How to handle your Hell Cat when it starts to go sideways

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by jmeyer94, Feb 4, 2015.

1. jmeyer94

jmeyer94 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Okay, you are cruising along slow when all of a sudden you floor the Hell Cat. You hear the tires spinning laying some rubber. Out of the blue the car makes a quick turn to the right on its own. You counter steer and then it whips back to the right to far and then you turn the wheel opposite direction, but it seems like you can't stop the car from fish tailing. Everybody just let off the gas when its passing through a straight line with the road? I'm trying to analyze my little incident and where I went wrong. It happened so fast, I can't even remember exactly what the hell happened when I floored it.

2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Let off the gas so she straightens out

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. JBS$

JBS$ Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You left out the part where you change your underwear and get Religion.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. tsc

tsc SRT Hellcat Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you're going at a decent clip, counter steer without some throttle input will put ya in a good ol fashioned tank slapper. Hitting the brakes is obviously the worst thing to do. Counter steer with a bit more throttle will help straighten it out.

I remember doing a 60 mph tank slapper on the highway after hitting black ice in my CTS-V... Back and fourth across 3 lanes. Scary stuff but no damage.

The sheer torque in this thing allows the car to rotate very fast if you're not ready for it. Keep the TC on when on the street and even then always be ready for it to bite you hard. :)

Once again, sorry to hear of your damage man..

5. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    have had similar issues with my 13gt500

1st step....let off the gas....as soon as you feel it start to slide ---STOP......dont try to counter steer....just let the foot off the peddle

i always keep TC on.......it will straighten out the car for you.......as long as you let off the gas

6. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Steer into the slide, and gradually ease off the throttle. Completely out, hitting the brakes gets you instant admission to the 'over correction' statics club. It's a dance...Find an open parking lot without light poles and other metal bending stuff. Go crazy, explore, learn. It's a 'feel'. I got to learn in a '62 Ford pickup, in our pasture, where the only thing I had to worry about, was if the cow turds were frozen...made it much bumpier and possibly something that could roll me. That let me air it out, no holds barred, learn my limits, at the age of 10. So go scouting, find a place like that...with pavement, so the experience is more close to today's reality...but a good grassy pasture is easier to slide around and will get your feet wet!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Cat-Man-Do

Cat-Man-Do Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    great advice on the find a lot and practice. i used to race go karts with my kid (shifters/tag) and we'd take some of my sons friends during practice and let them take his for a spin. inevitably they'd spin out several times and you'd wonder what the heck they were doing. Easy to forget that learning curve and the "feel" you get from practicing and knowing your car. honestly, I'm going to have a very healthy fear/respect for this car when I finally get one...

8. ds tiger

ds tiger Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I also have experienced the snap sideways loss of control, though not Hellcat related.

High HP w/o TC on can be alarming and sudden and heartbreaking all in one lost before you know what happened moment.

9. Dragon

Dragon Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    there are a ton of things to factor in this.
    outside temp
    road temp
    tire pressure
    tire temp...will it hook up if I throttle it?
    road type...concrete very slippery.... assault will grip better.
    what mode are you in......is the traction control ON.
    what gear are you in.......very important

this vehicle has power ALOT and will lose control in an instant be safe and smart.

o and it helped me to learn how to drove in a 1974 F150 2WD in the snow......you learn how to drove sideways.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TOPDAWG

TOPDAWG Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As soon as the weather gets nice, I'm taking my HC out to explore. Practice and see how quick the tires let loose. I'm certainly not going to get sideways and not already have a feel for what to expect.
    My one quick drive before the bad weather came, gave me a little taste of what to expect, as I was cruising at 50 and tapped the peddle and the tires let loose. So I can't imagine what happens when I hammer the peddle.

Johnny

John

11. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Scary stuff. Very glad you are ok.

My method when a car/truck is getting sideways is to turn slightly into it while gently releasing power.

It's one of the reasons I think Dodge is out of their minds for putting 275's on this car. I really feel in my gut that the next model 2016's will be power limited some how like a lot of factory motorcycles in the first three gears, and *maybe* reduce some power to a "legit" 700 as opposed to more, which we all assume.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Question for you folks who have them already. My previous SRT ESP system would assist quickly when the car started to get sideways. Do the gremlins help much if you do not switch it off with the HC?

13. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if it's snowy out, find a parking lot and practice there too (as opposed to the cow pasture). Every car will feel different in a slide. When I had my old buick century at 18, I would barely even turn the wheel when I wanted to make a right hand or left hand turn (on snowy roads). Hit the e-brake and let that tail end slide around, release it when I was pointed in the direction I wanted to go and keep on traveling....sometimes I'd purposely miss the turn I needed so I could hit the e-brake for a complete 180 on the remote 2 lane road. Once you get a feel for how the car slides it'll become second nature.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Dtoldave

Dtoldave Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    High horsepower, TC is pointless its stability control, hard tires, cold road and bad judgement barrel rolled a 2014 GT500 on me. Stability over reacted and locked a front wheel when the ass "Wiggled" and because I was on the gas, the front end was light. front brake applies, locks wheel, I let off, weight comes back down on the front, car goes RIGHT SIDEWAYS... I did save it, however I was 12 inches off the road and the 2 foot tall by 3 foot in diameter bolder wanted to see the front of the car, that's what started the flipping and rolling.. I walked away (limped) a bit wiser... and a little lighter in the scalp.. (I lost a 3x3 inch chunk of my scalp in the accident from the convertible top support) TC is pointless on anything over 600 HP. most use break vectoring, and stability control over 70 mph is also useless. Now, 3 days after my accident, the car was bought and dissapperared for 3 months, and then resold at an auction, with no SRS module, and no ABS module. (SRS works as a "flight recorder" and the ABS module holds the TC/SCS calibrations).. and ford released a new cal for the the car a few weeks later.. I am happy to be alive, and have a TON of faith in Recaro Seats, and fords safety systems.. and a bit wiser.. Be careful.

15. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, I have been sideways a few times in the rain and just letting off the throttle a little and no extreme over correcting and the beast does the rest. There are many of those "holy shizzy" moments when you give your Hellbaby a little gas and forget it isn't a regular V8! Lol:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1