I Really Love Bathing The Hellcat Now

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Appearance' started by Robo21, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For years I have always wanted a wringer for my chamois and microfiber towels like the kind you find at some of the coin-op, self serve carwashes. So I finally decided to pull the trigger and buy one that I found on Amazon. It had 5 stars came in both steel and stainless steel so I paid the extra $30 and bought the stainless version. Sorry I ever did - I don't see how it got so many 5 star reviews.

Turns out it didn't work so well, in fact it was nothing like the kind they have at the carwashes. So I returned it and bought the zinc plated, slightly bigger but $35 cheaper Calliger model.

Holy smokes! This thing is amazing! Not only is it vastly easier to use than the first one I purchased, it works much better than any wringer I have ever used at the carwash. This is phenomenal. My chamois comes out 95% dry, I mean there is no way to get even 1 more drop out of it after just one pass. Same goes for the Meguire Water Magnet and the Costco Microfiber Towels.

This thing makes car washing even more fun than just washing the Hellcat without a wringer. Now I look forward to bathing the cat.

To mount it I put some quick setting concrete in a 5 gallon bucket, Took a 2x6" and made an insert to go into the bucket and voila! I move the bucket wherever I need it on a handtruck because it weighs 60 lbs. I probably didn't need it that heavy but I haven't had time to make a new one yet. The first wringer that I returned was so hard to crank that it needed the heavier weight. The Calliger is much easier to use and much more effective at removing water.

When it's on the handtruck there is a milk crate underneath to make it a more convenient height.

20160609_162405_resized.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. speedycat

speedycat VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    May check into this as well. Just wasnt ready to add 15min to my wash time. Man this car is big. Alot of big body panels. Alittle of a back breaker on the hand waxing. But fun none the less.

• Like Like x 1
  3. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good post. I hate to admit it but I've never actually saw one of these even at a public type carwash. It looks and sounds pretty cool. I guess it's time to go to Amazon and check it out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. graycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oh yes, I recognize the Home Depot bucket;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This particular wringer is absolutely amazing. The mounting hardware on the Calliger is literally twice the thickness as the stainless steel wringer from Wiseman. On paper and with the 5 star rating, and the idea of the stainless steel version being an option, the Wiseman sounds like the best wringer on paper. But in actual use, the Calliger is leaps and bounds the far better product. I was completely disappointed with the Wiseman model.

I am amazed at how much water the Calliger extracts. This is what makes a good wringer such an asset when it comes to washing a car. With almost all of the water squeezed out of a chamois or towel they become so much more absorbent that it cuts the drying time in half. Before this, drying the car was always the most work and least enjoyable part of the job. And no matter how hard I tried I could never get all the water out of the chamois or towel. I know it sounds crazy but now I look forward to washing the car.

With any of these wringers, mounting is crucial to having a good result. If you have a 2x4" railing or sturdy square metal railing to mount the clamps to then you will not need to go with the bucket or other homemade contraption. Some of the Amazon users show various wringers attached to galvanized wash tubs or buckets of various types which I tried. None were sturdy enough to offer a stable foundation.

The 2X6" piece of wood I used is 17" wide, the part that goes down into the bucket is 11" wide by 3" tall. I used 2, 3" dry wall screws with washers on each side of the bucket to anchor the wood. The wringer is as solid as a rock on this setup. With my handtruck the setup is portable and can be wheeled wherever I need it.

Without a doubt this is the best auto accessory I have ever purchased. I can't believe I waited so long to buy one.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds great. I bought a mega blaster and went to use it last week for the first time. UK is 240v and the mega blaster is 110v. Cable is 18" long with the wrong plug. I've bought a 10 metre extension cable and now I have to buy a converter. What a dumbass I am

7. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Doh! Sounds like something I would do! :( Poor you! At least it is an easy fix.

April

8. graycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the post. Very useful!

