how to do a proper burnout w/ A8 and Nitto's

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by huggytree, Aug 22, 2015.

1. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Im still learning this one.....1st trip to the track i did a mini burnout...no smoke, just squeal....told it wasnt close to enough

2nd trip to the track earlier this week...im trying harder/longer.....but told im not getting enough rpm;s.....video's show squeal w/ little smoke.......my last few runs i kept the car going and it shifted into 2nd gear while doing a burnout and still hardly any smoke...just a bit at the end.......i was told i need 3 seconds of smoke for a proper burnout

for you A8 guys......how do you get your proper burnout?....start in 2nd???? hold it at what rpm??? for how long when it starts to smoke???

i want to get into the low 11's....and i know i wont do that w/o a good track and a good burnout......

2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have MT's but same deal. After the water car in track mode slide shifter to manual. Start burnout car will stay in first keep the R's over 4500 and count thousand one up to seven. Adjust as needed on time count.
    Make sure you slap shifter to auto at the line and select Custom mode before staging

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Make sure you are turning the traction control ALL the way off. That sounds like what is happening. You have to hold that button in for like 10 seconds to turn it all the way off. There are many threads on here about it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. themarshall

themarshall Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yo Huggytree, yep I have the Nitto,s A8 just about the same as B5blue almost. I use SPORT setting go to man. shift 1st gear start your burnout go to 2nd gear to finish heating the hides about 6 seconds worth total, back to auto shift pull into pre stage, now here is where some of us guys that have bin doing this for quite a few years can get a thin edge on the other lane. Stage SHALLOW, nudge the car into the final beams gentley, ever so gentley. WHY? It's called roll out, when you cut the last yellow close, oh so close, you have a hair's breath advantage over the other lane, you can move first and not light the "red eye" If you light red on a time shot It's not a big deal, If you light red on a dial in going rounds you go home.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i am using sport mode....that isnt taking TC off enough for a burnout?

6. pink68

pink68 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You don't do a big burnout with drag radials. Clean the tread and heat the skin. I've seen some on this board talk about smoking the tires but this isn't the best way. The fastest DR car runs 6.44 in the quarter and if you watch him heat up the tires he does not smoke them.

7. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A drag radial still needs some heat, traction off, I get the tires spinning in 1st and when it shifts to 2nd I let off the brake and let the car spin out a few feet and take my foot off the gas and let the car chirp the tires, stop a few seconds and then stage, it takes practice.
    TC
    BTW, make sure the water box has water and don't do the burn out in the water move up, you would be surprised how many do the burn out in the water....

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Cerino2000

Cerino2000 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The burnout you see in my vid was enough to stick perfectly. There's an in-car view too so maybe that will give you some perspective. Modulating the gas pedal.

9. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    something new for me...i do the burnout in the water....maybe thats some of my problem...im shifting into 2nd gear and barely getting smoke

10. Cerino2000

Cerino2000 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No water for me either. Not with radials. Another theory is that you could sling water ( since you have tread) into the wheel well and it drip back down on your tires when you need traction the most.

11. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    how about hot lapping??

i did this last time too...i didnt really notice it effecting anything....still got the same MPH, so i have the same HP............is there an issue with hot lapping?

12. Cerino2000

Cerino2000 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I did 4 in a row and lost no more than .1 in ET