How to create playlists for uconnect

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Electronics' started by 16SRT, May 23, 2016.

1. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    So, I've seen many questions, but not much in the way of answers on how to create playlists for uConnect. This applies to those playing their music off a USB memory stick or SD card, as the iPod handles this internally for the folks rolling that way.

This technique works for any media player that will export an .m3u file, such as iTunes, Windows Media Player, Winamp, etc. I did this in iTunes, but used to use the other two, and they work almost the same.

1. Create your playlist in iTunes (or other).
    2. Export to .m3u format, and save at the top level of your music directory.
    3. Open the file in your favorite text editor, and you will note all of the file names are absolute (eg. c:\user\my music\blah...). You need these names to be relative, and this is why I suggested saving at the top level (shortest relative names). So, use Find / Replace All to change "c:\user\my music\" to blank (nothing). Or, if you chose to not save the m3u at the top level, adjust your relative paths accordingly (eg. "..\music\blah\").
    4. Copy to your SD card or USB drive, ensuring path names match actual location of the file within your directory structure.
    5. Put in the car, and drive around for a while, as it takes a little longer to load a playlist.
    6. Enjoy!

I have verified this works on my 2016 SRT 392, but assume it will work on any recent uConnect firmware.

• Useful Useful x 6
  2. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Am I the only one who read that and about halfway through went "oh hell, that's a lot of work, I'm too lazy for this shit"...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Probably. Aside from driving around while waiting for uConnect to read it, the whole job took me less than three minutes.

4. srtjay

srtjay Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    fwiw, all I had to do to get my USB thumb drive to work properly was to place .m3u playlists in the root directory for each album or folder of tracks that I wanted to play in a specific order. I used a freeware app called MP3Tag to do this. Worked like a charm. Once you plug in the drive and give it a minute or so to read it, tap Browser and choose Playlists and you should see all your playlists there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've been trying to find an easy way to do this as well. I am in the process or organizing al my music etc and was looking for a way to export some iTunes playlists to an SD card or something.

Side note, does anyone know of a program like Filebot that is good for music?

6. Mermac

Mermac Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We have a 2016 Ram 2500 and I tried multiple ways & software to create a playlist on USB with no success. I really didn't think it felt right to manually change the m3u files using find/replace, but decided to do it after I saw, on this forum, that's how you were doing it. Success! Thanks...and mind your file paths.

7. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If it helps, I just started using Media Monkey to replace ITunes etc. It will save your music and playlist to e thumb drive, and it saves them as m3u files. Its really easy and should work well. I am not back in the states so I can't try it for a few months, but something to consider

• Like Like x 1
  8. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So just dump all songs and playlists right at the root level? Is that easiest?

9. srtjay

srtjay Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Could be, not sure what max filecount per folder is though. May want to use folders if you have more than 99 files.

Also, make sure any album artwork is smaller than 1024x1024 or it can cause a problem for the headunit to read that file and it may actually prevent the entire drive from being read.