How is it legal to advertise MSRP and then ask for ADM?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by 10dot3, May 1, 2016.

1. 10dot3

10dot3 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    There are several dealerships who are currently advertising Hellcats at MSRP on Cars and AutoTrader. For example, on AutoTrader it will show $69,235 in green and also the MSRP as $69,235 in black. When I email the dealership, they tell me there is some outlandish mark up above MSRP. Why isn't this considered false advertising?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Supply and demand...been happening sadly since day 1 of the Hellcat being released for sale. It doesn't look to be ending anytime soon...people are shelling out the ADM's to get one...and as long as people still do that, there will be an ADM. There are many available at MSRP...they get posted on here a lot. Sometimes it is cheaper to get it at MSRP out of state, and just have it shipped to you. Good luck and happy shopping! At this point, I would say that you should not need to pay over MSRP if you're willing to search hard enough.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 10dot3

10dot3 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you for the reply, goingsolo2. I was curious to the legality of advertising one price and in actuality charging a much higher one. That doesn't seem legal to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 1BDHCAT

1BDHCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I bought mine last year out of state! My local dealer wanted 30 over. :eek: Its sad because he gets it. :(He has sold over a dozen at 20 over minimum. I guess I just don't have that kind of money!

5. 1BDHCAT

1BDHCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with you! It should be illegal! It must not be because they all do it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Unfortunately they can...I don't believe there is any law against it. FCA had once said they were going to crack down on it, but I haven't read much of anything demonstrating that. The best advertisement is having the cars on the road, not sitting in lots...so they basically let dealers do what they want if they're selling cars. At once point they were limiting allocations, but I personally know if at least 3 local dealers all currently with ADM's on Hellcats, and they're selling and getting new ones on the lot.

I paid 2,000 over MSRP when they first came out...I shopped and shopped and had a few connections, so for me paying 2,000 over was a win when everyone else was paying 7-20,000 over at the time when they were super hot. If I would have found one out of state at the time at MSRP, which I couldn't, shipping it would have cost about 2,000 anyways, so for me it was the best deal at that time. It was incredibly hard to get one at that time as well...my dealer had a wait list at almost 80.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    There is a sucker born every minute.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jontall

Jontall Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are a lot of Hellcats just sitting on dealer's lots at MSRP and some will even sell below MSRP to move the car out, so shop around. Never pay an ADM to any dealer for a Hellcat.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jkviper

jkviper Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It actually states on page two of the Window sticker that "Dealers are independent and are free to set their own prices". The MSRP is only the suggested retail price. Most of the time the buyer pays less, very rarely does demand outweigh supply and cars are sold at MSRP or more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was told that FCA automatically lists those vehicles as soon as theres a vin and a dealer assigned to that vin. They list the vehicle and the msrp a lot of times before the salees people even know. Apparently they can go in and make changes afterwards though. I've made many calls and had sales people unaware that they even had the cars on the way to them. Other times they had the cars, had upped the price, but not changed the ads from the FCA liistings. And yet other times the cars were sold. I just made it a habit to call and my first question was about adm fees lol. Straight to the point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Based on the numbers of Hellcats being listed out there now (last week over 1500+) compared to last year, there is no reason to pay MSRP. Multiple colors and configuration out there. Just takes a little work to find the right one.

No better help than self help!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. NoCoHC

NoCoHC Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't think the dealer board rules in Colorado allow them to advertise an artificially low price. Most of the dealers around here that are charging ADM are pretty upfront about it, which makes it easy to ignore them.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    the problem is MSRP stands for Manufacturer's "SUGGESTED" Retail Price. It ISNT the prince. Its what Chrysler SUGGESTS the price should be. Not what it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MattG

MattG Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    In case you have missed this post.

6 Hellcats plus 1 used Hellcat available no Markups

I hope there is one in there that is your color and options.
    don't hesitate to fly, drive there and take one home. Probably cheaper than paying the ADM

I drove to mine and loved the drive on the way home.

Matt

• Like Like x 3