How much effect does altitude have on the Hellcat?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Challengerfarmer, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Challengerfarmer

Challengerfarmer Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a PCP Hellcat on order. My question is, since it's supercharged, does altitude make as much difference as it does on a normally aspirated engine. I see where the Cats run upper 10's to low 11's. At what altitude were these times achieved? I live at 4000'. My 71 Challenger runs 11.7 on DOT drag radials with 91 gas. Wondering how the Hellcat will compare? I plan to find out come spring. Have a buddy run one while I run the other side by side. I'm guessing the Cat will win.

2. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good question, but I'm 100 yards from the atlantic at like 3'

3. Challengerfarmer

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hopefully someone will know or has run a Hellcat at higher elevations. My guess is that at the higher elevation where the air is thinner, there will be a little less total boost, so less HP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fionn MacCumhaill

Fionn MacCumhaill Irish A'Hole - Wanna Fight About It!? Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I live in Denver, CO. and my track (Bandimere) is at 5800 ft. above sea level; local racers here say that we lose a full second on the 1/4 mile compared to cars running at sea level. I think this is true, since my best run at Bandimere on street tires is a 12.1 @ 120mph, now take a second off that and I would be right there with Dodge's numbers of 11.2 on street tires at sea level. I have also noticed the boost levels I see on the perf. gauge typically only climbs to 8 psi and maxes out at 10 psi (not 11) which is what guys at sea level are saying their boost level maxes at.

Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ray Hunsaker

Ray Hunsaker Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I live at 4500 ft I get 9 lbs max boost car runs strong I can only imagine what this beast feels like at sea level.

6. Cerino2000

Cerino2000 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lived in denver for three years. Not motorhead friendly. People just can't imagine the difference thin air makes.

7. Challengerfarmer

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's what I was guessing but somehow hoped I'd be wrong since it's supercharged. Thanks for posting your times at Bandimere. I'm only 45 minutes from Julesburg (3600') so that's where I've run a few times with my 71. Right out of High school (many years ago) I ran my 70 T/A at Julesburg a few times, with the little 340 6 pak. It would consistently run 14.20's. Took it to Kearney Ne. once, which is around 2200' and ran 13.80's. Felt like a whole different car. So I'm guessing if you ran 12.1 @ 120 mph on street tires at Bandimere, when I get my Hellcat and run it against my 71 Challenger that does 11.7 @ 116 mph on DOT drag radials, at Julesburg, the Hellcat should spank the 71 . Will probably come down to how good a guy can get the Hellcat to hook. Guessing you have to baby the Cat out of the hole so you don't go up in smoke.
    One other question/thought, since we drive ( me not yet but soon!) these cars at higher elevations, could we go with a tad smaller blower pulley (if there is such a thing) to get an extra pound or two of boost?

8. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    altitude makes a diff--but carb cars are more affected than injected cars with MAF sensors..

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Satanscat

Satanscat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As already stated, elevation affects S/C cars, tho the extent is not as severe as naturally aspirated cars.

In this case S/C and Turbochargers are significantly different.

The S/C is driven at a fixed rate with respect to the engine RPM. X engine RPM will spin the S/C X RPM. There is a direct correlation. Thus the statement above where at higher elevations the amount of boost goes down. I live at 4300' and regularly commute to 5200'. When I take my S/C cars and go to lower elevation (example Detroit for the Woodward Dream Cruise) my cars become absolute BEASTS compared to here at home. I generally see a pound or two more boost.

Now a Turbo is not driven at a fixed rate. The Turbo will spool and continue to build boost until the waste gate activates at its designed preset boost level. So while it might take a little bit longer for the turbo to build it, it will build it until the waste gate opens. I see the same boost levels at higher elevations that I see at the lower ones.

One advantage to the higher elevation locales... many of them do not require smog inspection. So one can lighten their cars by removing the catalytic convertors for example.

10. stanssrt10x2

stanssrt10x2 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    im in denver also with drag radials my best is 11.7 also took cat through nebraska an kansas an the car runs totally different.I envy you guys at lower elevation.

11. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My best with an A8 with slicks elevation around 4,000 i ran 11.16 elevation plays a role for sure. A couple 10ths. Stella ran in the 10s with an A8 and he was a couple thousand feet lower than me.

12. Challengerfarmer

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

13. Challengerfarmer

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I live in western Ne. Ya I envy the guys who live in Eastern Ne. Not so much you guys in Colorado, but you do have beautiful mountains. Higher elevations yet! Awesome time by the way for Bandimeres.

14. Challengerfarmer

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Incredible times for a factory car! Not to many years ago, you had to have a full blown non street able race car to run in the 10's. I've been a Mopar guy my entire life. Have always loved the Challenger/Cuda e bodies. Still own two of them. Was thrilled when Dodge come out with the Challenger again in 08. Bought an 09 SRT but was always a little disappointed in the power. Traded for a 13 SRT which was better but still not quite enough. FINALLY, Dodge stepped up their game and came out with the most powerful muscle car ever built, and with a full factory warrantee. Hats off to the Dodge boys for being the leader in the horsepower war once again!

15. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I live at 2200 ft and have never seen over 10psi. My Shelby was rated @15psi but I never saw over 14. Took a trip to San Diego and got the full 15