How to preserve a Sepia interior?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by RadCat, Feb 15, 2015.

1. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm going to change my order to Jazz Blue and I think I want to go with the Sepia Laguna for that color car. Is there any type of treatment to preserve the color and condition so will always look like new? I've never had a car with a light colored interior (lighter than dark grey). Seems like over time they might darken or get dirty, maybe absorb some body oils, especially in the warmer southern states during summer.

Would something like Scotch Guard work? Can you even Scotch Guard leather?

2. Juan-Carlos Escobar

Juan-Carlos Escobar Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I own Leather Coatings, Inc. Your leather is sealed with a clear coating, both for protection from grime, and UV rays. Use a white wash cloth (no dyes) with warm water, and a very mild facial soap NO SCRUB. Wipe of with rinsed warm wash cloth. Treat it like it was your skin ;) One of my products that I personally do not retail, others do is DYO Leather Balm. Use this once a month on smooth leather, do not use on your dash as the sun will affect it, then it will migrate to your windshield. Also the DYO Leather Balm will repel oils from you skin etc. Most shoe shops have it, or it's on Amazon. :D
    ALSO ~ when you get in and out of you car(s) make sure your rear (and passengers') clears the bolster parts of your leather seating, if not you will abrade the clear coating and dyed surfaces ..

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Juan Carlos... Given you obviously know something about leather care.... What do you think of Lexol cleaner and conditioner? I've used both for years on many cars and the leather seems to hold up very well but I'd be curious to see what you have to say about Lexol good or bad. Thx.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Juan-Carlos Escobar

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They also have very good products. They do retail mostly, my company does more of the "private label" products.

6. Juan-Carlos Escobar

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You do not need to "apply" anything to new leather! Just keep it clean....;)

7. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good to know that Lexol is decent. It's the best I've found but I'm sure there are many other great products I don't know about. I try to clean and my seats at least once a month. It seems to work for me as the leather always looks new and it's soft.

8. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well I use as a surface sealer not cleaner, or conditioner. Does that well. To each his own on approach. Just sharing seemed on topic wanted to help :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Juan-Carlos Escobar

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I appreciate your sharing of that, thanks. But one just does not need to add another layer of anything on top of a new leather surface. I would equate that to clear coating your clear coat, on new paint; if that makes sense. Keep it simple, clean and condition, unless it's worn.

10. patrick77

patrick77 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    a little off topic but the nappa leather has to be conditioned right away to prevent creases...my seats look like they were never sat in after one year

11. C. Charles Hahn

C. Charles Hahn Silver Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Something to keep in mind - most leather in modern cars is typically urethane coated. Using a leather "conditioner" on coated leather isn't really doing you any favors since the feeder oils can't penetrate the coating. In fact, the oils left sitting on the surface will actually attract dirt and grime faster than a surface that is just clean. That can lead to a "sandpaper" effect, breaking down the urethane. Just be sure of what type of leather you're dealing with before deciding on a maintenance regimen.

To be fair, there ARE some products on the market that have functional benefits when applied to brand new leather; namely, additional UV inhibitors to prevent the urethane top coat from degrading with repeated sun exposure, as well as stain resistance.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  12. Greg C

Greg C Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've used Lexol a lot and been happy with it. I purchased Leather Honey cleaner and a conditioner recently. Supposedly a little better but haven't tested yet. It would be helpful to know if the Sepia seats are coated or not.

13. Juan-Carlos Escobar

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    To be clear ~ "Applied" for cleaning or conditioning yes, not for sealing or resealing type of "applied". You would not want to apply a permanent coating of any kind to any new leather especially Sepia.
    Luxurious Sepia Laguna leather now adorns SRT interiors. driveSRT News

14. Juan-Carlos Escobar

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Here is some good information.Luxurious Sepia Laguna leather now adorns SRT interiors. driveSRT News

15. C. Charles Hahn

C. Charles Hahn Silver Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You can apply a permanent coating (designed for such purpose) to new coated leather. Since the Sepia in particular is semi-aniline, you are correct that you wouldn't want to install a coating unless the product specifies compatibility. I know of at least one product produced by a company in the UK specifically intended for aniline and semi-aniline leathers, which may be worth further investigating:

Aniline LeatherGuard Protector LTT Leather Care