I admit it, I'm a traitor...I was forced over to the Dark Side this weekend...

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by WindowShaker, Mar 24, 2015.

1. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So, I flew to Tallahassee this weekend to see my kids and I specifically reserved a Challenger R/T for my rental. When I got to the rental counter, they (Budget) told me the only Challenger they had was marked as "needing inspection". SO, my choices were a Mustang convertible or a 2013 Camaro SS. Since I'd already had a rental experience with the Mustang (didn't like it at all) I decided what the hell, I'll try out the Camaro since it's SUPPOSEDLY 400+HP. Well, I was severely unimpressed to say the least. Keeping in mind I'm a bit spoiled by the Hellcat, here's my views after driving it for 3 days.

I had a 2013 Challenger R/T that I traded in on my Hellcat and it was listed as 375HP and it was WAY more powerful than the SS. The SS sounded weak on start-up. There wasn't much in the way of sound that would tell you it's a muscle car. I tried a few times to break traction and had a difficult time doing so. The Camaro is certainly a good looking car on the outside, but the inside was shameful (in my opinion). The door panels were made of cheap feeling plastic, the paddles shifters were also plastic and didn't feel "smooth" when using them, and the interior just felt overall not worthy of a muscle car. It felt more like a family car inside. Even the stitching on the seats was single pass where Dodge uses the double. It DID have a Heads Up Display, but it was blue in color and was more distracting than useful and only offered MPH. The SS did offer a manual mode. You could move it from D to M and shift with the paddle shifters BUT the HUD would show "S" instead of the "M" that was on the shifter. I assume "S" means standard. Also, Manual was directly in line with Drive on the shifter and when moving it back to Drive, it was easy to push it too far and end up in Neutral. I REALLY like how the Hellcat's Manual mode is to the side so you can slap it back in Drive without fear of over revving your engine.

All in all, this weekend made me realize just how lucky we are that Dodge put the quality they did into our cars. I was SO glad to get back home to my baby and drive a REAL American Muscle Car!!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 11
  2. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    typical chivy overated overstated the hp again, probably had 200 hp at each rear wheel so they added it and came up with 400. My neighbor got on as her regular driver and it lasted 8 months before she traded it in.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great review! I was rear ended in my Charger R/T a few years back and they gave me a Slomaro! I too was unimpressed with the interior. Was uncomfortable and a BI*CH to get in and out of and my legs are long, but not THAT long. I hated it. We are really spoiled with the Hellcats. Now, I cringe whenever I have to rent because I know it won't be good enough. LOL :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah Tammie I'm 6'2" so you can imagine me trying to get in and out of it...I looked like a new born foal trying to stand up for the first time...wasn't pretty.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My old '10 Camaro SS ran 12.90s stock everything..with 350 miles on it.. they are not THAT slow.. but they really do feel like a POS compared to the Challengers and the Hellcat...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Didn't say it was slow....just weak lol. Definitely didn't match up to my R/T.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great rental review and GREAT to see you didn't get forced to switch to the dark side permanently

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LMAO! I totally got a visual. My back was messed up from my accident and there were times I thought it might be easier just to crawl out then to try and fold my legs up over my ears to get out!!! :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    And I just got a visual of you with your legs up over your ears...this post is going the WRONG direction all of a sudden...;);)

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oops! Sorry..I never mean for it to happen. I always have the best intentions at heart. It just flies off my fingers onto the screen and I let it stick! You can imagine I say stuff like that all the time to my staff, but I'm the boss so you know they want to crack up or say something back but they never know if I am serious or not! Its pure entertainment for me! lol:D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Right there with you. Can't count the times one of my co-workers has said to me "I can't believe you said that to him (the boss)!!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. tsc

tsc SRT Hellcat Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can't stand the new Camaro, but I have driven both V6 RS and V8 SS models multiple times as rentals, convertibles and coupes. Sounds like a typical beat on rental car, or you really had a V6, lol.. The SS's I drove (in San Diego) had plenty of exhaust rumble and once the traction control was off would light up the tires without issue. I actually preferred driving the V6 on canyon roads due to less engine weight over the front.. also keep in mind that the Camaros are lighter, so it should be faster than an R/T.

I remember lining up with a SS when I had my SRT8.. he was a M6 too (which has additional power over the automatic).. it was a cold day and we both struggled for traction but we were neck and neck...

13. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ive driven a Manual SS and i felt it was every bit as fast as my auto 392

it should stomp on your RT

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice review, thanks for posting. I had the same feelings about the SS Camaro I drove after I got my 08 SRT Challenger. Seems like you're a little confused about that "S & M" stuff, however. Not quite the walk on the wild side you were looking for though, huh?

15. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It wouldn't have...not even close.