How much faster is Charger A8 vs. Challenger M6?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by GoodCaptain, Apr 3, 2016.

1. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So here's what I've been told....

1) Charger is typically faster than the Challenger at high speed due to the aerodynamics.
    2) Slight differences in suspension allow the Charger to launch slightly better.
    3) M6 transmission gearing limits acceleration to a slower climb at high speeds vs. A8.
    4) M6 can't match 160ms shifts of the A8.

#3 is of interest to me. I plan to explore the top end of the Charger on a private road. My friend has the M6 and I've seen videos of high speed runs and the M6 seems to really fight for speed after 160 MPH, while the A8 pulls faster to 180 and up. I've been told the M6 top gear is the limiting factor. Is this true?

Obviously the speed difference between ALL Hellcats is very small, negligible in the real world. You get the M6 because you dig the traditional tranny and you get the A8 because you love the tech. But I'm looking at the quantifiable speed differences outside of practical usage.

Robert

2. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    on the track the difference is .7 to 1.0 seconds

the biggest factor is most people cant launch a stick (me included)....if its a pro driver vs a pro driver they would be .7 apart or so on the 1/4 mile track.....in the real world with crappy drivers (like ME!) the race is more like a 2 second+ difference....ive seen guys get mid 14's with their M6's

everytime ive raced a M6 they are typically in my rear view mirror almost instantly....the one time i had a horrible launch and a M6 was ahead of me---it took about 1/2 the track to catch back up and i finished about a car length ahead of him...i pulled on him the whole race from about 2-3 car lengths behind off the line

if having the faster car is what matters to you there is no doubt a A8 will beat a M6 with equal drivers.......if your a crappy driver you will totally mop the floor if you have a A8 and the other driver is equally crappy with a M6...the A8 makes a crappy driver look good....the M6 makes a crappy driver a crappy driver

every M6 ive ever seen race has been in the 12's and low 13's...i know StellasHc got down to 11.6 before he broke his car....and ive heard someone has gotten lower....but if your a blah driver you can expect 12's while A8's are getting low 11's and high 10's...........every driver is different and every track is different (so im told)....so others experiences may be different than mine..ive watched about 6 M6 HC's...maybe as many as 8....all were 12's or higher...best run may have been a 12.3 that ive witnessed

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A8 shifts so fast it's stupid. Can't shift the m6 that fast. Bar none A8 is faster. Sticky tires and driveshaft necessary for M6 to really hook and book

Have a good day Robert

• Like Like x 1
  4. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks...anyone know anything about top gear acceleration in the M6???

I know most folks won't push our cars to those speeds, but at 180 mph+ how is the power delivery different in the M6 vs. A8??

Robert

5. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I haven't pushed my cat yet because it has 150 miles. Highway driving at 55 got rpms up and it takes off like a rocket

6. LaserDoc

LaserDoc Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In the standing mile, only a few mph separated the A8 and the M6. These were organized events.

7. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Charger has a lower coefficient of drag (0.335 vs 0.38) and more loaded weight per tire in the rear (approximately 50lbs) than Challenger. Given the same tires at same pressure in the rear, the extra weight per tire of the Charger creates more force than the Challenger rear.

Skid pad tests show the Charger sticks better than the Challenger; 0.94 vs 0.92g.

You can increase the contact patch of a Challenger's rear tires by lowering the stock tire pressure to 28-30 psi to give it the same contact patch size as a 305/35/20 at 32psi. This increases your chances of connecting with the road, however, doesn't guarantee better grip.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  8. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yup, the Charger is slippery...and it can stick.

The Charger essentially outhandles the M5.

I love it when people say the Hellcat is a brick, yet those same people will talk about an M5 like it's light-as-a-feather nimble. Usually folks have not driven either.

Robert

9. SrtHellcat

SrtHellcat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Imo if dodge never went w the 8spd auto then the 6 spd would be better...

10. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    High end speeds there is a difference for sure. With my m6 i only did about 150...155 but with the A8 it got to 171 real quick.