How many Hellcats are they building per month?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Hugh Jorgan, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Hugh Jorgan

Hugh Jorgan Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    And how many orders do they have in? The numbers I've read (here) are 500 per month & 12,000 orders. If that is the case, only about 1/4 of the orders will be filled for 2015, which isn't very good odds.

Is there anyone here who does have real numbers and inside information that they'd care to share? Waiting in limbo is starting to get old.

2. dieselsc

dieselsc Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Last time I checked with RS, a few days ago, they were building just over 35 a day.

3. Hugh Jorgan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Thanks for the info. If the line is running 5 days per week, that makes 700 cars per month. If the run 7 days a week, that makes 1050 cars per month which is still not enough to fill 12,000 orders, assuming that number is real. Is anyone able to verify that?

Also, have they started spraying B5 blue yet?

4. scoutermike

scoutermike Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Line runs 6 days a week and into the near future.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not sure where you heard 12000 orders? As someone else mentioned, their building 35+ a day. Our "inside" guy, RS has said they have extended the 15 model year two months, thru September. Original build estimates were 50-60 per day. Hopefully will ramp up after the first.

6. Hugh Jorgan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I spoke with my sales dude last evening & it appears that Chrysler severely underestimated the demand for these cars. He told me that in 2013, Chrysler built about 5,000 total SRT branded vehicles (Jeeps, Chargers, Challengers, Vipers, etc.), and they registered about 7,000 Hellcat orders when the order banks opened in September. Given Ralph G's statements last summer where he talked about that there was only a small percentage of enthusiasts who wanted a car with such brute power, you can see how badly demand was underestimated. My guess is that they probably anticipated only a thousand or so orders and as such they contracted to make only so many parts. When they actually realized the real demand for this one vehicle outweighed total SRT production, they probably had an "oh shit" moment, which may explain why the order banks were a month late to open. Of course, this is just me speculating, but I bet that I'm not far off the mark.

This allocation business is another flaw-in-the-slaw. He told me that initially, high volume Viper & SRT dealers would be given order preference and some dealers, such as mine, were led to believe that they could order as many as they want. Then they change the rules to this allocation system which puts orders like mine in doubt. He also stated that because of slow production, the order banks for the Hellcat Charger will remain closed until further notice..

With all the cars that are for sale on places like cars.com, ebay & elsewhere, It appears that a these guarantees about building sold customer's cars first and Chrysler would be policing dealer gouging was just lip service.

So, it all comes down to math. 35 cars per day X 6 days per week = 840 cars per month. Supposedly, about a thousand have been built to date which means that they'd have to build them from now to the end of July to fill all 7,000 orders.

As for my order; at this time of year, "my" car would be just sitting in the garage anyway, so I'll sit tight for a while, but if I'm still in limbo by early March, I'm canceling the order. By spring, I would assume that the initial fever to have one of the first ones will calm down and dealers who haven't moved them will want to give up on their "adjusted market value" price gouging. If this happens, I'm confident that in time, I'll be able to find one I want at the price I'm willing to pay and within a reasonable driving distance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would agree with everything you said. I am in the same boat. Probably won't receive my build until late spring or summer. RS did announce in his thread that the model year has been extended through September, which would allow for a couple of thousand more HC's to be built. He also suggested a month ago that they were targeting 50 to 60 cars per day. Not sure now if they will achieve that.

:oops: Didn't realize I had posted above.

8. Hugh Jorgan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    With delays in Brass Monkey wheels, sunroofs, B5 blue paint, upgraded leather interiors & the satin black hoods, it is clear to see that they just weren't prepared to build what they were offering.

9. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with what has been said here. There are a few things I would like to add. On Dec 18, our trusted source RS posted "Getting close to 1500" Hellcats built so far. I have also read on this board and another one that people have placed orders in more than one dealership and are waiting to buy the first car that comes in. If that's just from people on the boards, there must be even more out there doing the same thing that we don't know about. So 7000 orders would mean fewer actual buyers. In addition, people are getting tired of waiting and not knowing what's going to happen and are canceling orders. So again, fewer actual buyers. As for the number of orders placed so far, well that's really anyone's guess as to the accuracy. I've read number from 4000 to 12,000. My question about number of cars ordered... If a dealer is sitting on a list of "buyers" but only places an order with Dodge as they get an allocation (say one per allocation window), does anyone really know how many orders are out there? Can a dealer place more orders into the system than they are allocated each cycle? I don't know how that all works. I think by the end of spring early summer we will see the frantic demand drop off, prices level out to MSRP no mark-up, and cars sitting on the lot waiting to be bought. At least that's my Christmas wish anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Texas Joe

Texas Joe Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a hard time believing Dodge didn't anticipate this type of response for orders. Gimme a break. "Fastest, most powerful muscle car ever" that is affordable to a large market and can go up against exotics?

11. ResumeSpeed

ResumeSpeed Platinum Member Agent 707

Donate to this user:
    Donate money to this user
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    He's way off. SRT built more than 14,000 vehicles for the 2013 model year (which included about 4,000 Challengers).

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    there arent 12,000 people who want to buy a Challenger HC....maybe HC's in total though

i think many of the orders are doubles,etc

i think a few hundred people are calling every dealership weekly

id be really surprised if they need to build 12,000 HC Challengers in 2015

6,000...yea....12,000....thats pretty far out there

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kevin M

Kevin M Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Totally agree with you huggytree.. Once this insanity wears off, things will settle down.. This might even be deliberately done by Chysler because it keeps the general interest at a high.. People/perspective buyers will say the heck with it and buy another model challenger.. Its pretty smart marketing on there part.

14. Texas Joe

Texas Joe Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm so ready for all the hype to die down and sold cars be delivered. As we speak, I am looking at ZL1s and Corvettes... And that simply comes from no solid answers from Dodge or their shady dealers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Kevin M

Kevin M Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Totally agree Texas Joe... I've found myself entertaining the thoughts of a ZL1 and Vette as well.. I think there really going to crank these babies out by sometime in Jan and Feb... In fact I'd be willing to bet that by this summer, you'll find them on lots here and there.. Ford and GM are coming, so they better capitalize on this hype and hysteria while it last..