How to know a dealer in another state has an allocation like they say?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by carcass, Oct 13, 2015.

1. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi all,
    I could use some help, a dealer 1500 miles away from me I've talked and emailed with says they have an allocation and can order me a car with my options on a 16 model. How do I trust this out of state dealer? He wants 1000$ deposit on a Challenger at MSRP.
    I've been reading and searching on here but this deal could pass if I wait.
    What can I do to insure my deposit isn't going to a dealer who doesn't have an allocation and just wants to sit on my deposit till they do?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. USMCVET0311

USMCVET0311 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They should be able to generate a VON (Vehicle Order Number) within 24 hours and provide it to you. Secondly, they should be able to provide a POC (Priced Order Confirmation) within 24 hours. I gave three deposits and all three dealers "said" that they had allocation. One of them did and I had to get my deposits back from the other two.

3. carcass

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you
    Do I get these numbers prior to putting the deposit down?
    are these numbers generated and then I put the deposit down?
    Can I stipulate any way to get out of the deal if a number isn't generated in a timely manner?

4. USMCVET0311

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    These would be post deposit, but getting your deposit back isn't hard. Yes - I would tell them if you don't have a VON within 24 hours you want your money back.

5. carcass

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    on the deposit, I spoke to the dealer and he stated that the deposit was refundable if the car came in and wasn't exactly as ordered but was not refundable if the car is perfect and I decide not to buy.
    I didn't ask about a refund on the deposit if the VON doesn't go through, I should do that.
    I've read about deposit refunds from others on this forum and I'm confused as to the deposit and refund process, or what my opt out options are

6. USMCVET0311

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's a given that they have to be able to PROVE beyond a reasonable doubt that they actually ordered the car. A VON and POC does that. A VIN should come within a week. If they can't provide you evidence (VON/POC) that they ordered the vehicle, they cannot keep your deposit. I would be standing on the owners desk if a dealer tried something like that (although I don't believe that they'd be dumb enough to).

7. carcass

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    cool,
    after reading so many stories about dealers selling cars they couldn't get on this site it makes me pretty nervous shelling out cash.
    Seems like there were people waiting over a year? did these folks have to wait to get the VON?

8. USMCVET0311

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That was guys who ordered in 2015. I ordered and had my car in 5 weeks. Von in 24 hours, POC in 48, VIN in 72.

9. carcass

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How do people commit to buy, fax machine and signed papers agreed on price options and terms of deposit?

10. USMCVET0311

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    POC is your price with options (Priced order confirmation). Terms of deposit at all dealers I spoke with were verbal.

11. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This raises an interesting dilemma and a question of my own. I contacted a dealer today that is about 300 miles from where I live (not far). The Hellcat representative/sales person for the Dealership told me that all his current allocations in the system on order have been spoken for. He said I could be first on his list for his next allocation that would be sometime next month, but I would need to put down a $2,500 deposit.
    I told him that I have no problem with this reasonable request if I was placing the order that day, but why should I put down $2.5K to be on a waiting list? He appraised me that he WILL get another allocation and was 99% confident that it would be next month. I asked him to send me an email for documentation purposes and he did right away. Seems legit.....just hate putting $$ down for the right to be first in line. Your thoughts/advice are greatly appreciated.
    The Dealer is an MSRP Dealer.....which is better than many of the Stealerships I've contacted.

12. USMCVET0311

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had two dealerships spin me the EXACT same story... The allocation never came and I was $3k out of pocket with no car ordered. Move on - dealers have allocations at MSRP. I called 40 dealers, made a spreadsheet and found three with allocations at MSRP.

13. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

talk to the General Manager and get an email confirmation on the price and availability--anyone less than the GM is a crap shoot..

14. USMCVET0311

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had a GM BS me as well. Unless they can give you a VON in 24 hours or less.... WALK. Dealerships have allocations at MSRP - you just have to be willing to do the leg work.

15. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

while we all want a deal-- yet the double edge sword, is that pricing over MSRP means the cars are in demand and that the resale values stay high--I applaud a realtor who can sell a house for the most money and I applaud a dealer for selling a car at the highest price possible--if you want a Chevy Impala you can always get a steal...