I got a ticket today for my radar jammer.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by qzking, Sep 19, 2015.

1. qzking

qzking Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was heading down Pacific Coast Highway this morning when I went around a slower car and my K40 screamed that "instant on radar". As I came by the motorcycle officer I see him looking at his radar gun and, then, at me. He, calmly, placed the gun back in the holder and then, here he comes. I turned off the system and just hoped it was a 5 or 10 over ticket. Nope. First thing he says is, "nice car". Then, "You know radar jamming devices are illegal". He then proceeded to photograph the sensors on the grill. And then he photographed my hood, which has pin striped on it...707HP... and the custom Hellcat badges, etc. When he asked me to sign the ticket (computer) I asked him if the pinstriping was illegal too. He smiled and said, "really nice car ". I lit the 10.5" Nitos I had just installed last week on my new, one off, custom wheels, for a little extra effect, as I knew he would appreciate it. (I will be posting photos, or a link, thereto, as soon as I get my custom Billet parts installed under the hood and the photo shoot done) Heading for the 3600 car, Cruisin' For The Cure at Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa, CA, car show next Saturday to show off my monster.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What was the fine amount?

3. Hulk

Hulk Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That sucks. I'm looking at getting the passport 9500CI. Not illegal in any of the states I frequent. Would have been a better story if he let you off.

The first 100 miles I had my car I got pulled over on a main road. I knew I wasn't speeding since he had been following me for a while. Cop walked up, said "is it real?" I simply popped the hood and had a 30 min chat on the side of the road.

• Like Like x 1
  4. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did he write you for lighting those up too? Make sure you attend the LX festival in March in Irvine. We will see you there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    why a radar jammer in the first place? The worst ticket you can get is called "professional judgement" which cannot be beaten...

I was pulled over in Oakland last week while I was driving it like a baby carriage--the CHP Officer asked "off the record how fast have you taken it"--I replied it only has 300 miles on it but it will do 125 on the entrance ramp... he laughed his a$$ off.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. qzking

qzking Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Will let you known when I know.

7. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well, hope the hellcat gods intervene and make it sting less good luck.

8. qzking

qzking Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well, it was not quite the party you refer to. It was polite, respectful and professional. Other than his taking photos and telling me how much he liked the car. Lesson learned. Will be visiting the provider of my last 3 systems for his input/opinion/donation...

9. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    hope they don't tap into your wallet too much.
    do you think the cop was butt hurt over the thing or just doing his job???

• Like Like x 1
  10. JonWrong

JonWrong Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Radar jammer!? Do you mean laser jammer? I was not aware that anyone sold radar jammers, and they are, in fact, illegal in every state. Radar emission is governed by tge FCC, and they don't give licences for jammers.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Cerino2000

Cerino2000 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Gotta be better than getting a speeding ticket in the long run.

12. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was just about to say something similar to that. Even the K40 doesn't jam radar, and it technically isn't a laser jammer either, more of a "shifter" they call it. Either way, yea could have said they are for laser not radar. Jamming laser isn't illegal yet as it is controlled by the FDA not FCC

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Trentster

Trentster Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Radar can be jammed but not by anything I would want to physically be located in or next to. Lasers can't be jammed. They can be refracted or reflected away and so can radar, but your car wouldn't look anything like a Hellcat. It's all snake oil! The Valentine One and Passport Max are great detectors, but useless if you are the only speeding car on the road. They will just confirm you were caught- lol

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  14. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    One of the FEW nice things in CA, CHP etc usually drive around with radar constant on, I'll usually pick them up 2 miles or so away even if I am the only one out there

15. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    To the OP, hope he wrote you up for a Radar Jammer, since as is said above you don't own one. FYI I have that system installed also. Glad to hear the diffuser activated. Nothing else rubs a traffic cop worse than being defeated at their own electronic game.

Good cop story to add to the discussion this morning. Unfortunately I was in my daily Tahoe. Wish I was in the Kitty, he would have been more fun. Followed a black charger at actually 5-10 over on a four lane Friday afternoon. Soon realized it was one good looking squad car. They had a "Hemi" sticker on the back bumper, "Hemi powered" decals on the hood. Pulled up next to him at the stoplight, on his left. I motioned for him to roll down his window. Told him that was the best squad car I had ever seen. He responds, "I love it"! I say, "I bet' I own a SRT and can understand." His grin was set for the rest of the afternoon. It was good to be nice to them, in light of some of the "other" treatment they get.

• Like Like x 1