How to get a better pass out of my 2016 A8

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by dragcat, Jul 3, 2016.

1. dragcat

dragcat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am new to the forum. I have wanted a hellcat challenger since they came out in 2015. I finally purchased a new 2016 2 months ago. I am impressed with everything on the car, except my quarter mile times! I have about 860 miles on the car so far. It is bone stock except for 305 Mt drag radials. My best pass so far is 11.20 at summit motors ports park. And my best 60ft. 1.66 at quaker city (thanks to Dan for the setup). I am just looking for some help to get a faster pass on the car. It seems to bog into 6th gear. And it appears my supercharger belt may slip a bit. Might change out to a better quality belt and reset the trans adapts! Are the 2015's faster or is it because they are broke in? Any help would be greatly appreciated!:)

• Like Like x 2
  2. PetroHellcat

PetroHellcat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    What were the temperatures that day? Do you know the density altitude? What is the track elevation? What were your intake air temps during the run? What mph? Can you post the time slip? What was your 60' on the 11.20 run?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to gather information.

If it was 90F out and you ran 11.20 I would be happy. :)

I don't own a Hellcat(yet) but the above can/will affect e.t. and mph.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dragcat

dragcat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Temps were high 70's and humid! I didn't have my density altitude meter with me. Track elevation was 1100ft. Intake air temp was 138 degrees at the start of the run. 125mph. 1.76 60ft. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  4. PetroHellcat

PetroHellcat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Good info.

Humidity and high intake air temps are a problem. Another possible problem is track prep. A 1.76 60' is good but it's obvious the car is capable of a better 60' because of your 1.66 at Quaker City. Did it spin at all? A good rule of thumb regarding e.t. is every .1 in the 60' equals .2 in your 1/4 mile time. If you were able to replicate that 1.66 60' at Summit I'm confident you would have ran a 11.0.

Like I said in my original post I don't own a Hellcat but I do own a CTS V and in my car the computer starts pulling timing at 140F iat's. I'm assuming the Hellcat has some kind of similar computer intervention to keep the car from blowing up so in all likelihood your cat was also pulling some timing.

11.20 in high humidity, with high intake temps, computer possibly pulling timing and an average 60' is very good. Run it again in October and the car will be 10.8's.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Indybill

Indybill Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In conditions like that I usually run 10.90's if the DA is around 2500 or so. Last weekend in Indy with 93 degree and 3300 DA the worst the car ran was 11.25

My first time out with temps in mid 70's, DA in the upper teens I went 10.92, 10.92 and 10.89.

With temp in the mid 60's and DA 1198 I went 10.73. Temp and DA affect these more than I thought being supercharged. I run the same MT DR's.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jettster

Jettster Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A couple of things-tire pressure, burnout, launch technique, settings. Try 18-21 lbs in MT's and put trans and traction in sport, suspension in street. Do a good burnout and brake it a little keep the revs up near redline-if I don't get this right even with good track prep my car spins and loses time. I just barely load the converter as the yellows come down then release brake as I smoothly press the gas to the floor. Stomping it will upset the car and lose time. My best pass so far is a 10.82 at 128 in decent air with a 1.62 60 foot and 6.9 eighth at 101. As others have said the weather can have a half second swing on these cars between 10.6 and 11.1 or if technique is off 11.0-11.5. Stella holds the stock record at 10.62 mph 130...his car is very fast and he is a technician at the tree...some cars are a couple of tenths faster than average-some a couple slower just from production tolerences-I just try to improve my part of the equation and have fun-these things are so fast and a blast to run!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the forum from upstate New York btw, I was at track with challengerdad who has a8. He was running consistent times around 11.4-11.6 w/o drag radials. Our times got better when sun went down and track prep Was fresh. We had a 45 min break from a car leaking coolant down track. A lot of cars made better passes after break.
    If the track is prepped right and air temp coming in SC is cooler you hit under 11 seconds.
    Elevation at track was over 1100 also

• Like Like x 1
  8. Indybill

Indybill Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You want trans in Track, Traction in Sport and Suspension in Street. If traction is there, turn traction full off

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am assuming you have 305/35R20 MT ET Street S/S's on stock rims? ? With that tire MT says 14 to 20 PSI. If you are having trouble hooking then you need to try 16psi ish. Also if you are having trouble hooking then you can run a full tank of gas and add about 75 pounds of ballast to the trunk.

I have found my car likes about 1000-1200RPM launch and I nail the throttle wide open. I do not baby it. I also cool my motor down at least 1 hour and in the summer as much as 2-1/2 hours with the hood open (with short run times to move the car up). I never ice my blower. Cooling my car down will give me about .1 to .15 in the 1/8th.

Yes, run Trans in TRACK, Traction in SPORT and Suspension in STREET. Set this in your custom mode setup and then you can double tap the SRT button to take you straight there. Never turn traction control full off. I am a Pro and I don't turn it off.

I keep my front tires at 50 PSI, but not for casual driving long distances.

I do a good 4 second burnout in 2nd gear manual and make sure you burn forward past all of the water. I set my paddles "ON" and use the right paddle to select 2nd gear once I am positioned for the burnout. Then when you roll forward don't forget to put it back in AUTO/Drive.

It's hard to tell what your 60 foots should be. When my car was new in January here in So Cal I was laying down 1.59 to 1.62's But in the summer they will be quite worse. I would say with a cooldown and running at night you could get a 1.62ish.

Good luck and when ever you can tell us the track, time date and post a time slip and we can do a lot more than just guess. . .

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    great info dragrcr, i have to ask, why do you want your suspension set to street instead of track? i would think it would be better to be a little more stiff for drag?

11. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Softer damping let's the rear squat a little more - better weight transfer to the back

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    very cool, i will test that out. thank you ;)

13. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The suspension setting is for the whole car which includes the front as well as the back. You want the front end to be able to lift during launch transferring weight to the back tires. So you want the suspension soft or loose so it can let the front end lift. Just so you know that is the setting that the Rep from Dodge said to use.

. IMG_8189rs.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. DB2

DB2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    6/22/16 i was there at Quaker City Ohio with dragcat.
    2800-2900 DA, 78 degrees. It was a slower night for sure. My best that night was 11.00 @124.38. 60ft 1.61. 1/8th 7.07 @ 100.81.
    I think dragcat was in the 11.30's when he hooked, got his suspension settings to street & i think it helped his launch.

Towards the end of the night we switched cars, both were hot, I dead hooked in his car & he blew the tires off in mine......I had about a car length or so on him & he still reeled me in & whipped me with my own damn car! o_O

I left the slip in his car but i know i ran a 11.37 in his. It shifts WAY different & the throttle is different while footbraking, like harder to hold just off idle kinda.

Mine does have the 3.09 as the only modification.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. DB2

DB2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is another 2016 around at Quaker city that runs very similar times to dragcat's, he has tried 20's with sticky mickey SS, 17 race stars with hoosiers, now he's getting the 18 bravados with street R's. Just cant quite get there?

He claims his fastest run to be 11.20's as well.