HSA - Hill Start Assist

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by intercooler, May 25, 2015.

1. intercooler

intercooler Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    N/A

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  2. 4510

4510 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have it on my R/T and can't shut it off that I am aware of. Since I've driven manual transmissions from day one.... I don't find I need, nor want it. In fact on my Camaro SS, there are times it is slow to release and I stall the car because I drive into the still holding brakes. So, sign me up as NOT A FAN!

3. MzKitty

MzKitty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have mine on but I don't think it works. Since I'm a novice I had my hubby try yesterday who hasn't ever driven anything except manuals until just recently. When he was stopped on a incline and removed his foot from the brake the car immediately started to roll back. I heard you had like 2 seconds that's why I had him try. I start off slow and though maybe I wasn't doing it fast enough but it did the same thing to him. I counted and it wasn't even a second she immediately started rolling back. He even doubled checked to make sure I did indeed have it checked off.

4. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    haven't turned mine on yet.. I think its more logical to just have a simple trouble free handbrake should anything be needed for hill start assist

5. sublime6spd

sublime6spd Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think it works great especially when on a serious incline and some asshat is way too close to your bumper which seems to be a common occurrence these days. Only stays on 2-3secs then you will roll back. Not needed or in use with a good driver in most circumstances but when needed you're happy too have it.
    My 2 cents.
    BTW I'm a lic. Big rig driver so I may know how to drive stick LOL

6. Max57

Max57 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Although I ordered the A8 tranny for my SRT (mainly do to leg/hip issues), I have driven the SRT with the M6.

I personally think the new "Hill Assist" they now have available for manual transmissions if absolutely fantastic! During my test drives, I was looking for inclines just to test the feature. It works perfectly! Gives you just enough time to engage the clutch without having to worry about rolling back if you happen to have someone very close to your rear,,,.

7. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I plan to test it out due to the positive comments :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. ChallCat

ChallCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had HSA on my 2013 Camaro SS and it drove me nuts with stalls and dumps (been driving sticks for 40 years). Embarrassing as hell.

Asked the dealer what could be done about it (can't manually shut it off on the Camaro) and they said "nothing can be done". Did some online research and found that if the horizontal sensor (under the center console on "top" of the tranny) is replaced with one from an auto transmission, the HSA would be disabled. Bought the part online myself for about $85.00 and took it up to the dealership and told them to replace it. They said it would not work - I said let's try it and I'll pay for it including paying to put the original sensor back in if it did not work or caused any issues - like throwing codes...

Bottom line is that it works just fine - no codes at all and now drives just like I would expect it to. Now the car "feels right".

If you want to get rid of it on your Camaro, it IS possible (and the fix is relatively cheap) - don't let the dealer tell you it can't be done. I'm not 100% positive but this also might work for your RT.

9. ljaviation

ljaviation Self proclaimed Banned, Because I can.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That was one of the first things I turned off. I can't get used to it, and been driving sticks all my life.
    My .02
    L J

10. Cruisin1966

Cruisin1966 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've not seen anywhere in the screens where this can be done. Care to elaborate?

11. Cruisin1966

Cruisin1966 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks, I'll have a look when I can get out to the car

12. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What's up with that. I've noticed that every time I come to a light the guy behind me is so close they just about hit me. Doesn't matter what I'm driving either. I've got all automatics and there have been times where I've been careful on step hills as I don't want to roll into the guy behind me.

People are dumb.. Leave some space. It only makes sense. I leave a ton of room. I don't want to be near anybody LOL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i think every manual car has that these days...its pretty standard....its just meant to hold you back for a second or 2....you need to be at a certain incline for it to kick in

14. michael Swartzentruver

michael Swartzentruver Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I turned mine off on my 09 R/T and i already turnded it off on my Hellcat. I don't like it.

15. thejerseydevil

thejerseydevil Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Question for everyone. I just saw that the car supposedly has this feature (although I didn't know it). How do I turn it on to try it? I've been on a few hills and haven't noticed any assistance from the car so it must be off. Would like to see if my car is working as designed.