I Am Looking For Max Grip Tires

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by VanishingPoint, Feb 10, 2015.

1. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am looking for a set of matched tires, front & rear, that offer more grip than the factory Pirelli summer tires. They can be factory or slightly larger. I know the Pirelli's are good, but wonder if there is a better set where the compromise is tire life for traction.

I am NOT looking for "drag" radials, but tires that can be driven daily and only compliment the car with more rear grip, braking and lateral forces.

2. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Maybe Michilen Sport Cup 2. It is whichever one they are using on the Vette Z06. Just gotta find a very close size to ours.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CasualObserver

CasualObserver Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If you are not worried about the trade off between grip and traction go R compound. I have street/road course driven Toyo R888 tires on the GTR and are great if not a little noisy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DrBuick

DrBuick Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nt05 or nt01

5. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    What are you gonna do with the summer tires?

6. CasualObserver

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You cannot get nt01s in 20" as I recall, and the 05 isn't R compound and may leave a bit to be desired as far as lateral grip is concered. Also, the Toyo R888 has far better rain grooves than either Nitto making it a better all around street tire IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  7. VanishingPoint

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Toyo R888 looks very promising, but no reviews on tire rack, and supposed to be very noisy. I don't want to lose the touring aspect of thew car, but don't want to compromise it's handling and increase it's traction.

B5, if I found a "dream tire" I would consider selling them, but more than likely keep the Pirelli's, rotate them once and be rid of them and onto the next set. I probably will try to go bigger all around (10.5-11) but this car really needs a 12 inch rim and a 335 on it. It just does.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Mtr

Mtr Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Check out [URL='http://[URL='http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=EP&affiliate=FH8&bPostID=post-id-94d52c16-f624-47d1-8d72-f937eeaca491']Consumer Survey Results By Category[/URL] Tire Rack's listings for "Extreme performance summer tires".

If you want to go even beyond those, check out this page: [URL='http://[URL='http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/comp.jsp']Track Competition DOT Tires[/URL], the section called "Streetable track and competition" tires. Those are the types of tires that come standard on cars like the Z/28 and are included in the Vette's Z07 ultimate-performance package. Be warned that in return for CRAZY levels of grip, the tires will be scary in the rain and outright dangerous in temps below 50 degrees. Oh, and their wear ratings suck. One thing all those reviews of the Z/28 rarely mention is that when you drive that car like it's meant to be driven, you'll get [I]maybe[/I] 2,500 miles on a set of tires.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. VanishingPoint

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    MTR, the second link does not work.

10. CasualObserver

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    In my opinion the best compromise between touring and performance is the Michelin pilot super sport. As far as cornering is concerned they are very close to many r compound tires. Michelin uses essentially an R compound for the shoulder tread blocks and a longer lasting compound for the rest of the carcass. The brilliance lies in the fact that when cornering you are very close to R compound traction. When not cornering you have basically high performance non R compound wear.
    I have street driven, dragged and road raced Toyo R888s, and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires (in a Nissan GTR application fwiw). The MPSS is closer than you would think from a cornering perspective to the R888, much quieter nicer riding and MUCH better in the wet along with better treadwear. That being said the R888 is little better under breaking and rolling into throttle as it's full tread face is R compound.
    As far as drag racing I feel they are roughly comparable. Although the R888 is a full face R compound it is a road race tire, not a drag radial. It has an extremely stiff sidewall which helps with cornering, but hurts when trying to absorb the shock loads of a drag launch; the sidewall also impacts ride quality and noise transmitted to the cabin. R888 tires howl at speed, I can live with it but others may be driven mad.

The real takeaway is the R888S won't do to your 60ft times what a drag radial will. However they will provide more traction when rolling into the throttle. But they are noisy and wear quickly along the the ride issues. The Michelin corner very nearly as well, will launch roughly on par and don't quite have the straight line traction. However since you said touring I really think you'd enjoy the Michelins.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. VanishingPoint

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    CasualObserver, thank you for a very well thought out, and written commentary.

Where would you say the summer Pirellis fall?

12. CasualObserver

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I don't feel qualified to comment on the Pirellis. I have about 20 miles on them in 14 degree weather...

13. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had the Pirelli tires on my SRT8. If you are using them in freezing temps be careful. If you attempt to use them on snow and ice, they simply won't work. On the other hand I thought they were fairly good with wear, traction and very good with noise and ride. Unfortunately the Gen1 SRT8 only had one drive wheel and that car would want to light up that left tire constantly with the tune I was running (no torque management and traction control).

I needed to drive that car last week to deliver it to its new owner and needed to use it through winter conditions. I purchased two Nitto Motivos for the rears (the old 275/40's are in my garage waiting to be roasted by my new HC). For the 1500 miles I put on them I was very, very impressed about everything from snow traction to ride and traction when we finally got down south and nice temps. And they look good. I know another member here has some pics of 315's he has fitted on some aftermarket rims on his Jazz Blue HC. Really good looking!

• Like Like x 1
  14. upnorthstar

upnorthstar Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    if you want max grip you'll need DR's...I will be going NT555R on rear (275 40 or 305 35)...and simply keep the other tires and use for front later...

15. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have about 250 miles on a new set of Continental Extreme Contact 275/40/20...I can only offer that I'm extremely impressed with the confidence these tires provide. Traction is significantly improved and corner feels slightly firmer. I bought them based upon reviews of several sights and so far they exceed my expectations.