• Like Like x 1
  9. cleankat

cleankat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Pretty cool device, but why not use a master blaster and less towels? Less touching of the paint and gets the water out of crevices.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. FLEX

FLEX Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    That is quite the contraption.....can't see myself going to this length to wring out a chamois though. I just twist it in my hands and that's good enough for me.

How much does that thing weigh? I guess you get the added bonus of a light workout every time you use it. :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I couldn't agree more, the less touching the better. However, I tried various high powered blowers but always ended up having to use towels or a chamois anyway to finish up. And then the worst part was that it seems like the blower would occasionally kick up a fine layer of dust that would inevitably settle back down on my freshly cleaned cars.

It came back down to just using towels or a chamois and making the best of that. With clean towels I have no scratches.

Whether it's a chamois or a microfiber towel they work best, of course, when they are moist - definitely not dry - but with as much water removed as possible. In this way they have the greatest capacity to pick up more water. A really good wringer, like this one, will remove virtually every removable drop of water from the drying towel thereby yielding the greatest capacity to pick up more water. There is no way, unless you are the Incredible Hulk, you can wring a chamois or a towel to remove most of the liquid. Plus one pass on the wringer gets more than 3-4 hand wringing grips which take considerably more time.

My wife likes to help with the car washing, she gets pleasure out of doing the project with me, she has a touch of arthritis in her wrists and needs the added help the wringer provides. I have above average upper body strength and still can't even approach half of what the wringer removes. As an experiment, I tried wringing out the chamois as best I could - it's an extra large one so that takes 3 or 4 different positions on the chamois - then running the chamois through the wringer and was surprised at the amount of additional water the wringer removed. The wringer gets out at least double the water in just one pass which doesn't take nearly as long as hand wringing the chamois. Although I must admit that hand wringing does provide an excellent workout for the forearms. I just don't enjoy wringing the chamois and the wringer is vastly better suited for the job.

Bottom line is this: Wringing out the chamois and towels was the only unpleasant part of washing the car for us. Now I enjoy using the wringer - I look forward to it in fact. And the wringer is much better at removing the water that it cuts the car drying time in half or better.

I guess it's not for everyone, I was excited by my experience and I thought I would share it here. I never let anyone else wash my cars, not a car wash, not the dealer, no one. And anything that makes it enjoyable is a bonus. I had hoped I could share this find with other like minded enthusiasts and that they would find it as worthwhile as we do.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  12. FLEX

FLEX Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Not quite, but close...... ;)

Hey I'm not knocking it. It's a cool contraption. Just not something I'd be willing to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was a guptills Friday night where cars gather and mi game amongst each other. It is a large parking lot because it is the largest indoor roller skating rink in the US. It also has a ice cream stand that is incredibly busy and big

One of members from our north east challenger fb guys had his sublime cat there.
    He did the zaino treatment on his car and it was unreal smooth. The paint looked incredible Although the application process seems hard and time consuming, it gives the car a look I can't believe.
    I know the there is other treatments out there but it has to be hands down one of, if not the best product to use. The towels you get with the kit and the softest microfiber towels ever!!!!

14. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Absolutely! A week after we picked up the Hellcat we did the Dawn/Clay bar treatment followed by 6 coats of Zaino Z2+ZFX combo followed by the Grand Finale Spray Z-8. The cat looks wet and the clear coat so deep it looks 3D. Once you get the hang of the Zaino process it is not so much more time consuming as other polishes. Regardless of the effort, IMO it is worth every minute

No doubt their towels and polish applicators are made of the best USA made materials and designed to protect the car's finish. And their tire and leather products are top notch as well.

We've had the same '99 Lincoln Navigator I bought new for 17 years. The finish is original and looks great because we invested the time and energy to keep it that way. I just wish I had purchased the wringer 17 years ago, it would have saved so much time.

15. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Improved the mounting system. This is much lighter, more portable and the elevation makes using the wringer much easier to use.

20160613_184922_resized.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1