SRT Hellcat Forum banner

How to get the 2017 interface on a 2016

141K views 541 replies 115 participants last post by  Mark1107 
#1 ·
I love the font of the 2017 and the way it's set up is there a way to get it on the 2016

Thanks

#5 · (Edited)
The older versions of UConnect can technically run the new UConnect 4 software because they all run on an ARM platform. Almost each year of Uconnect head units had iterative changes in CPU and memory, which allowed for better performance, but did not break backwards compatibility. However, for MY 2017/2018 vehicles that get the new system, we're talking new CPU, faster RAM, and a higher resolution screen that's capacitive (as opposed to resistive on our UConnect). While FCA could technically port the new software back, they aren't going to do that, and I'd bet it's because of performance and usability issues.

I would take a stab and say the only way to upgrade is to replace the whole unit (outside of hacking an ISO together and doing a DIY upgrade), but since the head unit does so much central processing for in car electronics, you'll probably need to get the dealer involved to actually get it working (just conjecture).

#8 ·
FWIW, I had the dealer check into this for me a few months ago for my 16. According to them, srtfan is spot on and the back of the stereo is completely different with different plugs and connectors.

Why does this not surprise me???

:(:mad:

#10 ·
The 13-16 Model Year Radios are manufactured by Harmon Kardon. 2017 Radios are Panasonic made. Some things such as Heated / Cooled seats are not working on the radio touch screen as of right now, and you need a new USB hub for the Carplay/Android Auto to work which is currently on national backorder with no ETA.

The plugs on the back of the radio are exactly the same, there is an additional diag port and unused Red Fakra connector.

#16 ·
I'll grab some pics when I get in the office tomorrow, heck I have a 17 radio in the 16 loner car the dealership gave me till my Charger gets here the 3rd... Just dont tell the dealership I ripped the radio out of their new car with 58 miles :D

Reactions: Skrelnik
#18 ·
The radio itself is manufactured by Panasonic, your audio system is made by alpine (amp, speakers etc.). you can go to settings, information and it'll show the panasonic logo and etc info.

#19 ·
I've been wondering about this as well. I was going to buy a 16 radio because it had better hardware. Would be really sweet to get an 18 with the new pages etc, but i think that said in a statement that it won't be retrofitable into earlier years. What else has changes between the 15 to 17 radios?

#23 ·
I've been wondering about this as well. I was going to buy a 16 radio because it had better hardware. Would be really sweet to get an 18 with the new pages etc, but i think that said in a statement that it won't be retrofitable into earlier years. What else has changes between the 15 to 17 radios?
for chargers / challengers specifically the 17 radios are the brand new ones made by Panasonic And the 18s will use the same radio model. I'm already working on getting the demon performance pages working once it's released. The 17-18s will fit in a 15-16 charger but there are some issues. See my post above.

#29 ·
I meant that i know it fits, but i thought they said the new Uconnecct setup for 18 wouldn't work in previous years. I thought that it might have more to do with it being 4g now, needing a new antenna etc.

#24 ·
Here are some pictures of the 17 unit in a 16 charger, like I said, everything works minus the media hub and isolated cases of the heated/cooled seats.

#93 ·
Here are some pictures of the 17 unit in a 16 charger, like I said, everything works minus the media hub and isolated cases of the heated/cooled seats.

Say

notice the time in all the pics are 9:14... sorry got carried away

#25 ·
We grabbed a Media hub out of a 17 charger and confirmed that it indeed works on 15/16 cars with no programming, simply swap out the original media hub that came in your car with the 17 one and Carplay/ Android auto work perfectly.

#27 ·
The company I work for sells them, but dont want to post a link to go against the rules here. A simple google search of UAQ chrysler radio should give you what you want.

#35 ·
No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#38 ·
Everything works fine minus what I said about the heated/cooled controls, which from what ive been able to gather is due to the way the CAN system is slightly different in the 17s. I should have a fix for it within a week or so.
Is the fix software or hardware based?

#39 ·
this is great info!
what does the media hub cost?

#40 ·
IIRC somewhere around $100-125.

#44 ·
Managed to get someone I know at mopar to release 50 of the media hubs to us, now the wait starts to see how long it'll take...

#45 ·
Do/did you see any issues with the SiriusXM Guardian feature, or get any VIN errors? A buddy of mine that works at a dealer looked into this for me at some point and read that the radio must be programmed to the correct VIN, and that a "Critical VIN" error could occur if your VIN is not in a database?

Per my buddy:

....it looks like the VIN has to match the build data for it to operate:

In addition to the LED indicator on the mirror, one of the following error messages may appear in the RRM touchscreen display. These error messages will coincide with a solid red mirror LED indication.

Critical VIN Error - This message typically indicates the radio data was not provisioned with the back end database, or that critical data within the RRM is missing. Diagnosis of this type of failure will require the assistance of the network provider. Enter the Dealer Mode menu by selecting the temperature up, temperature down and front defrost buttons simultaneously until the menu appears (about 5 to 8 seconds). Navigate through the System Information menu to the Radio Part Information menu. Write down the Serial Number listed on the Radio Part Information menu. The serial number begins with the characters, T00BE. Navigate back to the Dealer Mode menu. Navigate through the ##Menu Basic menu to the ##RTN# menu. Write down the MDN number listed on the ##RTN# menu. Write down the MEID number listed on the ##RTN# menu. Place a call to Uconnect™ Care. Provide your dealer code, name, call back number and the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Request a ticket be opened with the network engineers to assist with Uconnect™ + SiriusXM® Guardian diagnostics. A ticket will be opened with the network engineers and a call back will occur within 15 minutes for further assistance and diagnostics.
If this ends up working 100% for my 2015, you have a guaranteed sale of 1 UAQ radio. :D

#46 ·
Do/did you see any issues with the SiriusXM Guardian feature, or get any VIN errors? A buddy of mine that works at a dealer looked into this for me at some point and read that the radio must be programmed to the correct VIN, and that a "Critical VIN" error could occur if your VIN is not in a database?

Per my buddy:
I'll have to try tomorrow to see what happens. I know the radios work fine w/o vin programming, just not sure on XM Guardian.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.