How do you check the Automatic trans fluid

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by RussLansky, Apr 10, 2016.

1. RussLansky

RussLansky SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok I am a formally ASE certified master tech (27 years ago) and I read the owners manual and I looked under the hood and I admit I have no idea how to check the auto tranny fluid on my 2016 Challenger hellcat? I don't even see it on the maintenance schedule in the owners manual for checking it or changing it. What has changed in these cars? Does the fluid last forever? does the trans never ever leak? Or am I just and idiot? I suspect the later, please inform me how to check the fluid.

• Like Like x 1
  2. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You don't. It's a sealed transmission and it never needs to be checked.... My 2013 Chrysler 300 was the same way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. WNY Cat

WNY Cat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A while back, somebody posted the instructions on how to change the transmission oil and filter. From what I remember, it was similar to filling the rear differential. Make sure the car is level, fill until it flows out the fill hole and put the plug in. I don't think it can be checked easily. You would have to take the fill plug out and try to add more fluid. If it overflows right away, it was full.

4. RussLansky

RussLansky SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks just got the car no problems but I was just looking it over and wondering about future maintenance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 66CHARGER 318

66CHARGER 318 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes you can check a sealed transmission under the oil pan there is there is a drain bolt to drain and change fluid it does not last forever how ever to check there is another bolt up higher on the pan to check the level of you open it up and fluid pour out the level is good ( only a little will come out) you can also catch some in a glass to do a examination the fill up is usually down low in the engine bay but not sure wear on a cat

6. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    from FSM:

1- Raise and support the vehicle on a level hoist.
    2- Start the engine. The engine must continue to run for the entire test.
    3- Using a scan tool or the vehicle information center, verify that the transmission fluid temperature is below 30°C (86°F).
    4- Remove the transmission fill plug from the right rear of the transmission case.
    5- Add transmission fluid (P/N 68218925AA) until it trickles from the fill opening.
    6- Install the transmission fill plug and tighten to the proper torque specification (26 ft.lbs.).
    7- Lower the vehicle for access to inside of the vehicle, leaving the tires at least 8 inches off the ground.
    8- With the brakes applied, place the transmission in Reverse and hold for 5 seconds.
    9- Place the transmission in Drive and hold for 5 seconds.
    10- Release the brakes, slowly accelerate to 2nd gear and hold for 5 seconds.
    11- Apply the brakes and place the transmission in Neutral.
    12- Raise the engine speed to 2000 RPM for 5 seconds.
    13- Return the engine to idle and place the transmission in Park.
    NOTE: A full transmission will have fluid at the fill hole with the transmission between 30°C (86°F) and 50°C (122°F). Do not over fill.
    14- Remove the transmission fill plug and allow excess fluid to drain from fill hole or add fluid as necessary.
    15- Install the transmission fill plug and tighten to the proper torque specification (26 ft.lbs.).
    16- Using a scan tool, clear any DTCs.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mdmoore23

mdmoore23 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No need to check the trans fluid on most modern day cars.

8. Jungle Cat

Jungle Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My 2010 F150 same thing. Most cars are going the route of no dipstick for Trans I think.

9. DB2

DB2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Funky chkin nailed it.

I drained mine at 1500 miles i think, and im doin a filter & fluid change now at 7000 miles....i know.....im an idiot.....

I work on Eurocars for a living & they have used ZF tranny's forever & NONE of them will last a lifetime. The fluid is pricey but oh well, so is a tranny.

• Like Like x 1
  10. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Don't think you're an idiot but what's the reason for the early changes?

11. DB2

DB2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just anal about fluids, i see the ill effects of them all day on cars & to me its cheap insurance. I run the balls of mine too. I logged 70 plus 1/4 mile runs last year.

I did the trans fluid & filter tonight. The filter has 2 magnets impregnated on the bottom of it. Each one had about an 1/8th inch of schmuck on them. Break in metal, clutch material, etc. Nothing major but i like to expel the "inaugural" oil from things, and the filter kit was less than 100 bucks. I get the fluid for 25 per qt.....takes just over 5. Bottom of the pan was clean as expected.
    I will probably do it again in 10 or 15K

• Like Like x 1
  12. DB2

DB2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oh BTW.........there is a PDF in the wiki on a filter change that says the pan bolts torque to 89 inch pounds/10 Nm.....bullshit...

These bolts are aluminum & the filter kit comes with new ones, they will break at that spec......dont ask me how i know!

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. DB2

DB2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Pics of filter shwag. 6700 miles. This outta get Tallcool1's brain spinning....LOL... i dont consider this alarming at all. I have seen magnets that look like Don Kings hair many times, thats when i worry. To me this is a good sign to get the original oil & filter changed out. There was not one shred of slime or residue in the pan, these magnets are doing just as designed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    DB2 LoL brother:D good too see em built in. I'm pretty much following your lead here on my 2016. Rear end I do 500 normally except swapping back to the 3.09 from the 15 car instead.

Where'd you score the pan / filter etc thanks

15. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    (And you mean just spin faster ;))