I just put a deposit on an unspoken-for allocation! How long from VIN to Ship/Delivery?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by RadCat, Feb 13, 2015.

1. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I found a dealer, across the US from me, last night with a guaranteed allocation. I negotiated the pricing down to $3k over MSRP and placed my deposit on it this morning. The order will go in Monday (I'm waffling on interior color). My other choice is to keep waiting in VON hell possibly several more months before I get a VIN. And I was having trouble finding one on the lot matching what I want for that same price.

I was told that Monday/Tuesday are the Dodge 'settle-up' or balance days of the month for Feb, so I expect the order to be placed and perhaps get a VIN then or pretty quick right?

How long from the day I get a VIN until it ships? What has the average been on cars that haven't gotten hung up because of option choices? This salesman said 8 weeks at the latest. So far they seem pretty straight forward and honest.

ResumeSpeed are there any current options that would cause a delay?

2. GottaHaveaCat

GottaHaveaCat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got a VIN in mid-January, SRT Team told me my build was scheduled for week of March 16th. Usually 3-5 weeks for delivery after build. But these times vary A LOT... I think there are those on here that got a VIN and took delivery within a month.

Good luck to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm not a real expert, but I do read an inordinate amount of posts, and I have heard that the orders are supposed to be entered into the system by tonight...and there is no option for 'waffling' so I'd worry about leaving a deposit on an un-enterable order! The time for waffling is BEFORE you order your car!

4. Harley88

Harley88 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If your not dealing with the person who is THE order input person, I think your dealing with the wrong person, personally speaking.
    if dealer has allocation, please explain what it's not in their best interest to input order ASAP? Why would it an anyway be of advantage to wait? Just my two cents. Kinda a follow the money thing..

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I haven't ordered it. Just put a $500 deposit on the allocation to hold it for me. ResumeSpeed can you confirm or deny the deadline for a Feb order being tonight or Mon/Tues? I hope it's not tonight, my salesman was actually off today and tomorrow.

6. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As popular as these cars are, I'd be scared some other Hellcattian would walk in, or call in with credit-card digits, and simply offer a grand, (above MSRP, and upfront) and snake the allocation away...happens all the time on these cars.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Harley88

Harley88 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ^^^ what he said. if you want it, why your not on phone with the owner of that dealership, I do not understand. Not being a dick, yes I have mine, but there is somebody who will put in more effort and make a decision RIGHT NOW to get that allotment Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That could still happen, even if I ordered it 3 hours ago. They can still sell it out from under me at any point until I actually sign the final paperwork and take physical possession of the car because it belongs to them, technically, up until that point. Sure the car comes in, some high roller see's it roll off the trailer and walks in with $20k over MSRP and it leaves with him. This can happen to any of us.

The GM said it won't make any difference on delivery of the car if it's ordered today or Monday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I got in to a similar situation about placing an order with a dealer that said they had a "guaranteed allocation" for the month of January. Turns out, this was bust. Further, the salesperson I was working with was easy to get information from first, until after a deposit was placed and then I could not even get a POC from the dealer until about a week later. After getting tossed around between no direct contact with they guy that puts the orders in the system and tossed between 2 GMs, and finally getting the, we'll guarantee to have the car there in 8-12 weeks, I pulled the order.

My first dealer already has the 1st order with a VIN. I'm the 2nd order so it is just a matter of time. Further, it was less than 5 minutes after asking for an updated POC that the dealer owner personally emailed it. These guys are on point. I got several calls from other dealers in the area that were originally selling for $10-20k over MSRP that, all of the sudden, are offering MSRP. That was Thursday and each one stressed they had to have the order in by that day.

Long story short, I think you're getting bamboozled with a dealer that is hoping to get an allocation from the Tuesday rebalance. None the less, my understanding is that the rebalance, unused allocations will go toward order date priority vehicles.

10. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm paying attention and watching for shenanigans. If all else fails, I've still got a VON at my first order, 2 people in front of me now. Worst case scenario is it might take a while to get my $500 deposit back from this new dealer and if it's more trouble than its worth (my time) I can live without it. And I can continue to look for one that's on-lot. I'll find out a lot about how this dealer handles this process and their customers next week.

11. Lurch251

Lurch251 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I ordered from a dealership here in Oklahoma on Dec 22nd, 2014 and I was told 6-8 weeks for delivery. Still waiting in BX status with only a VON. Been looking around the whole country for one remotley close to my order but they've either been sold or asking $20K over. Found one that has one on the lot at $7K over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I talked to several that had the on lot, usually in the $7-10k over range. I know there are two in OKC, black, 6sp. I got several calls from them last week. He mentioned $5-10 over. I told him I wasn't in the market at $10, *maybe* at $5 if they treated me EXTRA special on my SRT8 trade-in. I think that if you had a nice cash down payment, you could get them down to $2.5k.

13. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Rad...during my search, I too spoke with several dealers in far off lands/out of state. There were some who said YES, we have allocations. For some reason, I didn't bite and didn't ask about those with VONS in front of me. After calling all over, I finally decided to regain my thoughts and gave my local guy another shot...this time going to the back and speaking with the fleet mgr...good guy. This is when the sitch became clear for me. I found out that there were no Vons ahead of me but no allocations as well. Spoke with owner who said hopefully 30-60 days an allocation will appear. Just felt more comfortable with a face to face transaction, but thats me and I am ready for a long wait. If it doesn't happen, so be it.

14. Lurch251

Lurch251 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is the first time I have ever ordered a car and especially one in this high of a demand. I have a VON and it's in BX status but I know the dealership I ordered from had 4 allocations and placed orders for all 4 right when they got them. With mine being a "sold order" and having a VON in BX does that mean I'm actually in line for the car to be built or waiting for the next allocation for my dealership?

Sorry to sound like an idiot but this is all new to me.

15. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    you are in the same sitch as me. VON/BX means yes...we are waiting for the dealer to get another allocation. It really helps to know where you are on the dealers VON list. Older orders should be sent in for VIN/D/D1first when allocation arrives. Anyone in front of you? If you are first on the list/oldest date in their system VON/BX you should get the next alloc. Make sure you are speaking with mgt, fleet mgr, GSM or owner. Relationships are important. Good Luck and feel free to ask away....

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1