I bet you can't see what was done to my Hellcat today

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Detailing' started by SRT_HC_707, Mar 17, 2015.

1. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm pretty pleased. I had my paint protection film applied to my Hellcat today and I also had Opt-Coat Pro applied.

First, I'm an amatuer detailer (something I really enjoy) and I'm not half bad. I did my own prep on the car with the understanding that the detailer was free to inspect the car and do any further cleaning and preparation that was necessary. I think if this was a job interview I may have been hired on the spot. He was very pleased (very surprised actually) with the quality of my prep work. In the end he only ended up doing an IPA wipe down and quick buff with Opti-coat paint primer.

One cool thing. These guys were telling me about the cars they did recently... Lambo, Porsches, Teslas etc. etc. I said what is your favorite car you have done recently. Without hesitation they said "your Hellcat". They weren't just saying it to be nice either. It was their first Hellcat and they were thrilled! :D

Two local companies teamed up, came to me (they are both mobile) and did the following...

3M Scotchguard Pro 2 paint protection film
    • Full front bumper
    • Full hood with wrapped edges
    • Full front fenders with wrapped edges
    • Backs of rear view mirrors
    • Door Edges
    • Under door handles (the area where your fingers mark the paint over time)
    • Full door sills
    • Full lower rockers including behind the rear wheels
    • Covered all the marker lights
    • Top of rear bumper and part way down
    They cut this all with a plotter ahead of time using the XPEL pattern (they use both XPEL and 3M patterns... XPEL patterns are generally better and 3M has no Hellcat yet if I remember what they said correctly). They didn't like the XPEL fit for the top of the bumper so they trashed that piece of film and custom cut a new piece onsite. I looked at four local installers work prior to going with these guys and I'm just thrilled with their work. Very cool guys, conscientious and they are mobile which is a huge bonus in my mind. I loved that they came to me!

I had a choice of XPEL, Suntek or 3M SG Pro 2 for the same price. I researched this quite a bit and I think they are all excellent films. They prefer the newest version of the 3M film but use them all and understand all the pros and cons. I looked at several XPEL jobs recently and now that the film is installed I think the 3M looks better than the XPEL (not knocking the XPEL here at all -- it's great film). The 3M film is very transparent with almost no orange peel. We will see how it holds up but it's backed by 3M for 7 years (material and labor). For reference XPEL has a 10 year warranty and Suntek 5 year. These are all very good films.

The film and installation exceeded my expectations in every way.

Opti-Guard Pro
    This particular version of the product is available to pros only. I would have loved to apply it myself but it's not available for sale to end users. The product flashes very quickly and if applied improperly it will look hazy and need to be buffed off (it's not easy to remove).

Installer did an outstanding job. The following was coated:
    • Entire exterior of the car -- all painted surfaces. Applied to the top of the paint film in areas where the film was installed
    • Front brake calipers
    • Wheels (front face, rear face and barrel. Each wheel was removed and all metal surfaces where coated
    • All lights
    • All plastic trim
    • All exterior Windows except the windshield
    I'm a big Optimum fan and I use almost all of their product line. I've used and installed the end user of this product (when it was called Opti-coat 2.0, there is a newer version out now) but this is the first time for Opti-coat pro for me.

Here are a few pictures. There really isn't much to see but that is a good thing ;). The PPF film just looks super. I really hoping it helps keep my paint nice!...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cruisin1966

Cruisin1966 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So, I gotta ask, how much did all this work cost you, or probably more accurately, what would it cost a normal human being?

• Like Like x 1
  3. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    is that a knife in the guys hand?

if so you may want to read up on some articles of people removing the stuff years later and all the cut lines in their paint......i saw the guy use a knife on my 2015 gmc i had done recently.......i am not returning to him for many reasons, but thats one of them...never a reason to use a knife it its done correctly(or so my new guy tells me)

mine goes in for Xpel this Friday

4. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, it's a knife. The top of the bumper was custom cut on site because the XPEL pattern was poor in this area.

These guys (and most other installers) will tell you that they try hard NOT to use a knife but it is necessary in many cases. Sometimes they need to cut a relieve slit other times they need to trim a little something here or there.

If you think you will get a great job without a knife then don't get the film (rarely is a pattern perfect). They were super careful and I'm thrilled with their work! Could there be a mark here or there... most definitely!.. These guys were meticulous and tried their best. Two guys spent approx 4 hours and 45 minutes doing this install. I'm already lining up my next job for them ;)

5. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is an excellent overview of your prep and research. Thanks for sharing that. Your Hellbaby looks awesome! Very cool.:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cost is hard to say. From my research the prices are ALL over the map.. I checked out four local companies. For the film the lowest price company was 1/2 of the highest cost company. I looked at all their work and honestly the lowest price guy was every bit as good as the highest price guy. I'm picky and I considered everything with prep and installer skill as key.

For the paint protection it depends a lot on how much prep your car needs. Most cars need way more than you think. Mine needed almost zero but again I am a fairly decent hobby detailer. For various paint products like this (or other competitive ones -- there are proabably a 1/2 dozen different options out there) I've heard of prices as low as $400 to as high as several thousand. Again, required prep, where you live etc is a BIG factor.

I personally think that both of these are very high profit items.

I paid $1250 (charged me less than original quote) for the film and $700 for the paint. I think I did very well on the film. Not as well on the paint as there was VERY little prep required on my car (no buffing whatsoever, just a wipe down and application of the product specific primer).

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  7. yurdaddy

yurdaddy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That sublime green keeps growing on me more and more. Looks great ..

8. HOONAGN

HOONAGN FLOOR IT!

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Safe sex

9. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey not bad at all, it looks like a pro did it oh wait it is done by pros!!

10. noboost4you

noboost4you <Insert witty title here>

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    One local Xpel Ultimate installer wants a little over $1700 for all the areas you had mentioned in your original post. I found this company through Xpel's website. They are factory trained and able to install onsite. The cost seems high, but with a 10 year warranty, it's not too expensive in the end. There are other local companies that install Xpel, but they are not listed as a dealer on Xpel's website, so I'm hesitant to inquire.

• Like Like x 1