How Much Weight Savings w/o Sunroof?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Ohthatguy, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Ohthatguy

Ohthatguy Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Usually the sunroof adds weight, and at the worst part for handling, up high. Anybody know how much weight is saved on an HC Challenger when you skip the sunroof?

2. Jontall

Jontall Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't know the weight, but the body will be a lot stiffer without it.

3. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What's your basis for that statement? Not asking as a confrontal question, just curious. Normally an OEM sunroof is engineered to be more structurally sound to limit the flexing and ensure the sealing of the sunroof. If you've every pulled a headliner in a Challenger, you'll see a pretty impressive bracing system notwithstanding the tracks and frame of the sunroof itself. Now will that same setup be better or worse in an accident, well I think it would be worse as the glass will likely pop out or shatter and you have an exposed hole above your head to deal with. Not that thin body panel would stop much, but it's not glass. Weight wise, no clue.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Challengerfarmer

Challengerfarmer Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's a good question. Hopefully someone knows the answer.

5. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I was told (by someone at SRT) that the sunroof adds roughly 70 lbs to the weight of the car. My reasons for not wanting a sunroof on my 2015 SRT 392 extended to the Hellcat I ordered (though I think that the option wasn't available on my order anyway).

1) Sunroof limits headroom and feels a bit close for taller drivers. At 6'3 I could not wear a helmet with the sunroof.

2) There's a hole in the roof. Bracing or not, I prefer the integrity of a structure without a big hole in it.

3) The sunroof makes the interior louder and make obvious noise at very high speeds.

4) Roof line looks cleaner without the sunroof.

5) Adds weight - as above. Weight comes from the sunroof parts and added bracing required.

6) In the horrible event of a roll-over, the sunroof is less safe.

When I want fresh air I'll drop the top and pull the doors off my Wrangler!

Cheers,

Robert

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SRT HC

SRT HC BANNED

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I had heard that a sun roof (rain roof) added 80lbs to an LX platform

7. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Guy on another forum weighed all the OEM sunroof stuff out of a 2014 Challenger...

11 lbs for the glass
    14 lbs for the frame, support, motor system and drain tube

Only thing you have to add is some slight reinforcements around the opening and that is it, plus deduct for the skin cut away which is next to nothing so this entire sunroof option looks to be about 30 lbs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Hammer Down

Hammer Down Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is an odd topic to me. Either you like them or not. Pretty simple. But people like to list reasons.
    So someone will say it adds 80lbs to the car. Ok. So you're trying to save weight. Why? Racing? Ok. They say 100lbs/10th of a sec., right? So you said no to sunroof for a tenth?
    Even with a sunroof they have to follow safety guidelines. Roof is strong. Worried about a window? Not afraid of the other ones?
    Need proof sunroof cars are less safe in a rollover.
    I experience no excessive noise due to sunroof. Last four cars have had them.
    I am 6'3" and I fit just fine in my car. Plenty of room. I will say I have not worn a helmet in it, though. So I cannot speak to that.
    This subject always kind of bugged me. Not really sure why, exactly. I could not possibly worry about shaving all the weight I could off my car until i, myself, shaved all the weight I could off me. Even then I bought my car for street driving 99% of the time. I wasn't going to buy it for the 1% of the time it might see the track.
    Just one happy sunroof owner's opinion. To each his own. Just enjoy the cars.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. SRT HC

SRT HC BANNED

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That sounds more reasonable than the 80lbs that I had heard

10. Jontall

Jontall Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dodge will not let you order a 2016 Charger Hellcat with a sunroof any more because of flexing. 2016 Charger Hellcat Sun Roof Option

11. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Certainly, they clearly have an engineering issue. Challengers did not have them in 2015 because there were issues at high speeds. I can't confirm that as the real reason, but SRT Challengers were been built with them. The OP was referring to Challengers and there haven't been any additional reported issues that I'm aware of.

12. GoodCaptain

GoodCaptain Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat

I like sunroofs, but I think the Hellcat is better without. For a car with over 700 HP, I do want all the structural integrity possible. I do want to be able to wear helmet and I don't want the weight, especially at the TOP of the car.
    One more little note: When I brought my 2015 SRT 392 Charger in to trade for the Hellcat, the dealer said I had ordered the car "right" without the sunroof. I'd heard this had car shows as well, that ordering without the sunroof is the way to go.
    Do I think it makes a difference to most people? Nope. Buy what makes you happy and if you must have a sunroof, get one and don't look back. It was never an option for my Charger Hellcat...that I am waiting for. 8-12 weeks to go according to SRT.

You make a good point about weight and I've managed to drop from 262 to 225. Just 25 lbs to go and I will shed it before the car comes!

Robert

• Like Like x 2
  13. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    doubt it will matter I believe I heard the full deal was just under 44 lbs. ( everything right down to the wires).

the cat is a heavy car and there are so many heavy parts in the car its a "muscle car" not a "race car" or "sport car". Has great ride, very fast, good handling, If you are going to turn it into a race car then skip it. but if you are going to enjoy it like most of us do with the occasional trips to the track get a hole in the roof.

14. Hammer Down

Hammer Down Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Haha. We're in the same weight boat. Well, ok ok I've got you beat. But its coming off here too.
    My car was sitting in the showroom. It was exactly as I would have built it, minus the black hood. I took care of that. If it did not have a sunroof, I still would have bought it. It is not a deal breaker to me, and as I said I'm used to them now. I won't have it open at high speed, because that can cause head liner problems. And I will close it if the sun is beating right down on me at the right angle. But other than that I love the extra air flow coming in on a nice day.
    On a side note, I don't think any dealer in their right mind would tell you that you ordered your car wrong, to be fair. He would have to be a moron.
    I do sometimes get a kick out of a guy who gets out of his car at the track. Car has no passenger or backseat. Door panels are gone. Has a tiny gas tank. Skinnies on the front. Car is gutted and the driver is 80lbs overweight. I love it. Lol.

Bill

• Like Like x 2
  15. Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Is this true? I just put a deposit down on a new HC and was told it was still an option. Hmm...