How I become a Hellcat addict & question about insurance

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by rgigowski, Jul 10, 2015.

1. rgigowski

rgigowski SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I live in the Dallas area and the is a HVAC company that did a give back to the community promo by giving away a 2015 Challenger Hellcat. Basically you had to participate in the promotion by following Facebook, Twitter and local events for game codes and scratch-off cards.

They were giving away 11 finalist spots and each finalist had a chance to start the Hellcat. Only 9 spots were claimed and yours truly managed to have two of those.

I started playing in February when my wife was in the hospital recovering from an infection from a surgery in December. We were there the entire month and I didn't have much to do but play the game. Obviously, with two shots at the car, I nailed the game.

You may have seen it, Richard Rawlings of Gas Monkey Garage fame was part of the promo: A 1 Air Hellcat Grand Prize Winner Richard Rawlings Gas Monkey Garage - YouTube

I am the guy with the yellow shirt on in the beginning of the video (with my wife and I was so happy she was well enough to attend with me), and I am the the 2nd one in the car with two monkeys, one for each chance I had. The monkey had a box attached to it which either contained the key fob or some other item. We randomly picked the monkeys and were not allowed to open the box.

Anyways, if you watch the video you will see I was not fortunate enough to walk away with the Hellcat. The guy that won it, was deserving of it. He has a medical issue and I don't think he works because of it. I spoke to him yesterday and he sold the Hellcat, took the money and bought a house. Huge success story for he and his wife. Young couple. What surprised me was what he was quoted for insurance, $300 per month! Ughly for sure.

I have a Ford Lightning and I am in my EARLY 60's so I am not that worried about the cost of insurance. But, I just thought I would ask and see what some of y'all are paying?

Oh, nearly forgot to add this... since I became so close to winning the car I have set a business goal for myself and when I meet that goal, I am ordering a Charger HC. Crazy sick car. Target date for ordering is late this year/early 2016. Hopefully the excitement will calm down by then and I can find one they way I want it or I will order it. Fortunately, my brother is a retired general manager for a Dodge dealership. That may or may not help!

If ya can, post up your insurance cost. If not, no big deal.

2. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If I park my Magnum and just add the Charger HC my insurance will go up $37 per month and I will be paying under $200 to fully cover 3 vehicles and 1 parked. If I add the HC and don't park the Magnum it will go up by $72 dollars. I am with Allstate. The 4 doors help a lot to keep the costs down. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Link

Link Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am paying around $1900/yr, I am also in my early 60's. Of course prices change with location. Good luck, you will love it once you get it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rgigowski

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For my Lightning, it's dirt cheap. It may be because it's a truck but I do know of insurance carriers tha won't cover Lightnings too.

My other car is a Ford Edge with high performance wheels covers (that's a joke)... for the two I am paying around $1,000 a year with coverage for business travel.

5. cjohn7

cjohn7 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    insurance cost really depends on location, and of course your driving history.
    I have heard some crazy insurance costs for the Hellcat out there.
    For me, located in GA, I just turned 40, married, have 3 cars, 1 motorcycle and homeowners all through the same insurance company.
    My total cost of vehicle insurance (full coverage) for the 3 cars and motorcycle is under $182 per month.

EDIT: sorry, I forgot to mention that yes one of the cars is the Challenger Hellcat

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sublimecat

Sublimecat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    State Farm, full coverage, $500k limits, $500 deductible, Ohio. 52 years old. House and 5 other cars insured for 35 years.

$72/month when I drive it
    $17/month during storage (winter)

A lot has to do with the state you live in.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  7. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am so sorry to read that you did not win the hellCat ... so close, but yet so far! It sounds like it was a lot of fun, though, and best of all, your wife is out of the hospital and doing well!

I have State Farm, been with them forever. Full coverage with $500 deductible, uninsured/under insured motorist add on, towing and rental, I am female, 48, live in Georgia, married, clean driving record, no teenagers, they insure 3 vehicles for our household. The policy went up $160 a year from what I was paying on my 2013 Challenger 392.

April

• Like Like x 1
  8. rgigowski

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    April... I gotta tell ya, I was bummed about not winning the car. So many people including owners of the HVAC company thought I had it with two shots at it. Now, in close circles, I am known as a two time loser!

I prefer to think of it as a two time winner that just missed the grand prize. I actually had a brief period of depression which was a first for me.

Not too impressed with Richard Rawlings however Aaron Kaufman is the real deal. Spent time with both and Aaron was the kind of person you'd pick for a friend.

If you watched the video you saw Richard say he doesn't have a Hellcat. When he handed me my two monkeys, he looked at me and told me he could win this too if he wanted but already had three and didn't need one. Celebrities and politicians are closely related. Although it was pretty cool when Richard lined up about 30 shot glasses and filled them with his Gas Monkey Tequila for everyone.

My wife is slowly getting better and I appreciate the thought. Unfortunately, there is still a long road ahead.

Looking forward to meeting my goals and getting it ordered.

(just edited this thing... amazing how many errors I made when using my phone instead of my PC).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  9. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    950 six months 500 deduct State Farm that has everything I own and PLUP

10. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    mine is cheap but I have several other cars, its listed as pleasure only and then I remove the insurance for winter storage ( liability part) so depending on the length of storage can be 600-800 per year.

11. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Regular ole default full coverage through USAA and I'm at 110 a month. 35yrs old, no tickets or accidents in the last 8 years, good credit, multi-vehicle discount.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cannot help you with insurance but I also run a Lightning as a daily driver. Good choice of weapon :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hard to talk cost without coverage limits. Hopefully people are taking at least $300,000 to $500,000 single limit and adding an umbrella. Driving any car risks your life savings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine is less than $1,000/yr. You are older than me and may get it cheaper. I carry an umbrella liability policy for A-LOT! When all your friends remark about nearly able to be certified as crazy, it is a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the org and good luck with getting into a HC of your own!

I'm 38, married...live im NC and the HC is our 5th vehicle. Full coverage, above state minimum coverage with $1k deductibles. We were paying $200 per month for 4 vehicles....(listed in my sig). Insurance is going up by $450 every six months.

My drivinv record may have something to do with that...:D