How will these cars stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by evilblackdog, May 13, 2015.

1. evilblackdog

evilblackdog Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Will the Hellcat or the new generation of classically styled muscle cars such as the camaros, challengers, mustangs be viewed as timeless classics like the originals in 10-20-30 years or will they be viewed as dated, disposable junk in 10-15 years like a lot of the 90's mustangs? Or will they go through a period of "undersirableness" and then be viewed kindly again down the road? With all of the computer stuff installed what would the restoration market look like 30 years from now?

2. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't believe the current Hellcats will be collector cars but depreciating toys still worth having.

IMO they will have their value fairly well. I see a HC still selling for $45-50k used two years from now with 30k miles.

If the average HC is being sold for $65k now that isn't too bad. $15k depreciation to wrap your hands around the baddest MC ever for two years. 20% or so depreciation in those early years.

For contrast, a Jaquar XKR/XKR-S that sold for $140k two years ago sells for $65-$75 or 1/2 loss - now that is a blood bath. Same with a Maserati Gran Turismo. The F-Type Jags may be worse.

Buying an HC as an 'investment' - I don't hear anyone claiming they are doing that ..... certainly IMO no one will be restoring these as classics 30 years from now (electronics were a great point).

3. RoRo

RoRo VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    These will be fairly collectable I believe and the electronics upgradeable. If you keep a it in excellent condition a collector expects any high performance car will be desireable in 30 yrs

4. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    it depends on how long dodge pumps them out, and mechanically how they are. If this engine design flops or the superchargers prove to be annoyances then expect the car to hold no value. But honestly modern mopars have been holding value greatly over the past few years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Only time will tell and I'll be takin a dirt nap by then. Remember one thing, Superbird's couldn't be given away and look at what it gets now.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Max57

Max57 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I'd be more curious as to how all the electronics and computers fare as time moves on,,,.

7. ALACAT

ALACAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    History repeats itself.

8. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think the electronics will be the demise of these cars as they get older. I see two issues... Failing electronics hardware and no software support whatsoever.

I hate to say it but I also think the majority of these cars will end up wrecked over time.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Wrecked = mo money for good ones

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hear you. I just hate to cars like these in the boneyard before their time.... :(

Let's all be careful!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. FLEX

FLEX Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I haven't seen that.

The numbered Daytonas and SRT8s have depreciated in value right along side their V6 and smaller V8 brethren.

As said above in 50 years who knows but most of us will be long gone...

12. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    my 2011 IE held value very well....in 4 years it lost 30% vs most cars 50% or more

i think you will be able to buy a Joe Dirt HC in 10-15 years for under $10k

at some point it will hit rock bottom and start to rise....they will never be all that rare....there will be 20,000+ of them made in 3 years.....not a rare or limited car....just hard to find now

kids in 20 years wont want them....the future is cars driving themselves....kids today(future HC buyers) dont care about speed/power...they are happy with a loud radio and a Civic......when i was young every kid had a camaro/firebird or early 70's buick/oldsmobile with a 350 or larger in it....today most kids drive their parents cars or a compact with 150hp..........there will be no one to buy your HC because there will be no interest.....also the next generation will be poor....their babyboomer parents/grand parents have saved $30,000 for retirement......they will be living in their kids basements leaching off their kids to survive when they can no longer work....the babyboomers will be a huge drain on this country....its not that many years away

0 chance your 2015 hc will be worth the same as a 1971 Hemi Challenger

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. BgAL

BgAL Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    According to Hagerty (classic car insurer) the Hellcat is destined to be a classic. Projected future value of $200,000. They are the underwriters so you would have to think they are basing their projections on a bit more than surmise and feelings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. FLEX

FLEX Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Have to agree with h-tree on this one. Kids today DNGAF about cars.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    how could a HC w/ 20,000+ produced be worth more than a 71 Hemi with 1,200 produced(or how ever many there were)

in 1971 few people thought their Hemi would be worth $100,000 some day.......in 2015 many people think their HC will be worth something...hundreds are storing them........

if they stopped making them right now....yea i think its possible.....but i dont think the HP war is over....i think it will continue w/o end...i think 1000hp from he factory will arrive one of these days....look for a 800hp+ GT500 next.....most thought it would have ended with a 550hp GT500 in 2011.....then they said 662hp was the end.....but now 2 years later we have 707hp.............Dodge may screw 2015 owners and up the HP for 2017 after the next GT500 comes out...your will have the 6.1 version of the HC when 2016 or 2017 comes..(i would really be pissed).......you could have the GN version while 2016/2017 have the GNX version

hagerty has no idea......maybe if the 2nd muscle car era is already ended we all may be lucky.....no new gt500 and no new Zl1(or Zl2)......if Ford/GM gives up and Dodge does after 2017....then yea i could see the HC having high value some day.....lots of If's