How to rinse after washing?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Detailing' started by evilblackdog, May 22, 2015.

1. evilblackdog

evilblackdog Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've read that you should used demineralized water to rinse at the end to avoid streaks and mineral deposits. All of our outside hoses are hard water. We do have a reverse osmosis system for drinking water but how does one go about rinsing with that. I suppose you could just use a bucket to pour it on but I imagine that would take a lot more water than it would if you could spray it on like a hose.

2. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a water demineralizer that I run my hose through and it works great.

As long as you wash your car out of the sun, with paint that is not super hot you will be fine with any water. The trick is to dry the car before the water evaporates off leaving the minerals behind (which are the water spots).

Wash it in the shade, with cool paint. I like to dry with an electric leaf blower and then follow up with some quick detailer and a few microfiber cloths to clean up the remaining water spots. Don't forget all the door jams and under the hood. With the scoop and extractor vents some water always gets under the hood and if you don't dry it up the engine bay will look crappy.

If you want to spend the money I have a DIC-20 and it works great CRSpotless Water Systems Spotless Car Wash De-Ionized Spotless Water My well water is stupid hard (720ppm).

Sometimes I don't use the DIC-20 but as long as I dry it fast and complete there is not issues.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Odin

Odin Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good advice! I have the CR Spotless as well and it works great. I also use the Master Blaster to help dry. Stay out of the sun!

4. Link

Link Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have always used a chamois to dry with, if you have to be in the sun dry the sunny side first, but yea try to avoid washing when it is hot and direct sun.

5. fflundy

fflundy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I dumped the chamois years ago! They retain dirt particles and scratch the car. THROW it away!
    Jim

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MikeD1

MikeD1 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I use the DIC-20 myself + an electric leaf blower. I towel dry the glass.
    The DI water eliminates spotting & streaks which make me crazy :D

Costco used to sell it for a lot less than the CR site & it came bundled with extra resin & a bunch of quick disconnects.

7. MaxxMuscle

MaxxMuscle Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    CR SPOTLESS De-Ionizing Spotless Water System

8. MikeD1

MikeD1 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ^^ That's the deal !! The extra resin alone is worth $90.

Notice when you go to the home page of the actual CR Spotless site, they are using my new car for a model !

9. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, I bought my DIC-20 through Costco. At the time it was the best deal going. I'm not up on the current pricing as I have had my unit for probably 10 years.

10. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    have a plumber run a new hosebib for you...one with soft cold and hot...that way you can wash cars in the winter with hot water...i have one made by Moen, but they discontinued it.......you can find other brands

i wouldnt wash my car with hard water...ive gotten water spots on the windshield even from my soft water

11. Dakman

Dakman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Humm that deionized system looks exactly like my reef commander that I use for my marine aquariums. Never thought about running a hose off of it to rinse the car but I will now. Not sure what y'all are paying for resin but I'm getting 7.5 lbs for $55.

12. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Soft water will spot your car just like hard water. Water softeners are replacing minerals (exchanging one for another) not removing them. Properly deionized water has NO minerals in it and will never spot.

13. MikeD1

MikeD1 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not sure how much is in each of the 2 bags it takes to refill the system, but they cost $90 from CR. There are 2 types of media in their product CAS # 069011-2-7 & 069011-18-3 Not sure what all that means, but does what you are buying for $55 contain the same stuff ??

14. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    thats not how i understand how a watersoftener works

the water softener filter media has a neg charge and attracts the minerals to it......not replacing minerals, but removing them...once all the softening material is full of minerals the charge turns to a positive....the salt is used to remove the particles from the media and change the softening media back to a neg charge......(i may have the neg and pos part reversed, but i know thats how it works)...what mineral do you think is it being replaced with?

if i dont dry my cars it will spot....i have an iron filter and water softener.....i prefer to use hot water to wash my cars which i know further takes minerals out of the water.....(i know this because im a plumber and when pipes freeze its always the hot side...why? because the cold is more impure and actually has a lower freezing temp than the hot side...95% of the time burst pipes are hot water pipes)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think you have proven the fact that soft water spots in your first post... Water softeners are ion EXCHANGERS not REMOVERS and they only exchange calcium and magnesium. Soft water is still full of minerals which is why it spots.

You need to remove all the minerals in the water to eliminate the spotting. It's normal for your soft water to spot and you are right to dry your car well after washing with soft water or it will definitely spot.

I'm not trying to claim to be a water expert I'm not. I do have SUPER hard water (720PPM) and I've learned a lot over the years as I've insalled my own water softening system, filtering system and acid neutralizing system as these are the issues with my water.

For my cars at the hose bib I run it through a deionizing system. I don't even use that all the time because my water is so freaking hard I go through resin much faster than normal which == $$$$ for replacement resin.