5 sec and 4.2 seconds, but as it clicks 3rd, you want to be on the floor.

So I know we all say get rid of TC. But, since you are having a problem with traction, do not turn it off until you get better. Try track traction, try default, that little extra gremlin my help. Also don't try on a slick asphalt, find good concrete that is clean to use.

Oh and if you come off the line with any excessive spin, just stop the event, you are screwed, compose, reset and try again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think it also has alot to do with the type of streets you have in your area. Some are better/worse than others for traction. Skill and practice have alot to do with it as well. In the Dallas area, we have a little of every type of pavement, but it's mostly concrete. Older, clean concrete with fine texture (most of the new stuff has small ridges) is what you want around here.

I'm not sure what's keeping me so slow, but it's probably a combination of those things. My best to 60 with the factor summer tires was 4.1. With Nitto 555R's, I've only tried 3-4 times so far (just got them), but I've only been able to do 3.8.

It'll be interesting to see what 0-60 times I can do at the track. Hopefully I'll try it when the weather cools off in the next month or so.

8. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i do much worse on the track...4.0......i find more traction on the street(with DR's)

i can do 3.6 w/ tc on or off on the street.......on the 1/4 mile tc off dropped my times by .2 tenths.....while keeping the same 0-60 (4.0)

another thing to try is to go to the top of a very large hill....drive straight down it....almost guaranteed into the 3 second range.....

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    haha

I bet I can do better with the help of gravity. Haven't tried that.

10. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Huggy, you have drag radials dont you? 305/35-20's in the 555r, right? if so, your technique is not going to help anyone with stock tires break into the 3.6 range. besides rolling into the throttle, the reason your times are so good is because of your tires. how do i know? Ive driven fast cars all my life. My cuda is stupid fast and Ive had that since 1986. Too much pedal and you spin. Rolling into the throtle is good advice but unless you have good sticky tires theres hardly no way to get under 4 seconds because the tires will break loose. (ya going down hill helps but thats cheating)

The best trick is to get better tires. How do I know? Because I opted for the three season tires knowing I would be replacing them soon. I have have a set of 305 nitto 555r's waiting to be mounted so Ive been plating with my P-Zerotraction all season tires. And yes I roll into it. And yes I know what to do. And any acceleration just a smidgen too much breaks the tires loose and I dont care what speed im at- they will break loose at 20mph, at 30mph, at 40 mph. shiit ive spun them at 50 mph. I cand drive down the road in Drive and just stomp on it at 50 mph and it gets sideways.

The best time I can manage on asphalt or the crappy chipped gravel roads they have out here is 4.0. and Ive tried many many times. Rolling into it and trying to keep it on the the edge of spinning is what I do but just a little too much pedal and its spin city -worst than a fox news broadcast. the car has way too much power for the all seasons. the summer tires are marginally better.

I plan on getting my drag radials installed soon but until then, no one can expect to anywhere near 3.5 with the all seasons (or probably the summer tires as well) because they just dont stick

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Honest and useful. Only coming up on 300 miles, haven't tried to any of this. Question; with the 300 to 500 break in - says to use the full range of rpm in each heat manually shifting. are they suggesting slowly or am I now beginning to put the car through its paces with a lot of gas?

12. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My best with the factory summer tires was only 4.1, so I have to agree. When I tried Cooper RS3-S (summer) tires in 305s, I could barely muster a 4.7. Now that I have DR's (555R's in 275), I can do 3.8 all day, but it's difficult to do any better. I realize some of that is practice and skill, but it's all very dependent on the surface you have to work with.

Something else to consider: Contact patches are not necessarily created equal. From what I've read, a wider patch is better for handling, while a longer patch is better for acceleration forces. For that reason, I'm thinking the 275s probably grip as well as the 305s. The 305s have a wider, but shorter patch. Going by dimensions of the tire alone, the length of the patch is only very slightly shorter with the 305s, but it also shrinks when you spread the load across the wider tire, since it doesn't flatten as much as the 275. This is why I went back to 275s when I got my DR's.

13. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i never beat on my car before i had 500 miles on it....and i put my dr's on at 500 miles. so i have no idea how id do with stock tires...i got 4.30 out of my 2011 392 A5 with stock GY RSA's ...i got 4.5 range at will with that 392....if your barely getting 4.5 with your hc even with stock tires i think your doing something really wrong....6 cylinder mustangs are going to be able to beat you!!!(kidding).....if you want to go fast in a straight line dr's are a must.......

Dodge says 3.7 0-60 with stock tires.....

i cant get under 4.0 with my GT500 and i have Dr's on it too......that car is supposed to be 3.5 stock tires....so i know the pain at sucking at 0-60's too....i cant launch a manual worth a crap.....

i was parked next to StallasHC's new HC last saturday and looked at the tires....amazing the difference between 275's and 305 dr's from the back view.....those 275's are a joke for such a high hp car....

14. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's funny that Mother Mopar says they couldn't fit anthing bigger in the wheelwells. Right. They could've easily gone with 305s and 315s if they put any effort into it at all. Oh well, thanks for letting me get my gripes out for the day.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well like I suspected, tires make all the difference. I just put on nittos 555rs and my 0-60 time dropped from 4.0 to 3.7 in two tries.

• Like Like x 2