how to find a Hellcat

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by redkey, Mar 26, 2015.

1. redkey

redkey Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    this is what I did about 3 weeks ago.

I didn't create anything new. this method was already available and others had already found cars via a similar, even if briefer, method. it takes a lot of work, but you CAN find one, even if it's just an order that's now only at D1 status. you'll also find those already built and in-transit, including one or two (probably) soon to arrive at a dealer. you may well even find one or two just arrived on a lot that are close enough to be at least worthy of consideration in color, options, and price. of course MSRP is tougher to find, but access IS out there. you will also find a couple at $5K over if you are willing to pay an adm. that's your choice. and keep in mind: you only need to find ONE.

prior to this, I just googled "dodge dealers in..." for EVERY state in the USA, one at a time and that's how I found mine, which was ordered for store stock on Sept 24, and put in my name in late November. I just got a VIN 2 weeks ago, and I'm at MSRP. but, the dodge.com site inventory method is probably a more structured and easier to keep track of who you already emailed so as to avoid duplication.

1) start an email address on live.com, which is free, and which you can abandon after your search because this method is going to swamp that email address to the point where if it's your go-to email address, it'll get crammed and you will afterward have to block each dealership one-by-one...and I'm talking about multiple hundreds of dealerships. replies won't all just go automatically to the JUNK file. most will go to your INBOX because you initiated communication.

2) go to the dodge.com site inventory search, and choose a zip code for each of four corners of the country. set the distance at 200+ mile radius.

3) have a pre-written message saying what you're looking for that you can paste into the "contact us" tab on each dodge dealership site, along with your first and last name (you can abbreviate if you want because if you do find something, you'll be exchanging multiple emails and can give them your full name later), and your zip code.

4) do about 80 to 130 mailings for each of the four zip code locations. (so, as you can guess, you'll have to read each of those hundreds of replies, but early on, you'll be able to eliminate the vast majority of those to narrow your field of potential dealers who can hook you up).

5) don't just search Hellcats. email EVERY dealership with even ONE Challenger of ANY trim level. I actually only found 22 Challenger Hellcats listed on there nationwide when I was doing this.

So, yes, this is a lot of work. but, what's the car worth to you? hell, you can even hire some 11-year-old to send all of the initial emails to dealers for small fee, and handle the follow-ups yourself.

I found 6 or 7 viable orders/cars available, but meanwhile, my November order got picked up, which surprised the hell out of me, because after 5 1/2 months, I didn't think it ever would, which is why I tried the dodge.com inventory method in the interim...and it works....if YOU work it. don't just sit around and only ask others where a car is. it's not easy, but do enough footwork and you CAN find one. waiting will probably be included, and there's not a 100% surety that your D1 will get built or that the dealer won't sell the car out from under you, but that's par for the course. no risk = no reward, and no effort to search on your own = how bad did you really want the car?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good advice Redkey!

They are out there, just takes a bit of work to find.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    May work, you will find a lot of "sold" orders show up. BUT if you are in the right place at the right time you may get really lucky.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. redkey

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    IMO, it takes a LOT of work. I don't want to minimize that. but my main point is that it can be done.

and this thread is directed for the most part at those new to the site who may not yet have learned about the method or may not have learned how huge demand is in the face of supply. everybody else who already has been on here for awhile knows what's up and can decide for themselves how much work (or slacking) they're willing to put into finding what they say they want.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. redkey

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yes most are sold orders, but you only need one that fits. and, by increasing the number of dealers, you increase your odds and reduce the degree that 'luck' factors into it.

at the farthest extreme, if you contacted EVERY dealer in the country, you absolutely would find one. you don't need to rely on luck as the main way you're going to get one...unless you actually can find one after contacting just a few dealers in which case you don't need to search large numbers of them. but how common is that?

my dealer is small, doesn't sell many Challengers at all, and is out in the middle of nowhere. I never would have considered him but this approach included him. that's not luck, that's just contacting tons of dealers even if on the surface they don't seem like a very viable choice. by doing so, I increased my chances. I increased my odds. that's logic, not luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I found mine doing much of what you're saying.. Was in VON hell, not idea when I'd get a car so I had been calling around. Found a dealer with a car in D1 that was just canceled so I jumped on it when it was offered for sale.

7. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    locate all your possible targets...regardless of what ADM they are asking for....write down the salesmans name.....call the weekly making them your offer....never change your offer....tell them you will put $ down for that price right now and pick it up quickly.....

color is the biggest issue....pick Sublime, tricoat black, tor red and your search will be easy....pick silver and your in for a long search....good to have 2-3 color choices....be open to options (i wanted stripped but found loaded)

dont assume because they have a $15k adm on the car they wont sell for msrp........that is exactly what happened to me........i kept telling them msrp and also made it clear that i felt paying over msrp was immoral....i drove it home that i would never pay over msrp

most dealers will blow you off.....they will say ''everyone is selling for $20k adm''...its BS....there is a poll here on what people paid and most say MSRP

get your list of 10-15 cars.....and call them weekly...making the same offer, over and over...you want to be the guy they call when they finally decide to cave on their $15k adm and get rid of it...

i paid $150 for a plane ticket to NH in 2013 to get my gt500....the dealer picked me up at the airport and i drove it home 1400 miles..........dont be afraid to travel 1/2 way across the country...

once i sold my 2011 IE i purchased my HC within 4-5 days for msrp in early January(it was sitting roped off on the showroom floor)....it can be done.....most is luck and timing, but working hard and knowing how to handle a salesman is also part of it....if your wishy washy they will hold out for full ADM.....if your firm you have a better chance for MSRP

if your willing to pay $5k adm and also pick a popular color i dont see why you cant find a car within a week......once again---if you want a less popular color your probably going to search for months.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good post redkey. I chose to use the Dodge inventory list to find my car. At least you can narrow the field to your choice of colour. Okay it does not differentiate between pitch or phantom but after trawling through lots of window stickers you get a feel for what the spec will be before you look. It took me three weeks to find mine. As you say sometimes it is pure luck. I got an email on one car that was exactly my spec saying sorry the car was a sold order. Two days later another email saying it had just become available and at msrp. Guess the finance fell through. Deposit paid immediately. Even then I kept thinking that someone could outbid me before I could get the paperwork signed. All this was even trickier for me as I had to do all this through a third party. Luckily enough my email address is .com and not co.uk so the dealers never knew I was UK based. Plus of course can we have a contact number for you requests. I just said I would rather work via email at the moment. the +44 would have been another dead give away. Good luck people on finding your cats but with the current lock down on new orders I think you will struggle to achieve it without paying an ADM

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sinurgy

Sinurgy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I assume you mean at MSRP right?

10. redkey

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I feel safe answering that with a "yes." BUT, I have to admit, that as I said, even with the amount of dealers I contacted, which my best guess would be 300 - 400, (I'm basing that on the replies I received from dealerships to summarize the information I ended up with because that's the only source of info I had...I don't know any insiders or even know anyone personally who works for a dealership) I only found 6 or 7 (I've already forgotten the exact number). 6 or 7 out of that amount of dealers is about 2%. and one of them was a $5K adm. I included it because it was an order somebody has backed out of and was only a day or two away from arriving. those 6 or 7 were only the manual cars, so probably twice that amount if you included automatics. that total is about 5% but my guess is that the overwhelming majority of people already have their mind made up about what trans they want and aren't flexible about that at all. for me, that's the #1 "must have" and I'd guess it's the most inflexible feature of the car to most people.

so, based on the replies I got, that's slim pickin's!

it also depends on, as someone just stated here, it depends on the specifics of what you're looking for and the options you want, along with transmission and with how flexible you are. actually that'd probably be the most accurate answer to your question.

such searches IMO are a snapshot because most cars, especially those without a big adm are snapped up fairly quickly. so my answer is a 'qualified' yes. with a 2-3% payoff, if you want a less popular color and 3 options, it must be msrp, and you must get locked in on it NOW (either by having your name on the car order or actually making the purchase right now), you might NOT (I'm assuming you're at least flexible enough to be able to live with at least one other color choice, and perhaps with getting at least the options you want even if that means having to pay for a couple you don't want if it's too late to change anything on the order. none of my figures includes an unspoken for allocation that has not had any order placed at all for it yet, so that may well include another car or two in the figures, but it's also the least dependable situation to be leveraging your hopes on too. .

from what I've heard, there are 2000 - 3000 dealerships. I'm not sure the exact number. but I stopped at about 10 - 20% of that total. and I stopped because even after searching 70 or 80 pages, you're already seeing on the dodge.com inventory site some dealerships you already saw on another of the zip codes. so considering all of those numbers, there's probably another 1700 - 2700 more dealerships, and they MUST be very small or their listing would be easier to find. my dealer has 275 used, 225 new, and those 225 include just 4 Challengers (excluding mine) which all have sat all winter and are still there. so 500 total cars. considering that, out of that 1700 - 2700 you've probably got most dealers with maybe 2 SXT's. IMO it's so much work sorting through the 3 or 4 hundred, I just wouldn't bother trying to eat those couple thousand more when they've got so few cars...*keeping in mind the role of prior Challenger sales in allocations permitted to any single dealer.*

I'm pretty sure there will be a 2016 Hellcat and we're just roughly halfway through the first year. many more people are YET to get a Hellcat than there are that already have one. if you were willing to wait for a '16, you could just keep track of who got a '15 at MSRP, and found the dealership to be both forthright and efficient. then get the hookup for a model year 2016 car started right now with them while you continue to search for one elsewhere too, such as a dealer that somebody backed out of. at this point there is no telling how the rollover of '15 orders into '16 is going to be handled so there is even more uncertainty.

"it depends"

hope it works out for you whatever it is that you want. ( I also need to clarify that my numbers are based on Challenger. if you want a Charger then of course you have a few differences to sort through. on the positive side, there's only one transmission which reduces complications a tad. personally if they made the Charger in a manual, I'd prefer to have one of those than a Challenger.)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  11. Sinurgy

Sinurgy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When did you do all this, I know it was recent but recent as in the past couple of weeks or recent as in the past couple of months?

12. gabe

gabe Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    With in 5 days i had my challenger hellcat in my garage.
    Just go to drivesrt.com and search new car inventory. Set the amount of miles you are willing to drive to pick up your car.
    My hellcat was 200 miles away from home.
    I did my search just before the monthly allocation and got my car on March 6.

13. Sinurgy

Sinurgy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    At MSRP? Also I wonder how many people have pulled this off since the whole FCA warning and subsequent announcement that no more orders would be taken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gabe

gabe Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I payed $5,000 over msrp the same amount I was going to pay for the car I had order back in December. I think i could lower it to $3,000 over but did not want to risk it. I didn't want to drive 200 miles for someone to take it for 5 over.

I decided to look for a car myself because with my luck i wouldn't get one with this vin lottery.

15. redkey

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    the ones I found were all D1 or later. I wasn't looking for a dealer who claimed to have an available allocation to try to place another order. I don't know exactly what's going on with that because once I got my VIN, that doesn't directly concern me anymore. like I said earlier, either D1 or already built was the focus of my search.

on top of that, like I said, I was looking for Challengers. I don't know anything about what has been or is happening regarding the whole situation with Chargers.